Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-10-2015, 11:38 AM   #1
Freightliner Owners Club
Give me your thoughts, please.

We've been travel trailer RVing since the 70's, with a couple of pickup campers thrown in, but never a motorhome.

I would like to hear from those of you who converted from a travel trailer to a motorhome, your feelings of how you like it compared to the TT. How does it compare generally traveling? Easier to set up? Easier to get going in the morning? More or less convenient?

I generally know the plus and minuses lf each, so wondering just if you are as happy, not as happy, or happier with the MH.

Thanks for you input in advance.

Texas SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2015, 12:14 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
we just did the 5er to MH swap and even WITH a toad to hook up and unhook, we've found it easier.

While the utility hookups are basically the same (well the new monaco has sani-con and water hose reel - so REALLY easy)

but not having to 'disconnect' truck to level, etc... is sweet

so on a scale of 1 to 10 with 1 unhappy, we are at 15 !

If you really are sad and think nobody cares, just try missing a few payments ! '11 Monaco Diplomat 43DFT RR10R pushed by a Demco Excali-Bar II hitch which is pushed by a '14 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport.
JohnBoyToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 01:21 PM   #3
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Class A Motor Home

In almost 50 years of RVing I have pretty much had them all. Tent trailers, Tear Drop, Travel Trailers, 5th Wheels, Motor Homes Class A, B, C, DP's and Gassers. For me a class A motor home is the way to go. In the last 5 years I have had 4 rigs.They were with the oldest first, a 2007 Jayco Designer 37 ft 5th wheel and diesel Pickup, a 2012 Duchmen Denali 34 ft, a 1997 Georgie Boy Pursuit 32 ft class A Motor Home and Now a 2006 Four Winds Hurricane 31D Class A Motor Home which I just purchased a few weeks ago. I have always gone back to a class A Motor Home. I am Happier with a Motor Home. Less problems to hook or unhook Much easier at my age, and driving one for me is a pleasure. I won't go into all of the details as to why, as that is not what you wanted..
Different Strokes for Different Folks.
2006 Four Winds Hurricane 31D, Steer Safe, CHF, 50 Amp Conversion, 3000 Watt Inverter, Toad is a 2007 Jeep Liberty Sport. Blue Ox Aladdin Tow Bar, Apollo Braking System
mhbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 01:32 PM   #4
Love my Truck Conversion Motorhome, 45' toy hauler, had TT before, even had a 1971 VW camper back in the day, Block of ice in the Fridge and I was food for 30 hrs....LOL...Love the Motorhome, wife gets to watch TV, Shower, Cook, etc..all while we are on the move...pull over anytime, and all the luxuries of being home are there at your fingertips....did I mention that I LOVE IT...
GENECOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 01:39 PM   #5
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
we went from a 30 foot fiver, to a towable, back to a 40 foot fiver. then the bus

driving is nice, packup takes longer as we treat it more like a home than a moveable sleeping place,
we are never overweight, can bring all the food and toys.
hooking up the hauler trailer and truck is timewise about the same as a toad and tow bar, plus no road rash for the toad.

setting up is easier..but now most big fivers have hydraulic levelers so its a wash.
we enjoy it, although upkeep and price of maintenance is slightly higher than a fiver, and strong tow vehicle
i say do what fits your lifestyle and physical abilities. i am crippled up from lots of navy stuff, so a bus is a better fit for my worn out body
USN Retired, Life time member of the DAV.
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, no your eyes are fine, there are 6 slides
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 01:41 PM   #6
I had a trailer before the motorhome. Traveling into he motorhome is a LOT more comfortable. The co-pilot can get up and grab something to eat or use the restroom while you are traveling. I have a diesel so the air suspension makes traveling less tiring. It is great going down the road looking through the large windshield and sitting up higher. I like being self contained with the built in generator. I like stopping for lunch and just going to the kitchen behind us.

As far a set up, it is a little faster but not a great difference if you are hooking everything up. However, with the biggest fresh tank and grey/black tanks, I do not need to hook up each night. If we are traveling, we will just hook up power if we have it.

The negative - cost. Maintaining a diesel pusher costs more than a truck and trailer.
Ludmilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 01:42 PM   #7
We also just moved to a motorhome. Love it!

Much less work, and although I have driven trailers for years, this is much easier. Especially in the tight stuff.

I really enjoy having all in one, stop in a rest stop and don't even have to exit the vehicle. I do miss the fuel mileage, but I am going to live with that. We are close to retiring, and we hope to have longer trips in our future, the ease of travel and convience will be really great to have.

We carry a motorcycle with us presently, but some day we will probably go to a tow dolly. I like the flexiblity of taking either of our vehicles in contrast to preping a vehicle to be our toad.

