Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2012, 08:50 AM   #1

getting on the roof

so i am wondering what is the correct way to disperse my weight on the roof of our 1990 georgie boy class a encounter? this is a new to me coach and i need to pull the front a/c cowl off to replace the blower motor. the roof was replaced on it 6 years ago, and it has never had any leaks. i was thinking about ripping a 4x8 sheet of plywood in half but then the plywood might be hard on the roof membrane. any thoughts? thanks in advance-josh

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2012, 08:56 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Assuming you are normal weight and it sounds like a rubber/membrane roof vs fiberglass I would just walk on it with normal rubber soled shoes. Just make sure no sand or stones on sole..Oh and make sure roof dry so you don't slip and fall off.

clubmed98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:05 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
Like clubmed98 said.. You can walk on it. It's tougher than you think. You'll need to walk on it to wash it too. Do NOT use any Petroleum based product on it to clean or seal it.
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:27 AM   #4

The rafters are usually doubled up in the area of the A/C to handle the weight of them bouncing around on the road. Hopefully the person doing the re roof knew that. Hard to tell what's it's built of though. I would say if it feels "springy" to try and work on it from the sides vs in front of or in back of it. Also, staying on your hands and knees while in the center helps spread you weight out big time. Last, if you want to try your plywood plan, through a blanket down under it?
Old 04-17-2012, 10:04 AM   #5

i am told the georgie boy has a fiberglass roof with a membrane over it? sound right? thanks guys.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:31 PM   #6
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
There is only one way to take care of things on the roof.
Here is how:

roof - iRV2.com RV Photo Gallery (when picture loads, right click and choose "View image.")

It did require some technical ability. I had to raise the batwing for a good cleaning.

Check with the manufacturer and ask how much weight the roof can support - then decide.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:51 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Wayne,

I see you have the front wheels on blocks. What was the reason for that? Also, did you use the levelers to get the wheels off of the ground then retract them after you blocked under them?
Old 04-17-2012, 02:20 PM   #8
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by athuddriver View Post
Wayne,

I see you have the front wheels on blocks. What was the reason for that? Also, did you use the levelers to get the wheels off of the ground then retract them after you blocked under them?
I'll answer, but let's not hijack the thread. We can PM or start another one.

My driveway has an overall 17-20 inch drop from back to front. The distance between the rear duals and the front tires is about an 8 inch drop. Although that may be within the tolerances for the refrigerator, it is not comfortable to walk inside, doors keep swinging open, and the very large slide on the passenger side groans like a devil when it's not level. I have three 2x10's with 5/8" plywood on top, so that gives me just about 3 inches, or a little less. The bottom board is close to 3', the next one 2', and the top on 1'. Each has a beveled edge. DW stands by the side window and I back up on them with one foot on the brake and the other on the accelerator. I can feel when the coach rises on each board and stop when she says to and when I feel that last bump up. Then she will inch me back a few more inches. It is not perfectly level, but it makes it easier to load and unload.

Trying to use the jack would require about 6 inches of blocks to get the coach level without hyper-extending the jacks. the stroke is about 17+a-few inches and would not be enough to raise it to level status. Besides that I do not like the wheels off the ground. When we pull into a site that has a wheel of the ground after I level, I'll drop it and run it up on ramps I have to keep the wheel on a surface.

One thing in the picture missing, and I put it on just after I took the picture are chocks on the back wheels. Just a safety thing. I also have a piece of PVC, slit, that will fit around the air brake release button. I'm fortunate that my air brake button is on the dash and not on the side panel.

Happy trails.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:36 PM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
Josh: I had a 1990 GeorgieBoy Cruise master; The roof was rubber membrane, over luwan or plywood. (It would be unusual to have rubber over fiberglas). The roof would support my walking weight just fine. The cautions about clean rubber soles and not puncturing or tearing the membane are good. --But It's pretty tough. ( Normally when the roof is replaced, they replace the membrane and any wood underlayment that is damaged.)
The AirCond. covers become brittle with age so handle with care.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:39 PM   #10

thanks guys- gonna crawl up there tomorrow..wish this thing had a ladder on it, that might be next.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:28 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
I'll answer, but let's not hijack the thread. We can PM or start another one.
OH...I was just wondering if you had it jacked up to put a slope on the roof to make sure it drained after being hosed down. LOL I was thinking...marvelous idea. Then again, I haven't figured out if my questions are really that smart yet either.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:58 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
I believe most roofs can support the average person. But while kneeling down and working I have found that knees or even elbows (anything small that pushes down on the roof, small area with a lot of weight) can cause damage. Sort of the same reason years ago before flooring was improved some flooring manufactures said high heel shoes were not recommended. Too much weight in a small area. It would leave dents in flooring. To be on the safe side I would suggest pieces of 1/2 plywood with carpet glued to one side. 3' x 3' is a very workable size. Lay the carpeted side down and work on it. It disperses your weight evenly over a larger area. Over kill to some, piece of mind to others...good luck.
Joshua 24:15
ChucknTammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:25 AM   #13
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Chuck has a good idea there to distribute the weight over a larger surface area. Sort of like wearing snow shoes in "cold" country.

Don,
Don't fret. Some of my answers are pretty dumb at times.

Tags
roof