Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2016, 08:37 AM   #1

Getting ready to cover fiberglass roof

I posted this first in the wrong area so posting it here:

I'm getting ready to cover my entire fiberglass roof with Dicor Fiberglass RV Roof Coating. But before I do, I'm in the process of prepping the roof. One of the things I'm planning on doing is to scrap out the old bonding caulk along all the roof seams, which includes the front and rear cap on the top and as it curves down and around to the sides to where it goes under the gutter seam molding. Then do the same thing all along the entire edge of that gutter seam on both sides. I'm also doing this same process vertically down both entire sides to the bottom of both front & rear cap. I'm going to use NuFlex 460 sealant as my chalking/bonding agent per Winnebago callout sheet.
Now, in addition to that process on the roof, after I do this dig out old sealant & replace with NuFlex 460 to the top area on the front & rear cap, I was going to lay across those top seams 4" External Bond Tape and then as the last step apply the Dicor Fiberglass RV Roof Coating to the entire roof. Here's a link to the video which explains this process.

marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2016, 10:12 AM   #2

I applied the same tape to my front cap seam after re-calking it. I figure that way I won't have to worry about it for a long time. If the tape eventually fails, so be it - remove and redo.

Ron Everson
Cortez, Colorado
1996 Bounder 34J
1995 F53 chassis w/460 ~51K miles

Old 10-18-2016, 05:56 AM   #3

Yeah I hear ya. I'm still in the process of roof prepping. I've installed both roof vents with the 360 Siphon's, have resealed all the way around the entire roof line (including front & rear caps) with clear NuFlex 460 sealant per call out sheet, replaced all crank out vent covers with smoked ones, removed both A/C unit plastic covers and cleaned out the A/C units (boy they were dirty) and applied the 4" tape on both front and rear caps.

What I have left is, get my polisher and remove the oxidation on the roof itself, then final application of self leveling around all my fixtures and on top of the 4" tape and where else is needed, sand/rough up roof top with med. sand paper to help adhesion of new roof material, then wait for 2 weeks to cure. Then watch weather for 2 good rain free days to actually apply new material.

Been a lot of work but I won't have to worry about this roof for quite awhile.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 06:24 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
No you should be good to go for ten years or more. One suggestion, seal the edges of the Eternabond tape, the adhesive will displace somewhat and the tape edges over time will curl. If caulked this problem is eliminated.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 06:51 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
I've been using roof coatings on my moho's for the last 30 years. sounds like you have it under control. What I like if you get one that has porcelain in the paint it helps with keeping the interior much cooler. When I got my last one in 98 I coated the roof when it was brand new. Never had any leaks. First coat lasted 7 years, 2nd time I'm at 11 years and it still looks good.

Tags
roof