Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2014, 07:43 PM   #29

Fleetwood Owners Club
A current of 100 ma(0.1 amp) will kill you. For a child it is probably less. If you are plugged into a pedestal, all of the frame and most metal in the coach is grounded. Most of the previous discussions on GFCI merits is just senseless, inaccurate, and completely irrelevant to the thread. All you experts should start your own threads.
targaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2014, 08:22 PM   #30

Currents as low as the "let go threshold" can potentially be lethal. 10 ma is a commonly used figure for the threshold level. Some studies suggest the it can be as low as 5-7 for females and 7-9 for males. Apparently the harder you grip due to the muscle contraction, the lower the resistance becomes and the current goes up.

Excerpted from the following paper:

Being unable to let go results in more current for a longer period of time. This will increase damage due to heating of muscle and nerves. There will also be an increase in pain and the incidence of respiratory and cardiac arrest.

Conduction of Electrical Current to and Through the Human Body: A Review
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:30 PM   #31

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by targaboat
A current of 100 ma(0.1 amp) will kill you. For a child it is probably less. If you are plugged into a pedestal, all of the frame and most metal in the coach is grounded. Most of the previous discussions on GFCI merits is just senseless, inaccurate, and completely irrelevant to the thread. All you experts should start your own threads.
Perhaps one should take their own advice.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:14 AM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Don't expect to find TRUE experts on iRV2.com.

BUT you will find lots of ordinary people with their personal opinions.

My advice when it comes to electricity and LPG/Gas, if people are not comfortable with working on either of those systems, then hire a licensed professional to do the job. Then followup with an inspection to make sure that THEY knew what they doing because sometimes so-called experts on "paper" have no clue either.

JMHO

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:36 AM   #33

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by milasman View Post

No, the breakers ARE NOT in lieu of a GFCI unless the breakers themselves are GFCI breakers.
Original question was answered.
milasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:39 AM   #34

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
Just to make absolutely clear. DO NOT STICK YOUR HAND IN A SIND AND PLUG A BUTTERKNIFE INTO AN ELECTRICAL OUTLET IN YOU RV, SHOP, STICK HOUSE OR ANY WHERE ELSE.

DO NOT STRIP THE INSULATION OFF OF THE BLACK WIRE AND THE WHITE WIRE OF A CABLE, PLUG THE CABLE IN AND GRAB A WIRE IN EACH HAND.

I realize that does not really need to be said but,

Never assume your coach has all hoses going to faucets as pex. Someone might have had to replace one and decided to use stainless steel lines, Someone might have decided toreplace drain lines with actual pipe.

and for your own and your loved ones sake. If you do not know anything about electricity leave it alone. Take courses, have a friend teach you whatever but until you have some basic knowledge do not mess with it.

I have seen some very experienced people with a lot of knowledge make stupid mistakes and get lucky enough to live through them. ( That would include me)

In the steel mill where I worked our cranes worked off of a +125volt and -125 volt DC supply ( 250 volt potential) Someone bought a radio that ran off of 12 volts for the crane. The electrician that installed it got the bright idea to just make a voltage divider resistor circuit and pick 12 volt off that way. What they did not think about was the case of the radio was attached to one end of the resistor network and the end was at -125vdc so the case had a 125v dc potential to ground. Moral of this story. You never know what kind of brilliant idea someone might have come up with to make something work.
No kidding, thanks, was confused.
Old 01-21-2014, 04:20 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by milasman View Post
Ok, then fill your sink with water and put one hand in, then hold a butter knife in the other and stick it in a non GFCI outlet, let me know if you get shocked or not.
Without metal piping or drains you wont get zapped...... just sayin' - There has to be a path to ground.

And no I wouldn't try it to prove my point.
Fl_Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 04:51 PM   #36

Fleetwood Owners Club
Test it out then.
Old 01-21-2014, 04:52 PM   #37

Fleetwood Owners Club
Exactly.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:06 PM   #38

So, why does the NEC and CEC require GFI receptacles near kitchen sinks in houses now if water piping is PEX and waste pipe is ABS? They must have a reason if there's no metallic path to ground. Not different than what you find in an RV.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:32 PM   #39

OP have you checked the outdoor receptacles to
Myssdragn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:49 PM   #40

Fleetwood Owners Club
Government regulation, need I say more.
targaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:08 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssdragn View Post
OP have you checked the outdoor receptacles to

Sorry I fat fingered the send button before finishing. OP have you checked the outdoor recepticles to see if they are the GFCI. Also as suggested above, look at the breaker panel to see if there are GFCI breakers there(unusual). I will weigh in as a Master Electrician, I can assure you the frame of your motorhome and everything attached to it is grounded by the ground conductor coming from the campground power pedestal and there are MANY paths to ground inside your rig. I would not recommend any of the experiments suggested above
Myssdragn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:42 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by targaboat View Post
Government regulation, need I say more.
Not good enough, sorry. Looking for a correct technical answer...