Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2013, 07:29 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Getting Ready to Apply Eternabond

Finally going to order eternabond (amazon.com) and apply it to my front & end caps and the top side seams. I'll be using rubbing alcohol and also a wooden roller.
So, before I begin are there any thoughts out there as to DON'T DO IT, you'll be sorry??
Anyone done it and then regretted it?

I'm going to try to do the caps in a single piece and also the full length. I'll be doing about a foot at a time as Vegasdan did.

I'm wondering how far to run the tape on the caps down the side. Anyone got pictures showing how it looks when done???

And yes, after the roof seams all the rest of the stuff up there will also get it.

sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2013, 07:58 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Thor Owners Club
done it with the recommended cleaner eternabond recommends. we bought 4" wide and cut it in half to lay over the edges of the original tape...
we first cleaned our roof with a MrClean scrubber...

Old 06-21-2013, 10:22 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Joe, I can't tell you how it's gonna look, that depends a lot on you, but I guarantee you will be happy with the results!

I resealed all the openings on my roof. I used alcohol to do minimal cleaning but I understand some folks have used Acetone. It doesn't take a lot of cleaning as the Eternabond sticks to just about anything!

Just be SURE you have it positioned perfectly before letting it touch the surface! It is almost impossible to get it up if you screw up! I always cut the tape to the right length, then pulled the backing off just an inch or so on the end, pulling the rest of the backing off as I applied the tape. DON"T make the mistake of pulling all the backing off before starting!

Just take your time, be careful, and everything will turn out great!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:00 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi sgtjoe,
Before applying the e'Bond consider dropping a chalk line along where you want one edge of the e'Bond to go. I've done my roof. The order of events is:
1. back cap
2. sides
3. front cap
This is so the seams are okay to take the wind as one goes down the road. The caps and side runs were done without cutting the e'Bond. Once one lays the chalk line it is easy to work in small segments and just unroll the e'Bond as needed.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:04 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I just did the front cap seam on my Winnebago Sightseer 35J. My intention was to do one piece all the way across, and that is what I did but if I had a do-over I would do the horizontal part first and the detail the corner down to the sidewall. Starting at the sidewall for me was difficult, I got a few wrinkles and air bubbles. I bought ten foot by 6 inch kits from RVUpgrades and a can of cleaner. The kit includes a spatula, Scotch-Brite pad and tube of sealant for the edge of the tape. I'm happy with it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Phone Download June 17 2013 107.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	41009  
Old 06-21-2013, 04:13 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Here's a few pics of my MH. How far down should I run the tape on the side??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1704.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	161.7 KB
ID:	41032   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1705.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	41033  

Old 06-21-2013, 06:16 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
How far you go with the tape is up to you. You are using a seam sealing tape and there is a seam below the roof line above the window so if you are comfortable with the product and your skills then it is worth consideration to cover the vertical seam. They don't call it Eternabond for nothing. Mistakes will not be easily removed, but they can be covered.
Old 06-22-2013, 01:51 AM   #8

Lots of great suggestions already posted.

FWIW....suggest you consider getting the metal roller instead of wood. The one offered by EBond folks is industrial strength and really helps press the tape down on the surface and force out many of the inevitable air bubbles. The tape's curing process is significantly improved by the pressure applied, and the metal roller is really the way to go. You might also have a couple of pins, an Exacto knife or a couple of razor blades to help "drain" air out of those air bubbles. You will also need to keep you cleaner handy to clean the scissor edges....the tape will leave a residue on them. BTW, I have used the metal roller for many other projects, so it was well worth it for me.

You will find the tape can be cut and shaped fairly easily PRIOR to application, so you can get a bit creative with the stuff. I rounded/blended the cap-to-side tape (black) intersections by using smaller pieces of tape adjacent to and on top of the main tape for a smooth, flowing appearance. I also blended the side tape into the coach's graphics for the same type of appearance....the color scheme on our coach worked exceptionally well for this technique.

Only you can determine how creative you want to be. The beauty of EBond, IMO, is that even the smaller pieces applied to a clean surface will stick like concrete. Thus, you don't have to settle for square 90 degree intersections if you don't want to. Hope this helps.....
Old 06-22-2013, 04:34 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtjoe View Post
Here's a few pics of my MH. How far down should I run the tape on the side??
I did mine about 6 years ago. Very similar layout to yours and ran the tape down as far as the drip rail. IMHO I wouldn't do the vertical part below the rail as it would be obvious and look bad. I washed the area thoroughly with soap and water first to get rid of the major grundge and the chalking on the rubber. Once dry, I went over it again with alcohol. As others have said, go slowly and methodically and make sure it's where you want it before you stick it down...because after 6 years outside all the time, this stuff hasn't moved bulged or bubbled.

For it's purpose, one of the most impressive products I've come across!
Old 06-22-2013, 07:54 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Thanks for all the suggestions, really appreciate the help a person gets from this forum.

One more request, any experience/suggestions on where the best prices for this stuff might be??
I saw a 4x25 roll on amazon for 27 bucks sold by Leisure Time, but I don't believe it's the actual Eternabond.
Old 06-23-2013, 05:05 PM   #11

Quote:
Thanks for all the suggestions, really appreciate the help a person gets from this forum.

One more request, any experience/suggestions on where the best prices for this stuff might be??
I saw a 4x25 roll on amazon for 27 bucks sold by Leisure Time, but I don't believe it's the actual Eternabond.
Google Eternabond and look for roofing supply places. You should be able to get a 4x50 roll for $50-60.

Here's one: EternaBond RoofSeal White 4" x 50'

Amazon has it too.

Cheers,
tfw
Old 06-24-2013, 08:58 AM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

I wouldn't use anything but the REAL thing!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eternabond