Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2018, 01:10 PM   #43

You may want to checkout new electric bikes... 48 volt 20+ miles ... worked well at san clemente ca for a week
scottknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2018, 08:53 PM   #44

Things change, with the creation of Uber one actually can get to a shopping center, grocery, etc quite easily. It would be too expensive to sightsee via Uber though.
That said we tow my Silverado and wouldn't be without its use.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 10:11 AM   #45

I looked over a few of these replies and maybe I missed it but we use our toad for storage also. You can cram a lot of stuff into it you don't need everyday but still use on occasion. Also if you are out in the boondocks broken down with no cell service you will be glad you have something to get to service or into town for help. We pull the Goldwing in a enclosed trailer with lots of extra room for stuff plus 40gals extra water.
sportstergre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 10:33 AM   #46

toads

We have a mid Engine Travel Supreme and carry a vintage Mini Cooper in the garage, it works just great
RT 41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 10:40 AM   #47

Send a message via ICQ to Lutrinae Send a message via Skype™ to Lutrinae
We did without for long time but when we added the Jeep Wrangler what a pleasure don't know why I waited so long.
Lutrinae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 02:50 PM   #48

Never leave home without our tow car. If you need something from the market, a drive to the beach, take my dogs to a nearby dog park, dinner and mainly if there is an medical emergency. My toad even has a name “Red Racer” 🚗
NeeNee33.4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 03:16 PM   #49

One of our first trips in our first motorhome was to Quartzsite. We were newbies and didn't have a toad. So after spending our first night, the next morning we packed up everything and drove the MH to the various shows around the town. When we got back, someone was in our space! The campground thought we'd left early and gave our space away. Fortunately they had one "loaner" space, sort of a dump by the dumpsters, that they let us stay there for our second night. From that time on until we got our toad, we always left our chairs and carpet at the site, better to lose them to thieves then to lose your site.
starcrwzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 03:22 PM   #50

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
Not knowing whether you're going to be a weekend warrior or a FTer makes if difficult to answer the question.

But even most FTers really don't need a toad either because they:
• Like staying in one place for a long periods of time and never go anywhere
• Hate sight seeing, fishing, hiking, going to cool places for photography and visiting local activities
• Can carry enough supplies and groceries for weeks
• Won't ever have any emergencies
• Never go out to eat
• Don't mind hauling big loads of dirty laundry on their back to the laundry mat
• Never need to pick up their mail at a local post office or a Amazon Locker

Most crew chiefs (like myself when I was in the Army) had to be prepared for any situation. But...I say go for it and let us know how it all works out.
Wow!! not nice.
Bounder28T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 03:23 PM   #51

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by YT5CrewChief View Post
Does anyone ever do this? I realize that I'd have to disconnect everything if I wanted to leave the RV site and that the 37 feet of Class A would be tricky to park in certain areas, but I'm tempted to try it before I decide to toad or not to toad. Help me with an answer!
We use Enterprise car rental and find it convenient. No hassle about all the issues surrounding dragging a vehicle such as wear and tear, additional insurance, maintenance and worry. It worked for us this past spring on a 12,000 mile National Park Tour.
DGundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 03:27 PM   #52

Entegra Owners Club
I did it in a Cruise America Class C and hated it, but I had no choice. Now I have a choice and I will not go anywhere without a tow car. It is a great convenience, and its value is not to be underestimated. As for renting a car at destination, now that is an INconvenience.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 03:40 PM   #53

It's a Personal Decision...To Toad or Not to Toad?!

The wife and I have been RV'ing for a little over 3 years and have put about 18,000 miles between the two Class A RVs we've owned. What works for us is, on trips 2 hours or under (and there have many), my wife drives her car and meets me. On trips over 2 hours and when we spend more then 1 overnight, we will rent a car (there has been an Enterprise everywhere we've been AND they pick you up and drop you off...even at RV or campgrounds) that normally runs about $30 a day. We've done this many many times and it works for us. When we full time it or after the wife retires, we're going to use the Acme Eze-tow dolly that we own (and have for 2 1/2 years), but haven't used or needed to as of this time. To Toad or Not to Toad...it's a personal choice and decision. What works best for you is what you should do!!! Happy RV'ing!
davidnanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 03:42 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by YT5CrewChief View Post
Does anyone ever do this? I realize that I'd have to disconnect everything if I wanted to leave the RV site and that the 37 feet of Class A would be tricky to park in certain areas, but I'm tempted to try it before I decide to toad or not to toad. Help me with an answer!

Being alone in a 40' class A I didn't want to tow anything - so I had a lift installed for my 1300cc motorcycle and up until this trip I had to rent a car one time - the bike was always sufficient. Now it has an ignition problem Honda can't solve and it's dead weight back there. But with Uber and all the other taxi services available, I'd say it would be worth it to try without the toad. You can get a lot of places locally on a bicycle, but not practical for shopping.
PeterFTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 03:45 PM   #55

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Keep in mind I'm retired and have time. It's a preference, some do some don't. I'm not a full timer so I don't. Most of my trips are within several hundred miles of home. I have AAA RV coverage plus Good Sam coverage. If I get into trouble someone will have my back. AAA offers road side medical assistance, not just medical info services. I also have "travel back home" and "hotel stay" coverage. All RV services will tow your RV. It all depends on your comfort level and how you prepare. Modern technology and services allows for more options. I think toads are a constant expense, my services have a one time cost per year, and likely less than the cost of fuel to pull a toad. Hope this helps, either way have fun!!!
Bounder28T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 03:50 PM   #56
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Yep- one word. UBER

considering the cost of dragging it, ( fuel, insurance, broken things) we have taken several trips with just bikes and the UBER app. Even in places where we were isolated, we found that there were UBER drivers in the park! They kept the app on and used their toad to haul us around. Best deal ever. On a 2 week trip, with 5 stops, we spent about $190 in UBER fees. Not bad in my mind to have a private driver drop me at the front of Walmart, the museum, restaurant, and everywhere else we went.

Makes enjoying that last glass of super great wine at the bistro even more enjoyable knowing neither of us is driving.

Load the app and try it when you do have your toad. Then track costs for a while and evaluate. Sometimes less hassle is more fun.

aluminum03 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad