Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2016, 06:41 PM   #1

giant windshield...

... how much can I cover?

We recently had our windshields replaced, and lost the dark band at the top. Made bad into worse as far as the sun.

I never look out the top couple of feet anyway, and it just lets sun glare in.

My question... can I legally opaque the top of the windshield? How much of it? Would law be different if I used a very dark tint?

Matt B

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2016, 06:46 PM   #2

The top 6 inches has a mild tint. The top 14 inches is blocked by the TV. I could cover 20 inches or moreand never miss it.

Old 07-30-2016, 07:11 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Many people, including me, use a black window screen like material on the top 12 to 16 inches of windshield to block the sun. You could cover as much as you feel comfortable with.
US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 07:24 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmattb View Post
... how much can I cover?

We recently had our windshields replaced, and lost the dark band at the top. Made bad into worse as far as the sun.

I never look out the top couple of feet anyway, and it just lets sun glare in.

My question... can I legally opaque the top of the windshield? How much of it? Would law be different if I used a very dark tint?

Matt B
There are definitely laws for that (at least here in Florida). I just had my toad done and the shop had a brochure about all the laws including the front windshield.
Check the state your vehicle is registered in for the details.
Let us know what you find out.
Old 07-30-2016, 07:36 PM   #5

I'd check at a local tinting shop or two. They should know the laws although can do whatever you want. You also might check with the DMV to find out how much actual window is required. And perhaps check with a motorhome dealership or 2.
Old 07-30-2016, 09:38 PM   #6

for small cars, no question about the illegality of windshield tinting in any part of. but for an rv? i doubt it. tbh, i tinted the top portion of it about 20 inches wide cross the entire windshield myself. i don't think it'll be an issue. maybe it's just me...
Old 08-01-2016, 01:39 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
I had mine done on a Dutch Star. I did 18 inches. Wsh I had done 24. However, I made a huge difference
Old 08-01-2016, 03:31 PM   #8

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
There should be an ASI line marking on the glass, usually on one side in very small print. You can't put anything below that line legally.

Doesn't your rig have retractable visors? They help. If sun is an issue when parked, you're going to have to cover the windshield with an exterior shade or something reflective on the inside.

I've thought about having one of those windshield visors you see on semi's made and installed on our coach. Plenty of big rig chrome shops that can do it....for a fee.
Old 08-01-2016, 08:27 PM   #9

Glass and window tinting laws by state or province
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 12:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisBaker View Post
I had mine done on a Dutch Star. I did 18 inches. Wsh I had done 24. However, I made a huge difference
Was this a tint film or an opaquer coating or covering?

Matt B
Old 08-02-2016, 12:46 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImagesByHawk View Post
There should be an ASI line marking on the glass, usually on one side in very small print. You can't put anything below that line legally.

Doesn't your rig have retractable visors? They help. If sun is an issue when parked, you're going to have to cover the windshield with an exterior shade or something reflective on the inside.

I've thought about having one of those windshield visors you see on semi's made and installed on our coach. Plenty of big rig chrome shops that can do it....for a fee.
There is a line, and a tint to the top. It ends about 10 inches the highest point of the windshield I can see when seated.

I don't have retractable visors. That is something I am considering, but I would be as happy with an opaque or heavily-tinted coating.

It seems like tint is regulated, outside obstruction, like a fixed visor maybe not, and modifying the windshield, probably not. I have seen street-legal rods and customs with the windshield reduced to less than 12 inches.

Matt B
Old 08-02-2016, 12:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post

Very interesting, and a mixed bag. I noticed some states ban the operation of vehicles with tint - apparently no exemption for being from another state.

Here in Arizona:

"Application or installation of a substance or material that alters the color or reduces the light transmittance is permissible for a luminous reflection of 35% or less."

That SUGGESTS that the tint can be dark and fully-covering. The limit would be how much it reflects outward to other vehicles.

Matt B
Old 08-05-2016, 08:25 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
The film I used on may 2004 Dutch Star was the darkest shade that the dealer sold. I think it was a level 3 tint. You could still see the clouds and trees through it so it was not a total blackout. I think I paid about $110 to have it installed.
Also, I wished later that I had had the dealer install not only the windshield but the top portion of the drivers side window at the same time. I would have reduced the glare when the sun was at an angle to shine through the side window.