Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-05-2013, 08:15 AM   #1
Getting ready to live the dream

My husband will be retiring in August after working his butt off as a Union Carpenter for 30 years.. We have decided to sell our home and as soon as that happens we will be hitting the road. We have already started the process of downsizing and selling our stuff.lol It has been going very well. Now to the really important issues....We have started looking to buy and it is quite overwhelming. We are looking at a purchase price of around 80,000 and that's where it gets tricky....first question is would the smart thing to do be to buy a gas motor in a newer year, or settle for an older model diesel? Also in that price range how nice of a coach should we really be able to get? Any advise is greatly appreciated!! Thanks.

Keen65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2013, 09:09 AM   #2
Retirement living

We are in a similar pre-retirement situation. At least you've made the plan to be full timers. With husband still working another year or so, I don't know how often we would be hitting the road in our MH. He says it's too expensive for just a couple tailgates. I don't know if we're ready to dive in, tow a vehicle along, etc. On the other hand, maybe we could spend the last year of his working just getting familiar with our MH and so some shorter trips while getting used to it. Good Luck! I'll be following your progress. Be sure to let us know what you buy.

theroadmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:17 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
If you are truly going to "travel" a used DP is your ticket! At 80k your looking at a 2000 to 2004 DP. There are so many post that you can use the forum search to learn from others experience. Most importantly love the floor plan, then use serious due diligence in your purchase. Best of luck! BTW:
Clay & Pebble.. Miss Butter our sweet Goldie (Jan. 2005-Jan. 2015) Sissy our Border Collie
2012 Providence 42 M. Spartan Chassis, 450 ISL
Ford Edge toad, RM All Terrane, TST TPMS, SMI Air Force One, RVM95....
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:19 AM   #4
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome to IRV2. You'll get a lot of different opinions here. I think $ 80,000 is enough to get you a nice RV. I've had two gas MH's and have been to 49 states ( almost twice ) and all 10 Canadian Provinces logging over 82,000 miles. Good luck.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:27 AM   #5
I would opt to go with a diesel pusher. You can get a pretty nice setup for $80k. I would just make sure you get as much motorhome as you can get for 80k. PPL Motorhomes has dozens (fairly new) of nice D/Ps for less than your magic number. Think about your sleeping arrangements (Queen/King), washer/dryer, etc. those are really important if you plan on spending lots of time in the RV, and can be had for the money you are wanting to spend. You may have to buy from outside your area....but that is part of the fun. Good luck with your search!

2013 Phaeton 40QBH
Freightliner Chassis/Cummins ISC 380HP
2010 Honda CRV Toad
HHg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:38 AM   #6
Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Hey, I would like my wife to be like you, be able to sell our home and stuffs, buy a Motor Home and hit the road. I just retired last fall at 60 and been RVing all our 38 years of marriage, had two gas motor home and for the last five years a 34 ft Carriage Triple Slide trailer at a fix local with a very nice Bay View. Being a Highway truck driver most of my like I love the road and lately my wife allow me to purchase a 98 American Dream Diesel Pusher which will allow me to do some road trip this Spring, Summer and Fall. If you are going to live full time into a Motor Home, you want at less a 40 ft Diesel Pusher with slide. For 80.000 you could have a 2003 to 2004 American Eagle fully loader, that would of been my dream Motor Home, however my wife would only allow me 50,000. so I had to accept a older model American Dream, but in good shape and low mileages. Good luck in your search and Happy Trails.
JoeMoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:42 AM   #7
Before you make your decision research the ride difference between gas and diesel.
greezykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:10 AM   #8
Thank you for your response. And yes the floor plan is one of my most important considerations therefore that is where my dilemma comes into play. I really want the most updated and modern feel for the interior. A large cook friendly kitchen is very important as I love to cook, also a comfy, cozy,living room area.Don't want the feel of dark and outdated wood in the interior. The newer model gas coaches have the more home sweet home feel I'm looking for but I know in the back of my mind a DP would be a much wiser choice. Hoping to find the best of both. Do you think it's possible in our price range?? Lol. Thanks again.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:27 AM   #9
Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It's very possible in your price range. Just take your time as there are plenty of coaches available. We 3/4 time in ours and it works out well being a gas coach. Heck, when we're sitting still we all have the same ammentitties. May have a couple less slide outs but the room we do have has worked out so far. Keep in mind how much you intend to carry on board regarding personal cargo. That's a big issue when on the road. The size of you toad vehicle as well. Gas coaches have a 5000lb hitch rating where most diesels are all 10,000lb rated. There's plenty to think about but it seems you have some time to sort it all out. Have a great time shopping and hope you find the rig that suits you best. Good Luck!

Oh be sure to keep us informed on what you finally choose and be sure to include those most important pics.
Steve & Sally / HiTee & Hudson Our Little Poms / Heidi & Houston Forever in our Hearts
04 NEWMAR MACA 3778 W22 / 05 PT Vert
Michigan (Summer) Florida (Winter)
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:32 AM   #10
Quick silly question from a beginner....what is the best way to send a personal response to all of the great folks who take the time to give their advise...
Old 04-05-2013, 10:51 AM   #11
Country Coach Owners Club
Use the Thanks button
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:09 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
There are soooo many factors in making that choice. Many of them will revolve around your personal life style and expectations. We upgraded quickly from a gas to DP after one summer because we quickly learned that with our life style, cargo carrying capacity was going to be important. We also learned that we really wanted a king bed and didn't want a generator under our bed. LOL

All that being said I think there are some very capable gassers but keep an eye on CCC. Also understand that they will not drive as solid as a DP. The handling and noise factors that separate gas from DP are less important if you plan a few drives with long stays at your various destinations. The gassers are lighter and get pushed around more easily by passing trucks and cross winds. The shorter wheel base generally requires more driver attention and steering inputs. The longer overhang also requires a bit more attention when maneuvering in tight spaces when compared to a DP of similar length.

What do you plan to pull for a toad? That could be a factor.

How much storage will you need? That is a life style factor that will come in to play.

DPs will tend to have higher end features. Aqua Hot is one example.

In the beginning when we bought our 2006 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, we didn't know what we didn't know. While the nearly 1600# CCC seemed a lot, because of the higher rear end loading of the weight, you really can't use all of it without overloading the rear axle unless you opted to not carry full water. Besides that, we didn't realize the problems of the short queen bed that was common in many Winnebago models. While there are a lot of GREAT things about that MH, in the end and after we got better educated, we realized it wasn't for us in how we envisioned our future. Could someone make it work for them? Absolutely!

Don, Sandee & GSD Zeus. Gardian Wings earned are GSDs Gunny (7/11/15) & Thor (5/5/15)
2006 DSDP 4320, Spartan MM IFS, 2013 CR-V, Blue Ox Avail, SMI AF1, Samsung 197R Refer.
Sky_Boss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:40 AM   #13
Thanks so much for the information. This will be a good one to pass along to my husband!!! Lol
Old 04-05-2013, 12:57 PM   #14
Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Shopping for that special rig can be an adventure or a nightmare. It's like building that dream cabin in the woods, by the time you finish you hate it so much it gets sold. Bottom line is don't get impatient your dream is out there so don't compromise, get what you want. I have had both gas and diesel and each have there strong and weak points.

My last caveat, most RV sales people are just that, sales people, with little if any RV experience.

Don G.

Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote