Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2014, 01:13 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Getting ready to park our new RV at a Storage Facility

So we have our new coach, 2014 Winnebago Journey 36M, and we will post some photos soon, but now I need to know what I should do to get the coach ready to go to the RV storage lot which is a covered lot in North Florida. I have removed all the food (except the cans) and the fridge is empty with the doors being held open. We have the option of 15 amp power, but not sure if we need or want it. Jacks up or down? Some windows cracked open? Vent open? And anything else you think it is important to do or know....

Thanks for helping me figure this out!
donnariley53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2014, 01:33 PM   #2

I have a 15amp connection and I keep mine plugged in and the fridge cold. I don't open any vents as I can be dusty at times. I dump my air bags and make sure my step is retracted and walk away. If I'm storing for a long period of time, I will deploy my jacks to take pressure off the tires.
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 02:39 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
When mine is in storage, I make sure all food is out so not to attract pests. Roof vent (under vent cover) open a little bit and a louvered window open a bit to allow cross ventilation. Since I don't have power available, I disconnect both sets of batteries. I've discovered the chassis batteries don't loose any charge with the disconnect switch, but the house batteries will discharge with the disconnect off, so I installed a knife switch to ensure they are disconnected. Curtains and blinds all drawn, things stay pretty much as I leave it for long periods of time with monthly visits to check and exercise the generator.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 03:08 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

We store our moho with the main and aux batteries disconnected, steps retracted, jacks up, all windows and vents closed. All food is removed; fridge is defrosted and fridge doors left with the little brace thing to hold them open. Make sure there is some water in the p-traps (sinks and shower) to keep sewer gases out of the coach in hot weather. Propane is shut off.
Old 03-31-2014, 03:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnariley53 View Post
So we have our new coach, 2014 Winnebago Journey 36M, and we will post some photos soon, but now I need to know what I should do to get the coach ready to go to the RV storage lot which is a covered lot in North Florida. I have removed all the food (except the cans) and the fridge is empty with the doors being held open. We have the option of 15 amp power, but not sure if we need or want it. Jacks up or down? Some windows cracked open? Vent open? And anything else you think it is important to do or know....

Thanks for helping me figure this out!

Congrats on the new coach!!
To keep squirrels, mice, rats etc from taking up residence in your coach:
You may want to get some Peppermint Oil (available at grocery or health food stores). Soak some cotten balls in peppermint oil and leave them under the coach. You can also mix the peppermint oil in a spay bottle with water and spray the mixture in the wheel wells and the underside of the coach.
Rodents love to chew the covering of wires and make nests throughout the underside of your coach!!
Ants: Keep ants from getting inside your coach! Ants are put off by strong scents of cinnamon and cayenne pepper, so sprinkle those spices on thresholds, doorways, windows etc. Especially around the ground where your tires and jackstands sit!!
When you do go camping: Flies don't like the smell of basil, so bring a potted basil plant with you and place it on your picnic table. It looks nice, and you can use the basil in recipes!!
RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 05:50 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by topdownman View Post
I have a 15amp connection and I keep mine plugged in and the fridge cold. I don't open any vents as I can be dusty at times. I dump my air bags and make sure my step is retracted and walk away. If I'm storing for a long period of time, I will deploy my jacks to take pressure off the tires.
Same here, plugged in will keep the batteries charged, dump the air, and put down the jacks.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:21 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Hope it is not in this facility in Tampa! Bad fire last week. I pity those who lost their units.
Dreams go up in smoke at Palm Harbor storage facility | Tampa Bay Times
bertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 05:53 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
I store my 44ft Entegra at a storage facility in Central Florida along with about 100 other RVs and I know of none of those RVs with jacks down. I remove all food items and anything a critter would desire. I prop the fridge doors open and kill the battery disconnects on the house batteries and chassis batteries. I always dump the holding tanks prior. I've stored this new RV and two previous RVs this way for over a dozen years without a problem. Always keep the fuel tank topped to prevent condensation which is a problem in Florida. If I am storing for more than a month I add a fuel treatment to prevent algae growth in the moist Florida climate. I keep the windows and vents closed.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 06:06 AM   #9

This is my biggest fear in a storage facility. About 3 years ago there used to be a Silver Eagle bus that parked next to my Class A. One day I arrived and the bus was gone. Underneath where it used to sit, was a pile of burnt up wiring and ashes. No damage to my coach. Also, there was evidence that the bus had been dragged from the storage unit into the parking lot.

I spoke to the owner and he told me he just happened to be onsite when he noticed smoke coming out of my building. He called the fire department and luckily they got there quickly. The battery compartment on the Silver Eagle was on fire and it spread to the interior. They got it all out before it was completely out of hand and there was no damage to my coach nor the boat parked on the other side. The drag marks where from a large tow truck they brought in to drag it out. They couldn't get under it to release the brakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertman View Post
Hope it is not in this facility in Tampa! Bad fire last week. I pity those who lost their units.
Dreams go up in smoke at Palm Harbor storage facility | Tampa Bay Times
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 08:11 AM   #10

The covered storage is a wise decision in those temps. Not sure about storage periods, but if longer than a few months, then the 15 amp option may be worth the cost. If not the above posts on battery disconnect are right on track. Also as the unit ages, I recommend cleaning the battery terminals before storage.
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 08:41 AM   #11

Be sure to read your MH owners manual as well as any manuals for the components (levelers, toilets, generator etc). Many manufacturers have specific recommendations for long term storage, like do not leave the level jacks down.
AKJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 12:18 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
My chassis manual says, when storing for over 30 days, "the motorhome should be safely secured on the leveling jacks."
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 06:58 PM   #13

Curious why some feel its important to pull in door step when placing in storage. I disconnect negatives and therefore power drain shouldn't be an issue. Any other reason for pulling in door step? Thanks!
glemo81540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 07:09 PM   #14

Gulf Streamers Club
I make sure mine are in so someone parking next to me doesn't clip them, and also to tuck the mechanism under the coach to give some protection from the weather.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage