Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2015, 07:45 PM   #15
doc

Appalachian Campers
We are on our third MH. Kitchen, bath and bed have been available on all three. Looked at one at Lazy Days a few years back we were shown twice with slides out. We walked back before we got any deeper and discovered you could not get into the back room with slides in. Was not a deal breaker, but we found something we liked better and full access all the way through the coach
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2015, 08:15 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
When our slides are all in - moving around the salon and kitchen is pretty easy. The aisleway between the midship half bath and the refrigerator is tight - but passable. (I think it's more an issue with my width than that of the aisleway!) We can get to the bed ... but must crawl across the bed to get to the bathroom in the rear of the coach. The only thing that is truly inaccessible are chest of drawers cabinetry in the bedroom.

All in all - our floorplan seems pretty well thought out in terms of being usable when the slides are all in.
Old 06-02-2015, 06:04 AM   #17

Our first MH is a 2015 Thor ACE and this is one of the things I checked for. Access is fine except the drawers in bed room. It would have been a deal breaker for us. Jim.
04fxsts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 09:27 AM   #18

In our Allegro Breeze, everything is totally accessible with the slides in, except two small cabinets, one above and one below the TV.
Chetekie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 10:01 AM   #19

Country Coach Owners Club
Access is never a problem with zero slides. But, there is a bit less of center aisle space.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 10:04 AM   #20

Freightliner Owners Club
In our 2014 Thor Tuscany 40EX XTE everything is accessible with slides in. Half bath and Kitchen. You can get to the rear bath if needed but must climb over the bed ha. Only difference is full bath has a shower and a closet. When you test drive your coach, make sure you can do what you want while driving down the road.. Good luck
camato5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 10:07 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
We had a Thor ACE 29.2 and have just purchased the Meridian 36M. That is definitely one of the things we check fairly early on. Both have some things you could not get to (or easily get to) with the slides in, but kitchen including fridge and restroom were reasonably easily accessible. As someone said earlier, the biggest issue is my size vs. the space available. But, in the Meridian this weekend we had a full house of adults including both my 6'2" boys sitting across from each other and I could still walk to the back room between the sofas.

2016 Itasca Meridian 36M, 2009 Jeep Wrangler tow...
TurnTwoNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 10:17 AM   #22

We have full access to everything but the chest of drawers in the bedroom.
Old 06-02-2015, 10:19 AM   #23

or just replace the bathroom swing door with sliding door.

Our floorplan doesn't allow much access either, but both the DW and I are fairly slim so we can 'make do'. Once the years add inches, I'll be replacing the swing door with slider or folding door.
Todd157k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 11:03 AM   #24

Thanks so much to everyone. I will ask the seller of the DP I am looking at (long distance) to take a picture with slides in. I'm not an engineer or mathematician so my crude measurements on the floorplan of the coach may be off just enough to allow us to get through. This coach does have an island mid kitchen and I love it because there is so much more kitchen space and I love to cook. But if it doesn't work we will have to walk away and look for another with good kitchen space.
The Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 11:55 AM   #25

Mea Culpa

I didn't mean to post the last post Thank you all so much! You were all so kind in that no one pointed out the obvious. The owner/seller has seemed irritated by my many newbie questions and yes I know that is no excuse for not asking, I'm the one with the money and yes I now see that most plans do allow access. Mea culpa. I just needed to do more homework. I think this may be a situation where the table might have to be repositioned (as Joel mentioned) in order to allow access. Again, Thanks All! I think it is time for me to study how to post before I have to say again

Rosie
The Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 12:09 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
When we were shopping, the first thing I did was head to the bathroom: stand in the shower and go through the motions (including pretending to pick up dropped soap) and make sure there is room. Then sit on the pot and pretend to go through the motions there. I'm a big guy, and those two tests immediately eliminated many coaches.

If a coach passed that test, the next was to pull in the slides and make sure the critical places (bathroom, refrigerator, kitchen sink, etc) are all reachable. That eliminated several more coaches.

After passing all of those tests, I would finally open the slides and start looking at the rest of the floorplan. There was no point in looking at the overall layout before those critical features were considered.

As it turns out, there is one set of kitchen pantry cabinets that cannot be opened with the slides in, as well as the bedroom dresser drawers and the small shirt closet. The main closet across the back can be accessed, but you have to crawl over the bed to get to it. For us, the coach is quite functional enough for use on the road while the slides are in, but we need to extend the slides on at least one side if we're going to spend the night somewhere.

Keep looking, there are coaches out there that are (mostly) usable with the slides in! And if the seller is annoyed at all of your questions, they obviously aren't that interested in selling their coach, so perhaps that's a sign that it's time to move on and keep looking. Whatever you do, don't stop asking questions.

Good luck!
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 03:44 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rose View Post
I didn't mean to post the last post Thank you all so much! You were all so kind in that no one pointed out the obvious. The owner/seller has seemed irritated by my many newbie questions and yes I know that is no excuse for not asking, I'm the one with the money and yes I now see that most plans do allow access. Mea culpa. I just needed to do more homework. I think this may be a situation where the table might have to be repositioned (as Joel mentioned) in order to allow access. Again, Thanks All! I think it is time for me to study how to post before I have to say again

Rosie
No apology needed Rosie. We all learn by doing and we were all a newbie at one time. Never quit asking questions. You are going to love this FUN lifestyle once you wisely choose and purchase your MH. Good luck and keep us posted.
-- Kay
austx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 03:51 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShapeShifter View Post
When we were shopping, the first thing I did was head to the bathroom: stand in the shower and go through the motions (including pretending to pick up dropped soap) and make sure there is room. Then sit on the pot and pretend to go through the motions there. I'm a big guy, and those two tests immediately eliminated many coaches.

If a coach passed that test, the next was to pull in the slides and make sure the critical places (bathroom, refrigerator, kitchen sink, etc) are all reachable. That eliminated several more coaches.

After passing all of those tests, I would finally open the slides and start looking at the rest of the floorplan. There was no point in looking at the overall layout before those critical features were considered.

As it turns out, there is one set of kitchen pantry cabinets that cannot be opened with the slides in, as well as the bedroom dresser drawers and the small shirt closet. The main closet across the back can be accessed, but you have to crawl over the bed to get to it. For us, the coach is quite functional enough for use on the road while the slides are in, but we need to extend the slides on at least one side if we're going to spend the night somewhere.

Keep looking, there are coaches out there that are (mostly) usable with the slides in! And if the seller is annoyed at all of your questions, they obviously aren't that interested in selling their coach, so perhaps that's a sign that it's time to move on and keep looking. Whatever you do, don't stop asking questions.

Good luck!
PERFECTLY STATED! Sometimes buyers don't think they should test the bathroom and shower but you have to. My brother is 6'7" and his first and only criteria was "is there head room where I can stand up straight". If not, NEXT! -- Kay
austx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge, slide