Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2015, 08:10 PM   #15

You severely limit your sightseeing options without a towed. The rock damage is overblown IMO, IF you drive slowly and remember to allow at least 4-5 MH lengths between you and the vehicle you follow.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2015, 08:15 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jones47172 View Post
We pull our Mini, which is an automatic, with the ACME dolly. After pulling the Mini about 8,000 miles there have never been any rock damage. I sort of figure that with the Mini raised in the front on the dolly, the rocks don't tend to hit it. However, going to Alaska I would want more protection. If your Mini has a manual transmission I have heard it can be pulled 4 down. A big disadvantage with this method and a Mini is how low the front end is going to be to the ground. Also, with a tow bar, to keep the bar level the hitch would be so low to the ground it would hit every so often.

The best option would be to pull something with 4 wheel drive.

+1.

I have a MINI but use my 4WD Chevy Avalanche as a toad for all the reasons stated above.

Cheers!

Old 02-27-2015, 05:34 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Frost heaves with dolly?

I have traveled to Alaska along the Alaska Highway last year but did so in a truck camper. This year we are making the run from Georgia to Anchorage in our 31 ft MH towing a dolly with a Ford Focus.

Last year the only bad areas with frost heaves I remember were from Destruction Bay up to the border then Tok down to Palmer in a few places.

I don't have fond memories of traveling those segments, but it was definitely doable in the TC. We took it real slow about 4 hours from Destruction bay to Tok

This year I am a bit more concerned about the frequency and elevation of heaves in those areas and any impacts on the toad (i.e. dragging dolly tongue or rear of the MH dragging etc). My mind isn't helping me remember if these will be a problem for me this year- and I must admit to some anxiety even though its a few months out until we leave. I passed relatively easily over them with the TC albeit really slow. Anyone had any experience with passage across the frost heaves while towing?
Old 02-27-2015, 06:25 PM   #18

We're going to Alaska this summer for the first time. No way I'd go without the toad for the reasons stated prior. Any damage to the toad can be fixed when I get home.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:32 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanrasc View Post
I have traveled to Alaska along the Alaska Highway last year but did so in a truck camper. This year we are making the run from Georgia to Anchorage in our 31 ft MH towing a dolly with a Ford Focus.

Last year the only bad areas with frost heaves I remember were from Destruction Bay up to the border then Tok down to Palmer in a few places.

I don't have fond memories of traveling those segments, but it was definitely doable in the TC. We took it real slow about 4 hours from Destruction bay to Tok

This year I am a bit more concerned about the frequency and elevation of heaves in those areas and any impacts on the toad (i.e. dragging dolly tongue or rear of the MH dragging etc). My mind isn't helping me remember if these will be a problem for me this year- and I must admit to some anxiety even though its a few months out until we leave. I passed relatively easily over them with the TC albeit really slow. Anyone had any experience with passage across the frost heaves while towing?
Keep an eye open for the black skid marks left on the pavement from the spinning wheels of the Semi's as they go over the frost heaves. Most of the heaves are marked with Red Markers but the ones that aren't will sneak up on you. Watch for the skid marks and slow down, you'll be fine.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:37 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
You severely limit your sightseeing options without a towed. The rock damage is overblown IMO, IF you drive slowly and remember to allow at least 4-5 MH lengths between you and the vehicle you follow.
Rock damage to toads is Not overblown. I guarantee you without protection to the front of your toad, you Will have paint chips, broken windshield and or broken headlights.
Removing the big rear mud flap will help as long as you have a good set of flaps behind the rear wheels.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:40 PM   #21
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
Rock damage to toads is Not overblown. I guarantee you without protection to the front of your toad, you Will have paint chips, broken windshield and or broken headlights.

Removing the big rear mud flap will help as long as you have a good set of flaps behind the rear wheels.

I agree . Mine was protected.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1425084051.921053.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	87265

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 10:39 PM   #22

Forest River Owners Club
Do you currently tow your Mini??? I tow my 2003 Mini 5 speed and love it.... I use a Roadmaster set up.... They stock the base plate you'll need... I don't have an auxiliary braking system since it only weighs 2200 lbs....

I'd seriously consider some sort of front-end protection for your Mini or I can guarantee you will have a broken windshield, headlight, or grill damage....

Having been to Alaska three times, I can speak to the conditions of many to the roads up there and you need to realize that there is LOTS of roadwork going on during the summer because that's the only season they can get it done.... Be prepared for some delays at construction sites with lots of loose gravel that loves windshields.....
Old 02-27-2015, 10:42 PM   #23

Forest River Owners Club
As was mentioned earlier, you really need to tread carefully around the frost heaves because of the low clearance your Mini has......
Old 02-28-2015, 02:32 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
I agree . Mine was protected.
Attachment 87265

That looks familiar. We had a few in our group with NO protection and they were a mess. In desperation, one couple strapped on an old quilt to prevent further damage. If I go again, I will consider one of these:
http://shop.coastlinervandoffroad.co...Shields_c8.htm

Or go by boat.....

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 02-28-2015, 05:57 PM   #25
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
That looks familiar. We had a few in our group with NO protection and they were a mess. In desperation, one couple strapped on an old quilt to prevent further damage. If I go again, I will consider one of these:
http://shop.coastlinervandoffroad.co...Shields_c8.htm

Or go by boat.....

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

That's the Co. I bought mine from.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 07:56 PM   #26

We went to Alaska 2010 and completely tore up our HHR Chevy. Every place Was damaged by rocks. But my vote would be to take your toad. As mentioned before, where the roads were repaired the rocks were big but it was only a short distance that happened just before Tok, Alaska. The mud flap would hit the middle of the road between the shallow ruts in the gravel and would kick up the rocks that hit the toad. Just needed to drive slower in those areas, and have some protection on the toad. I didn't have any damage to the motorhome, but will go again with a toad. Will put a shield on the tow bar and wrap the front end before we hit that stretch of road. It changes from year to year as to how much the damages to roads and the repair are. Go for it, you need some other transportation to go to places that you Can't take your motorhome.
Steve
Old 02-28-2015, 10:16 PM   #27

Your toad is your life boat on the road. I would never leave home without ours no matter where we are going.

Jim
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 06:02 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for all the information, we will take our toad. Very helpful.
dbray

Tags
toad