Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2015, 07:58 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
GFCI issue - Help!

So, we are in Tucson on our first major trip. Came here for Escapees Boot Camp (which we desperately need).
Issue: was using too many appliances in the coach this morning & tripped a breaker or something? All electrical outlets in the coach are out, but everything else is working. Checked the breaker box beneath the refrigerator, all ok. Only GFCI with a reset appears to be in the bathroom, but it doesn't reset. Checked breakers at RV Park power and ok.

Not sure where else to look? Possible bad GFCI??

TXwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2015, 08:11 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had something similar happen to me. You can test it by removing it and checking for power input with a meter or test light. I replaced mine and all was OK again.

Don

Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 08:11 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
No GFCI in the kitchen? Probably another breaker box outside in a compartment. And yes, GFCI will wear out or get weak as Petro said.
Old 03-05-2015, 08:12 AM   #4

Sometime a circuit breaker may look like it is on even when it is tripped. Turn the main (50a or 30a) circuit breaker completely OFF then ON. Do this for both your RV circuit breaker panel as well as the outsede pedestal. Good luck!
Old 03-05-2015, 08:18 AM   #5

Do you have an inverter? The outlets run by an inverter are often protected by a breaker on the inverter.

1997 Tiffen Allegro Bus 37', Cat 3126
Old 03-05-2015, 08:20 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
GFCI issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
No GFCI in the kitchen? Probably another breaker box outside in a compartment. And yes, GFCI will wear out or get weak as Petro said.
All outlets in the coach are labeled GFCI protected, but the only one I can find with a test button & reset button is in the bathroom.
Old 03-05-2015, 08:28 AM   #7

Rexhall Owners Group
You mentioned that the GFCI doesn't reset. With the power off to the coach, including the inverter off, try to reset the GFCI. If the reset button stays soft ( won't reset ) you probably have a bad GFCI. If it does reset, then pops when you restore , you may have a downstream wiring problem ( legitimate ground fault ). Unplug everything that will unplug, and try again. I have a receptacle in the outdoor compartment for the fridge/icemaker, and when I wash the RV if I'm not careful with the water, it will trip the GFCI.
Bob
Bobb.25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 08:33 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Hi TXwannabe,
Post #5 may have the answer. Find the inverter. Check and reset the breaker on the inverter. If this is the fix, you have more work to do.
1. Determine the size of the breaker on the inverter.
2. Label all coach outlets powered by the inverter (I put a small "I" over the outlet).
3. When connecting to these outlets be aware of the capacity that the inverter can supply.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 08:35 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Winner! winner!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rssnape View Post
Do you have an inverter? The outlets run by an inverter are often protected by a breaker on the inverter.

1997 Tiffen Allegro Bus 37', Cat 3126
And the correct answer is: breaker on the inverter tripped! (Which is just another reason I am glad Boot Camp starts today at noon!)
Old 03-05-2015, 08:38 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXwannabe View Post

All outlets in the coach are labeled GFCI protected, but the only one I can find with a test button & reset button is in the bathroom.
GFCI's are used in the kitchen, bathroom and any outlets mounted in your storage bays.

I can guarantee you that you have more than one.

Tiffin would NOT have all of those areas protected with only ONE GFCI.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 03-05-2015, 08:50 AM   #11
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXwannabe View Post
And the correct answer is: breaker on the inverter tripped! (Which is just another reason I am glad Boot Camp starts today at noon!)
Glad you got it resolved!

Lesson 345-12A learned. LOL
Old 03-05-2015, 10:24 AM   #12

That happened to me once. Looked all over for GFCI, found only 1 in the bath area. The better half was cleaning & opened a fold up counter extension in the kitchen & found a second GFCI that we had never seen before. It was the one that had tripped. Reset it & all has been good since then.
Old 03-05-2015, 04:20 PM   #13

call colin at( A MOBILE RV REPAIR )
he fixed our electrical problems - we were happy with the work and pricing
520 235-2220
Old 03-06-2015, 08:11 AM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Three possible issues:
First: Nobody has asked about inverter use.. DO YOU HAVE an inverter?

Reasons

Main breaker box--Breaker---inverter--Breaker(s)---Inverter powered loads

Note the second breaker in that line? It may be part of the inverter, often located around the back where it is hard to see, usually a post type (PUSH IN TO RESET) or it may be in a 2nd breaker box hidden somewhere (mine is in a cabinet)

The second possible issue is the patio outlet (normally) but any appliance can do it too, OFten the seals break down on the patio outlet, it rains, outlet box fills with contaminated water (Rain water is far from pure) and creates a ground fault.. Dry out the box.. also unplug every thing that is plugged in since you may have a faulted appliance.

Finally the tough one... RV outlets are NOT up to my speciication, oh they may meet code ok, but I am a bit more.... something... When I spec stuff out.. I have read several stories (my own included) of space heaters causeing issues with RV outlets,, Everything from "Hot wire smell" (1 of mine) to failed connections, (Another of mine and several others) to FIRE!!!! And it is not always the outlet you plug into (one of mine was, the other was not) sometimes it is an up-line outlet (They are wired like this.

Breaker box===Outlet 1==Outlet 2===Outlet 3 and so on

If you plug into outlet 3, then 1 or 2 can fail.. The standard outlet used in an RV is a "Quick Box" that uses punch down connectors, These are great for telephone and other low current stuff but are really not up to 12 amps of a space heater.

Oh my connection fail was the inverter connection.

Some have had connections fail on the back of the GFCI as well,

That is another type of connection (Stranded to hard copper using a wire nut) that is not always that great.