2008 Thor Mandalay Presidio, 400 ISL
RVing since 1974!
Lots of Motorcycles
Lloyd in S.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 01:44 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We've been campers since we were kids with experience starting with the Ted Williams (like Eddie Bauer of his time) tent from Sears. Over the years we have used ever type of RV there is from pop-tops, to every size TT there is (tiny Scamp to big 4 season with large slide)...and used, but never owned a 5er.

We finally made the move to a Class A and have never been happier. It is probably more money to buy and register than a Truck-Trailer, and the big Diesels can have higher maint costs than gas or Diesel pick-ups but those are the only down sides we have found.

Everything in day-to-day use is easier. From hook-up (we use a dolly for the toad) to roadside breaks, to arrival at a campground. Though campground hook-ups are exactly the same as a highend TT.

We believe there is one type of owner exception...that favors towables...the long term fixed full-timers. Having a RV that just sits for months to years without moving is probably not the best use for a Class A.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), '07 Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 03:05 PM   #9
Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Had them all, We made the switch to a 26 foot class A and both love it. I have the auto levelers, a snap to level without ever leaving the driver seat. It is small enough I drive it just about anyplace with out a toad. Would I go back to a TT? Nope! Our entertainment at the camp ground is watching them trying to maneuver the TTs and 5vers in SP camp sites.

The MH is much quicker to setup, pack and get going in the morning. Very convenient when traveling.
1996 Damon DayBreak 2500 454 P37 Chassis
NRA Benefactor, NRA & OSBI Certified firearms instructor, Retired Electrical Engineering Tech
Lifemember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 06:56 PM   #10
I'll make it unanimous. After our trip to Alaska with our beautiful Grand Junction 40' 5er, we were both worn out. We traded for our MH(see sig) and it is so much easier for traveling we were happy happy-guess our age is showing. Anyway, the only downside is, our 5er had more storage room than our MH, but it was 3 slides and the MH has one. Our MH is more expensive to maintain and use, but we knew that already.
Years ago, when we were both healthy and younger, the manual setting up and leveling, and tearing down and packing for travel, was not a concern.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 07:50 PM   #11
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
like other stated, I started with 3 pop-ups, 24' then 30' TT, next a 40' 5'er. Now MH, and This is the way to travel. No more stopping to use the rest room, eat or get something to drink. IMHO it's the best way. Beside that huge front windshield makes for fantastic viewing.
Ford RV V10 5 star Tow tune
Front/Read Roadmaster 1 3/4" anti-sway bars. Roadmaster steering stabilizer
2009 Acme Tow dolly w/ 2014 Avalon Hybrid Limited
NMRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 10:10 PM   #12
Winnebago Owners Club
Originally Posted by Texas SteveH View Post
We've been travel trailer RVing since the 70's, with a couple of pickup campers thrown in, but never a motorhome.

I would like to hear from those of you who converted from a travel trailer to a motorhome, your feelings of how you like it compared to the TT. How does it compare generally traveling? Easier to set up? Easier to get going in the morning? More or less convenient?

I generally know the plus and minuses lf each, so wondering just if you are as happy, not as happy, or happier with the MH.

Thanks for you input in advance.
In a MH I can ask my DW to "Fix us a sandwich" while we're traveling, we can hit the "head" while traveling (me once I pull over), she can lay down on the coach or the bed, she can sleep late while I drive off early in the morning, the dogs have more roaming room, the visibility is better, it's more fun to drive, easier to set up in a park, easier to break down in a park, easier to maneuver (for me), etc.

Good luck on your choice.
1999 Winnie Adventurer 37.5' (we call it a 38' for short) with a Ford Triton V10
2009 Yorkie named Teddy
2010 Ausi named Bear
Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 02:15 AM   #13
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Went from tent to Cub Camper, 5th Wheel and now on our third MH, first two were gassers our current on is a DP. Would not go back for a million bucks, for reasons stated already in the previous post.
2001 Itasca Horizon 36LD Cat
Retired Air Force, One lovely Angel, 2 Cats and three birds.
the_vfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 05:40 AM   #14
Monaco Owners Club
We owned the same TT for almost 20 years. Wore it out. We then bought a 10YO Monaco Dynasty. We love it. I did not like the loud forced air furnace nor the shortage of hot water in the TT. The Aqua Hot fixed that. The leveling in the TT got to be a pain, the Auto Air Leveling fixed that. Room and comfort in the TT? MH has plenty of both. Tiny 'Fridge? We put in a residential 'Fridge. On and on…… Does it cost more? Sure does.

We have no regrets.

Jim and Jennie, Cats=Bittles and Potter, 2000 Dynasty 350 ISC
2013 Silverado 4x4 Towed with R1200GS in bed.
PROV23:4 Do not wear yourself out to get rich; have the wisdom to show restraint.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote