Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2018, 01:15 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Going it Without a Toad?

Does anyone ever do this? I realize that I'd have to disconnect everything if I wanted to leave the RV site and that the 37 feet of Class A would be tricky to park in certain areas, but I'm tempted to try it before I decide to toad or not to toad. Help me with an answer!
YT5CrewChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2018, 02:49 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via MSN to KennyGolub
JMHO but if you're going anywhere for more than two or three days, you will appreciate just jumping in the toad and running your errands.

Setting up for the toad isn't a real big deal.
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 03:04 AM   #3
Community Administrator

Going it Without a Toad?

We never left home without it. Actually put more miles on them than the MH’s and we put 93,000 miles on the MH’s.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 05:23 AM   #4

Doing it right now and wont do it again. Virtually every place we stop for more that three or so days the need for a car comes up unless we are willing to break down and drive our 37 footer to Wal-Mart.
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 05:32 AM   #5

Now that we have one we won’t be without it.

Did it last year before we got the Toad. Rented or the wife drove one over if it was close.

Much easier with the Toad.
Gumpster808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 05:33 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
To answer the question...yes some do it without a toad. For the most part I think those that tried it didn't like it. Certainly there are a few situation where it is less a problem.

I know a few snow birds that drive directly from sticks-n-bricks to their warm weather site. They either don't pull a toad or they pull a trailer with their golf cart on it. They have a car in storage when they get there so they load up the coach with all they need for the trip.

Once we rented a car at our destination. That was workable but convinced us we wanted a toad.

So, for a few times while you are picking and setting up the RV and toad for use you can make it work. After that it gets real old real fast.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 05:35 AM   #7

Seriously?? Unless you are a homebody and never get out, then you need a toad.
MO Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 05:58 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
We tried it in our 25 foot Class C and the experiment lasted 3 whole weeks before we were toad shopping. Even with the 25 footer it was a PIA. We could never find convenient parking in places we visited and breaking down camp every day (took 30 min) and re setting up another 30 min. Hooking up the toad takes 6 min and unhooking about 5min and you only do it ONCE for every campground.

Now in the 40 footer I would not even consider not having a toad.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 06:21 AM   #9

Not to mention, you leave your campsite for a few hours to come back and find someone else is already set up in your site
wingnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 06:26 AM   #10

We are 38 ft
No toad , 8 years we have small Honda scooter that works well , when in a camp ground we use public transportation if available or rent we only rented a few times mostly we just take our rig it doesn’t bother me to drive it around towns and we manage to find parking . As for breaking camp it no problem, most of the time I just have the electric hooked up, use our holding tanks till need dumping , makes breaking and setting up a few mins , awning , and a couple chairs
gbstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 06:27 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by YT5CrewChief View Post
tempted to try it before I decide to toad or not to toad.
Not knowing whether you're going to be a weekend warrior or a FTer makes if difficult to answer the question.

But even most FTers really don't need a toad either because they:
• Like staying in one place for a long periods of time and never go anywhere
• Hate sight seeing, fishing, hiking, going to cool places for photography and visiting local activities
• Can carry enough supplies and groceries for weeks
• Won't ever have any emergencies
• Never go out to eat
• Don't mind hauling big loads of dirty laundry on their back to the laundry mat
• Never need to pick up their mail at a local post office or a Amazon Locker

Most crew chiefs (like myself when I was in the Army) had to be prepared for any situation. But...I say go for it and let us know how it all works out.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 07:37 AM   #12

Neither of our daily drivers are flat towable and we are not full timers.

Majority of our trips are 1-3 hours from home so my drives separately with our dog and Kayaks. For further afield we would pick a rental car on route.

It works for us until we change one of our cars to a towable or get a dedicated toad.
Old 08-16-2018, 07:39 AM   #13

We have homes in WI and AZ with vehicles in both places. However, I tow my Avalanche when traveling back and forth or where ever we go. It doesn't take much fuel and I feel it's security and transportation in the event of mechanical trouble or an unplanned side trip comes along. We don't leave home without it.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 08:54 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Does carrying a motorcycle count as having a toad?
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad