Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2016, 10:15 AM   #1

Girard G-2000 Awing - Manual Override - Help!

New to the iRV2 forums and really need the brilliance of this great group for some help.

I have 2 Girard G-2000 awings on my 2004 Country Coach. See link
https://comnet2.newmarcorp.com/insta...ages/G2000.pdf

This thing is making me crazy. Started by correctly fully extending with remote control or manual switch. Then would only retract 20%. Both awings acted about the same. Different % of retraction but wouldn't retract. Had to retract with a power drill.

Doesn't matter if it's on the inverters or shore power.

Local RV Techs don't seem to know the systems so I don't want to pay $100 per hour for them to learn. Seems like Girard wants to abandon systems after 10 years so they haven't been much help.

The big question is has anyone wired a completely manual switch to bypass everything? I don't use them that much so I want to simplify the whole thing.

Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2016, 10:31 AM   #2

you can pull up a service manual on the girard website and it shows how to adjust the in/out limiter switches on the motor. i just put in a new motor on mine and it did the same thing yours is doing. i also put a switch in line to kill all power to the control box to make me feel better when driving.

Old 05-31-2016, 11:29 AM   #3

Hi Sharpspurs
Welcome.
Your awnings more than likely operate from your 12 volt batteries and not 120 volt AC as you seem to think.
With that said, the symptoms with both awnings exhibiting similar behavior lead me to think there is a common cause.
I would first remove and clean all battery connections and put them back on. After that, start the engine and run it at high idle (~1000 rpm). Then with the engine at high idle, try and see if they work better. If the problem persists, then there is probably a poor connection somewhere in the wiring between the batteries and the controller for your awnings.
Good luck and keep us updated on what happens.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 03:39 PM   #4

ChasA,
Thanks for the response. I agree that a common cause is likely. Leads me to believe it's not circuit boards because they have separate control boxes. Must be power somewhere. I was hoping someone had bypassed the control circuits with a plain old temporary on switch. I think they just reverse polarity on the motor to deploy/retract. Motors are 120 volt AC. I'll keep at it.
Old 05-31-2016, 08:53 PM   #5

Well, I haven't studied AC motor control for 50 years. So needless to say, I am out of my element. I don't think it's going to be as simple as reversing the leads on the motor. Good luck to you. Sorry I couldn't help.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 10:52 PM   #6

Girard G-2000 Awing - Manual Override - Help!

I've read that there have been problems such as yours and usually it's the limiting switch. Most do a by pass of the switch. Gerard awnings were placed on a lot of Foretravels and I've seen it discussed there on their forum. I have Girard also but so far I've lucked out. The only time I had trouble with retraction was after a wind event and the awning kept rolling up unevenly. After trying a few times it finally rolled up and hasn't given me trouble since. Trying to do a search for "Girard limiting switch bypass" and maybe you'll get lucky.....Good luck.

Bruce & Teresa
2000 Foretravel U320 4010
Cummins ISM 450hp
Allison HD4060R 6 Spd W/Retarder
ecurb74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 06:54 AM   #7

Update to my trials and tribulations with Girard. After several attempts I got a return call from a very sharp technician at the home office.

Conversation started with "What is the year and manufacture of your coach". I told him, to which he replied, "Sure I know exactly what the problem is."

There are two boxes controlling each awing. 1-controller, 1-current limiter. He went on to explain the current limiter for that year was a problem and they are not advising to replace them.

His instructions were to completely bypass the current limiter box and test. He was very confident it was the answer.

I'll test his recommendation this weekend and post the results.

Thanks everyone for suggestions.

Tags
manual