Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-05-2016, 08:58 PM   #15
Monaco Owners Club
Originally Posted by relaxn View Post
FWIW, we have a 2009 Monaco and I think the built quality is excellent. Fit and finish is perfect both inside and outside. Nothing appears to be "odds and ends" parts. Engine, tranny...everything is exactly as stated on the build sheet. I have been under, over and inside it and I can't find anything to suggest that is was built with any less care than any other coach. Just my .02
I couldn't agree more! We looked at the more premium used RVs for about 8 months, and never really found one that had as good a fit and finish than the one we bought! I'm not saying theyre not out there but we didn't run across them. Also if you look at the 2015 motor home comparison guide you will see that in 2008 and 2009 Monaco had their highest ratings! It may be that the few RVs being made in 2009 the employees had a lot more time to do it right! Regards

2009 Monaco Camelot 425 HP cunmins ISL 40QDP
Toad- 2011 ford- flex tow 4 wheel down
rvadventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2016, 05:50 AM   #16
If money is no issue, I would have gone new. If money is limited, I would go for an older higher quality unit that a new one of lesser quality.

Ludmilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 06:18 AM   #17
Originally Posted by Ludmilla View Post
If money is no issue, I would have gone new. If money is limited, I would go for an older higher quality unit that a new one of lesser quality.
Money is always an issue, so that's my plan. I would think that a good inspection of the Monaco coach would uncover any quality issues. Tiffin has a reputation for standing behind their product. Provided the Monaco passes a detailed inspection, either way you go you'll probably be happy, just plan on having the new coach at the dealer's repair shop a few times fixing the quality control issues that seem common on almost all new coaches.

From a purely financial point, the Monaco may be a better deal as the Tiffin will depreciate a bit more. I wouldn't worry about the Monaco being difficult to sell when the time comes. Plenty of older coaches for sale and if taken care of you'll have no problem.

Bottom line: Buy what you want, or better, what the DW wants.
Tampa Bay
Current Ride 35' motor boat, Future Ride 37-42 DP
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 06:45 AM   #18
Interestingly, we traded a 1997 Monaco Dynasty on a 2005 Allegro Bus. My big issue with the Dynasty, other than no slide-outs, was that it took 3 football fields to turn the dang thing around. The Bus IFS was a real treat as it rode better, turned MUCH sharper, and was very nice to drive.
As to new or used, that's a personal choice, it's your money, you'll have to decide I'm afraid. A new coach is great, however, be prepared for spending some time getting a new coach "sorted out". If your not up to a few problems, some of which will be frustrating, then stay away from a new coach. If you can deal with some issues, want the newest technologies, and can afford it, a new coach should/could be in your future.
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 07:52 AM   #19
Thanks for all your help.
Really helps us make our decision
StuartS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 08:24 AM   #20
Both are fine coaches. But if that 500 in the Dynasty is the ISM, that would be the single largest reason (FOR ME) to go with that coach. (Well, I would like that extra $150K available too! You could spend $25-35K to 'refresh/modify' anything you want in the coach, and still be money ahead!)

And a comment on model years, a 2009 Dynasty, could have easily been built in 2008. Our 2004 CC, was built in Sept 2003, and the engine was built in July of 2003.

If that 500 is the ISX, I'd do a bit more research on the specific engine, to see if it is one of the ISX's that had a design flaw, costing North of $25K to resolve, if the engine itself is not damaged. (Go search Mr D on the Cummins section, as he had good info in his thread on the potential problematic ISX's.)

I also suspect that 500HP engine has a true Jake Compression Brake, either 2 Stage, possibly 3 Stage. And I'd much rather have that then an Exhaust Brake (Don't know if the Alegro Bus with 450 has a Compression or Exhaust. But even it is Compression, that BIG BLOCK of the 500 will give substantially more Braking HP for running down the hills. That is a safety advantage IMO.)

But again, both are fine coaches. I do feel the handling of the Roadmaster would be better too.

Best of luck to you, enjoy which ever rig you end up with,
Roo II is our 04 Country Coach Allure 40'
OnDRoad for The JRNY! Enjoy life...
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 09:08 AM   #21
If you ask a more defined black and white question like, what's better, crunchy or smooth peanut butter, then the answer is definitely crunchy.

For those gray areas like, what's better, new or old coach, then the answer is murky.

New coach comes with a warranty. But your coach will still have problems.

Used coach has no warranty. And all repair bills are yours. The value of your used coach will probably not rise at all with the repairs you make.

Kind of like asking new airplane or used airplane. I've done both and come out ahead on buying and later selling a new airplane. I've bought used airplanes before and the initial lower cost is often not worth the out of pocket costs for repairs and maintenance. An inspection here, a wing spar there, replacing gauges, interiors, wheels, brakes, or the cheap airplane with a nearly timed out engine. Engines have to be replaced or rebuilt every two thousand hours of use - to the tune of $35,000 or more.

Questions like Ford or Chevy, mountain or beach vacation, Colt or Smith & Wesson are much more cut and dry.
peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 08:00 PM   #22
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We bought a 2006 HR Navigator and simply love it. The fit and finish is beautiful and it doesn't look like a 9 year old coach. We won't buy new ever again because as mentioned you typically spend way too much time having warranty work done. We fell into that trap once.
sunset4k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 09:07 PM   #23
Here are the answers to your questions.

1. No. The 7 year old coach will be far less expensive to own for three years and then sell. Many tens of thousands of dollars less.

2. No. Selling a coach is dependent on condition and your price vs fair market estimate of value. Coaches with bad cosmetic /looks are hard to sell as are ones with undone repairs. Coaches priced low compared to estimate of value sell quicker.

The next three years are likely going to be very good years for the RV industry. Oil prices look to stay low for an extended period and low oil prices mean a robust RV industry. Plus lots and lots of retiring baby boomers. So the market for used coaches should be good 3 years from now.

As a comment, I am surprised that a 2009 Monaco has a wide turning radius. Or 2002 Country Coach Affinity has IFS and when I lift the tag a remarkably small turning radius. My second comment is that you will likely get a pre smog change motor. I think this is a major advantage. If for some reason it is one of the first "new" smog change motors then do not buy this coach. Monaco had issues with the early motors after the change.

If you are going to go new, be sure you look at all the similar coaches in the Allegro Bus price range, Winnebago Tour, Newmar Dutch Star, Entegra, and Fleetwood. Very likely none of these will be as well equipped as the Dynasty. Tiffin makes lots of stuff optional, so make sure you get everything you want/need. Like double pane windows. A Tiffin "extra".
B Bob
Country Coach 42' Affinity
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 09:17 PM   #24
Peterson - Preference in penut butter is just that, preference not fact.

But it is a fact that StuartS will spend less buying the used coach and then reselling in 3 years as compared to the new one. The used one will cost less with 100% probability.
B Bob
Country Coach 42' Affinity
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 06:29 PM   #25
wow, if i had that kind of money i would be looking at a low mile used prevost. really friend of mine just bought a prevost by liberty coach had 34000 miles on it paid 280g out the door. no trade looks like the taj majal inside and man what a ride.
oldsman41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 09:43 PM   #26
Originally Posted by StuartS View Post
like the dutch star but they will not put Villa upholstery in it & don't want Flex Steel.
Then buy a used Newmar and outfit it the way you want. You'll still save and you'll have an excellent coach.

Full-timed for 16 Years
. . . Back in S&B Again
Traveled in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Diesel
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote