Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2015, 06:59 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Getting new roof, need your opinions, please.

We have had our '05 Discovery for about a month now and I have had my share of rookie mistakes. One of the biggest was clipping a tree branch with my awning, basically destroying it and ripping a piece out of the roof.

Progressive adjuster came out today and left me with an estimate of over $8000 for new awning and new roof. He said if the damage was in the middle of the roof where it would not be visible from the ground then they would consider a patch job, but the damage is on the edge where a patch would be visible.

So getting a new roof. There are many things on the roof of this coach that I am not sure I need. For instance there are two old satellite radio antennas (my new one is on the front of the dash). Also a Winegard Traveler, which I assume would work if I were to activate it. I have not even thought about activating it yet, too busy updating the TVs and doing other upgrades.

So should I have the winegard reinstalled? I have heard that non-permanent dishes are the way to go. I am not even sure we need a dish at this point.

There are some other things on the roof that I can't even identify. My plan is to have them remove all the old, nonfunctional stuff.

Also, the roof is TPO. I think that is a pretty good option for replacement, and I sure the insurance won't want to pay for any kind of upgrade, but I am open to suggestion there.

Thanks in advance.

Monty
montyhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2015, 07:37 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Sorry, I mistyped. It is actually a Windgard Roadtrip SDi
Old 12-03-2015, 07:07 AM   #3

As far as roof replacement goes, you have more options now than just a few years ago. If I were to replace the roof on my Dutch Star, I would seriously look into one of the spray on roofs that come with a lifetime warranty against leaks. I was quoted a price of $3800 earlier this year. I especially like the idea of never having to climb up on the roof ever again to caulk.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 07:57 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramets View Post
As far as roof replacement goes, you have more options now than just a few years ago. If I were to replace the roof on my Dutch Star, I would seriously look into one of the spray on roofs that come with a lifetime warranty against leaks. I was quoted a price of $3800 earlier this year. I especially like the idea of never having to climb up on the roof ever again to caulk.
EXACTLY!!!!!!

I have seen those spray on roofs on a few motor homes and, without a doubt, if I were in the OPs shoes, I'd hammer the insurance company right into the ground to make them consider a spray on roof. They are basically INDESTRUCTABLE and, like stated, life time warranty and, THEY'RE CHEAPER THAN the original rubber (no matter what type) material. You can get up there and dance after one of those is sprayed on.

As for replacing the existing equipment on the roof, well, I suspect that most of it is up there for a reason. Before I'd go slicing off any of it, I'd identify each and every component up there to find out what it's for.

I can't imagine anything on an RV roof that's not needed and, doesn't have a reason to be there. I mean, there's tilt-able roof vents, plumbing vents, T/V satellite domes or dishes, antennas-C/B, radio/ XM Radio, sometimes small solar panels that are supposed to keep house batteries charged, tilt-able over-the-air T/V antennas (Batwing or its replacement "Jack" version) etc.

As far as keeping the satellite dish, what ever model it is, I'd keep it in a heartbeat. You never know when you might activate it. If you slice it off the roof simply because you don't know when that might happen, then all of a sudden you run into a wazoo deal of satellite T/V and need that dish, well guess what, you'll have to pay to get it re-installed.

Not to mention resale of the coach. Some future buyers might have a deal with satellite T/V companies while changing coaches and if they're looking at yours when you're trying to sell it but, there's no provisions on the roof for one, a potential buyer might just walk away when there's one down the road that has one on the roof. Just a thought here.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 08:58 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

You need to make sure the two coax feeds to the dome remains accessible anyway, and the dome itself mounts with just some screws, so no real reason not to re-mount it. If you want to use it, it's there. If you want to replace it or get rid of it later, no big deal either.

If you do decide to skip it, make sure they somehow make an access port so you - or a future owner - can connect a dome up to the two satellite coax feeds that come up through the roof. It's a real PITA if they get buried when they lay the new roof.

Did you damage the roof susbstrate or just rip off the waterproof layer (TPO sheeting)? New sheeting is a straight-forward repair and any old cut-outs remain in the wood (probably luan plywood) substrate (a/c, vent pipes, various antenna holes, etc.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 01:57 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
You need to make sure the two coax feeds to the dome remains accessible anyway, and the dome itself mounts with just some screws, so no real reason not to re-mount it. If you want to use it, it's there. If you want to replace it or get rid of it later, no big deal either.

If you do decide to skip it, make sure they somehow make an access port so you - or a future owner - can connect a dome up to the two satellite coax feeds that come up through the roof. It's a real PITA if they get buried when they lay the new roof.

Did you damage the roof susbstrate or just rip off the waterproof layer (TPO sheeting)? New sheeting is a straight-forward repair and any old cut-outs remain in the wood (probably luan plywood) substrate (a/c, vent pipes, various antenna holes, etc.
I thought about having the roofers leave a plate over the coax location. I don't see myself ever using the current dome as I am firmly a directv guy, so I am deciding between a portable and a winegard trav'ler.

I think the damage to the underlying structure is very minor. I expect they will just replace the membrane.

Thanks for the insight.
Old 12-03-2015, 02:01 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
EXACTLY!!!!!!

I have seen those spray on roofs on a few motor homes and, without a doubt, if I were in the OPs shoes, I'd hammer the insurance company right into the ground to make them consider a spray on roof. They are basically INDESTRUCTABLE and, like stated, life time warranty and, THEY'RE CHEAPER THAN the original rubber (no matter what type) material. You can get up there and dance after one of those is sprayed on.

As for replacing the existing equipment on the roof, well, I suspect that most of it is up there for a reason. Before I'd go slicing off any of it, I'd identify each and every component up there to find out what it's for.

I can't imagine anything on an RV roof that's not needed and, doesn't have a reason to be there. I mean, there's tilt-able roof vents, plumbing vents, T/V satellite domes or dishes, antennas-C/B, radio/ XM Radio, sometimes small solar panels that are supposed to keep house batteries charged, tilt-able over-the-air T/V antennas (Batwing or its replacement "Jack" version) etc.

As far as keeping the satellite dish, what ever model it is, I'd keep it in a heartbeat. You never know when you might activate it. If you slice it off the roof simply because you don't know when that might happen, then all of a sudden you run into a wazoo deal of satellite T/V and need that dish, well guess what, you'll have to pay to get it re-installed.

Not to mention resale of the coach. Some future buyers might have a deal with satellite T/V companies while changing coaches and if they're looking at yours when you're trying to sell it but, there's no provisions on the roof for one, a potential buyer might just walk away when there's one down the road that has one on the roof. Just a thought here.
Scott
I'll ask the service manager about the spray on roof options. I suspect the insurance company is going to want to go with the same stuff.

I can recognize the important stuff, vents etc. But some stuff I think is probably just left up there. Maybe ill post some pictures...
Old 12-03-2015, 06:25 PM   #8

A Winegard RoadTrip SDi will work with either Direct TV or Dish. You just have to flip one dip switch under the cover to select one or the other. The one drawback is it won't track the high def satellite (129 for Dish) but works fine on the others.
navigator336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 06:56 PM   #9

getting new roof

Have your roof done with a Rhino spray-on. Its called rhino-Eco-coat a great repair or restoration solution. Company contact Dawson Stewart 858-450-0441.Video under RV rhino roof spray.

My friend used a company in Tn Elzy's RV Service Galatians Tn. Looks great never have to worry about cleaning or repairs also no more UA chemicals.

Also keep the satellite.
Big Larry
Big Larry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof