Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2018, 12:55 PM   #29

Ford Super Duty Owner
There are many positives on purchasing a DP.

We have been test driving some entry level DP as well. The one thing we have found is the entry level DP are not power houses like their big brothers. The coach your looking at is 20hp less than a V10 gas, you will have 200lb of torque more. But, you will be at a minimum 4,000 lbs heavier.

All the entry level DP we have driven I can honestly say our gasser drives about the same power wise, no noticeable difference in that one category to us. We were actually a little disappointed in that respect.

We have a close friend with an entry level Tiffin DP, he can not keep up with us in the smokey mountains and we certainly are not real fast.

Best of luck, enjoy your new ride!

Steve
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2018, 01:27 PM   #30

Check your state requirements for you drivers license. The extra 4000 lbs may require an upgrade. Unless you already drive trucks with air brakes get a commercial drivers license manual if your state has one. Read the part about air brakes. It would not hurt to read the whole thing. You may not need to heed much of it for legal reasons but common sense will have you doing the same things anyway.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 02:10 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
The bedroom of a DP is very noisy on the highway with that big diesel right under the bed. Probably couldn't near the TV in our coach.
Dang...not what I was hoping, but certainly not unexpected. Oh well, I think if we actually get around to driving a DP all the other things would/could trump that. Thanks for your input!
1997 RexAir 32' Ford F53 Chassis, Banks system.
TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 04:07 PM   #32
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Simple thing to remember when you first start driving a diesel motor home (diesel trucks are a different story). Gas engines accelerate and respond to mashing down the throttle. Diesel engines gain momentum and will not respond well to mashing the throttle. So.....roll on the diesel power.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 02:52 PM   #33

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Well this thread has popped back up and we love our Palazzo. No extra license for here in Colorado. As for noise in the back, our adult DGD road in the bedroom and she said she only heard the engine when I was accelerating.

For power, it is a very big improvement over the 8.1 Vortex we had, took hills no problem at all. Only a couple of long grades slowed us down a little. And got 10 mpg towing a 4000 pound car. Twice as before. And yes had it weighed and are well within the GVWR and then some.

A big improvement in ride, power and handling over the last coach and a true pleasure to drive. I don't plan on going back to a gas coach again. I couldn't even imagine driving that old P30 we started out with 12 years ago.
High Plains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 06:26 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMoot View Post
Dang...not what I was hoping, but certainly not unexpected. Oh well, I think if we actually get around to driving a DP all the other things would/could trump that. Thanks for your input!
I have had some passengers ride in the rear bedroom. No complaints about noise. DW says it is no noisier to her than the old Gasser. That said, I do notice heat radiating up from the floor area under the bed after a long 300-400 mile leg and we stop and park. The heat isn't really that noticeable compared to the rest of the coach unless you go back and feel around. If we run the rear AC we are also usually running the front AC and we are fine. Our bed has a deep storage compartment under the mattress. I don't know if this insulates for both sound and heat but it really isn't that noticeable on our coach. Good luck.
iluvuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 06:55 PM   #35

Go with a high end gasser instead of a DP. Diesels break EXPENSIVE figure $10k if 3oz of water gets by water in fuel sensor from a disreputal fuel station. Injectors and injection pump are expensive. We have a 2000 Tropical and have been full timing for 3 years and thank our lucky stars that we never fell under the delusion that Diesels are better. I worked on Diesels during my working life and saw many times where customers had to pay for these repairs out of pocket. Transit bus companies can aford these Diesels, not consumers
Old 08-15-2018, 02:15 AM   #36

No no no! Just buy a 20 year old DP to get a price you can afford. They are good for a million miles so will not break and cost a fortune to fix. At least that is the message every time somebody says I have a tight budget and want a MH. Personally I doubt I will ever buy another diesel. Gas does all I want and I like hearing it wind up.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 04:02 AM   #37

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Too late, had a high end gasser for 8 years. Glad I traded up.
Old 08-15-2018, 07:53 AM   #38

Our DP has cost $2000 in repair over the last 5 years. I’ll bet a CHF on an F53 will be more than that, and never match a DP with air ride for ride comfort.
A word of caution: never test drive a DP with a tag axle. [emoji23]
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 09:42 AM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Plains View Post
Too late, had a high end gasser for 8 years. Glad I traded up.

Congratulations!
Enjoy that new DP of yours!

These threads are always fun to read.

I sure hope you followed the advice of the gasser owners who have never owned a dp and set aside $200,000-$300,000 per year for service.
And thats just the oil change.....
Old 08-15-2018, 09:59 AM   #40

For those gas owners who say their DW goes to the back to lay down while traveling.
Well, if you had DP your DW would have no reason to go back there. My DW would have her seat in full recline mode and she would be out like a light within the first hour. Never failed
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 09:59 AM   #41

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMan59 View Post
Congratulations!
Enjoy that new DP of yours!

These threads are always fun to read.

I sure hope you followed the advice of the gasser owners who have never owned a dp and set aside $200,000-$300,000 per year for service.
And thats just the oil change.....
Old 08-15-2018, 10:33 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by bneukam View Post
For those gas owners who say their DW goes to the back to lay down while traveling.
Well, if you had DP your DW would have no reason to go back there. My DW would have her seat in full recline mode and she would be out like a light within the first hour. Never failed
Yeah, but then her snoring would keep me awake! Oh wait..that'd be a good thing.
1997 RexAir 32' Ford F53 Chassis, Banks system.
TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas