Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2018, 05:50 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Going from a Gasser to a Pusher

Hey all, keeping my fingers crossed. DW and I are looking into upgrading to a 2016 Thor Palazzo 33.2. We found a really nice deal on one. Does anyone have any tips to share on what to expect with the difference of a pusher over a gasser?
High Plains is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2018, 06:09 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Plains View Post
Hey all, keeping my fingers crossed. DW and I are looking into upgrading to a 2016 Thor Palazzo 33.2. We found a really nice deal on one. Does anyone have any tips to share on what to expect with the difference of a pusher over a gasser?
Expect less noise up front, more power, a smoother ride, and likely higher maintenance cost. Also.... recommend you do a search on these forums on Thor quality and others. I personally would select a higher end coach that may be a bit older. Great deals are far and few in between and you usually get what you pay for. Good luck!
MO Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 06:20 AM   #3

-much easier to fuel, with fuel openings on both sides, and right behind the driver/passenger, so you can easily pull in right next to the pump... you'll need a little DEF every now and then, but a simple purchase of a 2 /12 gallon container at Walmart for $7.88 to keep onboard is the easiest method, matter-of-fact, that's the only way I add DEF. I also don't use truck stops for fuel, regular stations are just fine, even when I'm towing.

-sits and rides much lower, and the air bags provide great 'smooth' riding, with the engine under the bedroom in the rear, you'll NO have issues with conversations and/or listening to the radio or music

-diesel pushers typically come with more robust electrical systems, with more batteries, larger generators, and AGS(automatic generator starter) included. All your outlets will also be on the inverter, so you can do basically anything while dry-camping that you can do when on generator or shore power.(except air conditioners, of course)... allow your inverter and AGS to provide continuous power without worry.

travel, enjoy! : ) we do!
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 06:26 AM   #4

Well you may get a lot of responses on this one. So here it goes.

First off we have never owned a gasser. I grew up with my family and my dad would rent one to go fishing in Canada each year. So that is my only direct experience. Now I have plenty of experience driving gas and diesel trucks pulling trailers. So...

What I like: I like having the motor in the rear much quieter. I have an excavating business and am a total diesel fan. Out of 10 trucks and machines only two are gas. I like the torque, less downshifting and engine screaming than a gasser. I have heard newer v-10 aren't as bad. Our rig has air ride nice ride easy to service. Air ride is usually truck components, bags, valves and parts all easily available within reason at truck shops. Along with the nice ride you get unmatched stability. Our rig has two leveling valves in the rear and thus it is very solid when passing or being passed by trucks. It doesn't move solid as a rock. Ours also has a leveling system which levels on the air bags no jacks. Ups and downs to that one also but I like it. Gas mileage. Our trip home from Ocala Fla to Myrtle Beach, then home to Kennett Square Pa my silverleaf said we averaged 9.1 mpg. Not sure how that compares with a gasser but I am happy. My f-350 service truck with gas 460 gets 8mpg for comparison. Not sure what our rig weighs but it is 40'. Room, without a drive line you have massive basement storage.

So what are the cons? Many I am sure but I am blinded by my loving choice LOL. Services are much more than a gasser, but, I do my own so not a big deal for me. Maybe tires and such are more expensive too but again you are riding in a heavier and stronger tire. Maybe length is an issue depending on where you go?
2000 Country Coach Allure #30476
2007 Subaru Outback
Winters in Ocala, summers in Pa and North East US.
funjnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 07:52 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Not mentioned here......the torque difference is amazing. The “punch it” response is just the opposite. First time in DP caught in 5:00 traffic, needed to punch it to get across 4 lanes. It is a DOG from slow speed. But man will it pull a mountain if you are at speed.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:00 AM   #6

We recently traded from a gas to a DP and the only thing that has bothered me is the heat build up in the rear bedroom over the motor while driving. The same thing probably happened in the gas MH but we just controlled it for our comfort while driving. I often will run the rear air while driving even though the dash air is sufficient for our driving comfort just to keep the rear temperatures manageable.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:24 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I really appreciate all the replies, we hope to hear today if a deal can be made.
High Plains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 08:38 AM   #8

If it's diesel you want...look at the newest class..."Super C". I looked at Palazzo myself and passed for many reasons. The F550 chassis is a beast. Because of the additional power available, the coach is now the style and size of the bigger A gassers. It fits a very nice void between A gassers and DP's
Funding Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 08:47 AM   #9

I'm with the "Keep looking for a better quality DP" crowd. I've only been in a few Thor products and was not impressed. Good Luck with whatever you choose. You will like the diesel power and smooth air ride.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 09:19 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yep, 0 to 60 in only 60 seconds! So far my '14 DP has been reliable, but I'm keeping tabs, records on everything. More to do but easier to drive.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:32 AM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger G View Post
We recently traded from a gas to a DP and the only thing that has bothered me is the heat build up in the rear bedroom over the motor while driving. The same thing probably happened in the gas MH but we just controlled it for our comfort while driving. I often will run the rear air while driving even though the dash air is sufficient for our driving comfort just to keep the rear temperatures manageable.
Even the heat build up can be controlled. Some Country Coaches came with an OTR air con condenser under the bed. Mine has it, but then there's no under bed storage which I miss.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 09:41 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
We have heavy throw rugs we distribute thru the coach when at a site and just spread them out in the rear bath over the engine access cover when driving and close the doors...

Since we have bath and a half, no loss of use while driving and once at a park, the roof air cools it down quickly YRMV

Now, the rear closet has 'warm' clothes when we stop but ....
Old 05-22-2018, 09:47 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
The heat buildup in the bedroom is pretty extreme on my DP from what I have noticed. I just close the sliding door to the bedroom while in motion and open up the rear windows. With the door closed I dont hear the wind noise and it keeps it mostly cool.

If its raining I usually just deal with it (open roof vents where I can), the heat doesnt really make it up toward the front.

We went from a 33' class C gasser to a 40' DP. Happy so far! Probably wont be with the bill the first time I do engine work though, lol.

The ride is much smoother, far more storage, quieter ride (can actually talk to passengers!), and its nice to have some go power behind the pedal.
-BigRed- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 09:49 AM   #14

Good luck with the DPF and DEF systems. Not to mention Thor quality. I stand with others who stand with better quality made older coaches.

2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
1doodadd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas