Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2015, 06:31 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Going to Alaska: take the toad or not

DW and I can not agree on taking our toad(mini cooper) along on our trip to Alaska this spring. We have discussed the advantages and disadvantages and would like to hear from folks who did the trip with a toad and without.
We tow using a dolly and not using the ferry. Opinions please and thanks in advance.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2015, 06:46 AM   #2

dbray, I would not leave home without it. First, without the toad you are really stuck when it come to running out for supplies, running of the main road for sightseeing, etc. However, on a trip like that, it is also your emergency vehicle. What if you breakdown? Stuck for a week someplace waiting for a part? Can your DW drive the MH if you break a leg or something tripping over a rock? What are the advantages of not bringing it? If you are worried about damage, buy a beater to tow instead.

If you are traveling with a group, then these arguments may change, but then you are dependent on others that did bring their toad. That could get old for all involved.

Good luck with your decision and trip,

Jeff
Spizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 06:55 AM   #3

we are also at that same cross road... we have a trailer that hauls our hhr...
I say.. what we gonna do with the trailer when it's empty,,, some places will barely fit the coach...

I'm say'n I wanna buy the tow bar and flat tow on the ground so we can un hook and not be bothered with the trailer..

I could buy a dolly , but already have a 2 trailers in the yard...

I would think... IMO.... flat towing would be the way to go...
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 07:01 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Take your car!!! You will not regret it. Keep all your travel options open when traveling far from home. We experienced a break down in Homer for 8 days while parts were delivered and problem repaired. Our car allowed us to continue our exploration while staying in motels. Remember trips usually have limited time schedules. Don't limit your options.

Safe travels and THE JOY IS IN THE RIDE
RV735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 07:49 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
we are also at that same cross road... we have a trailer that hauls our hhr...
I say.. what we gonna do with the trailer when it's empty,,, some places will barely fit the coach...

I'm say'n I wanna buy the tow bar and flat tow on the ground so we can un hook and not be bothered with the trailer..

I could buy a dolly , but already have a 2 trailers in the yard...

I would think... IMO.... flat towing would be the way to go...

Flat towing is the way to go. Easier hookup and you don't have the hassle of finding a place for a dolly or trailer. Only advantage could be the ability to back up some.

Jeff
Spizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 08:29 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spizzer View Post
Flat towing is the way to go. Easier hookup and you don't have the hassle of finding a place for a dolly or trailer. Only advantage could be the ability to back up some.

Jeff
thanks whats the best way to go tow bar wise... and where do you go to buy it???
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 12:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
thanks whats the best way to go tow bar wise... and where do you go to buy it???
The big three in tow bars are Roadmaster, Blue Ox, & Demco. There is also a company that makes tow bars with built in surge brake system. I think it is called Ready Brake, but not sure about that one. You will also need a baseplate on the towed car. This is what the tow bar attaches to.

You will need some kind of braking system. Both Blue Ox and Roadmaster offer several types and there are other brands like M&G and Air Force One.

Last thing you will need to do is allow someway to illuminate the towed vehicles brake lights, turn signals and tail lights. Or you can go with magnetic brake lights that attach on the back of your car.

Most RV service shops, including Camping World, can sell and install for you. These places can explain the variations in tow bars and braking systems and lighting systems and help you decide which is best for you.
jrwitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 12:48 PM   #8

I've taken the trip many times with a tow dolly. You run the risk of some gravel damage in construction zones and on the stretch from Whitehorse to the border DON'T be in a hurry. Frost heaves can be bad!!!! As far as tow dollies....Acme seems good.
GScherrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 12:55 PM   #9

I'd be interested in hearing your reasons for NOT taking a toad.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 01:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah View Post
I'd be interested in hearing your reasons for NOT taking a toad.

My Wrangler would cry!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 02:47 PM   #11

Did this trip last summer. Definitely take your toad. We had the same debate to toad or not to toad and very glad we did take it.

Which ever towing method you choose, make sure you have protection for the toad against stones. We used a BlueOx Kar Guard and a custom windshield cover and faired pretty well. Others in our group without had broken windshields, broken headlights.
I ended up taking the rear mud flap off in Whitehorse because it was dragging when going through some of the low spots and throwing rocks up on the toad. Sounds weird I know, but it is fact.
I also used this armorall product on the mirrors and front end with great success. After the trip it peeled right off and the paint finish was unharmed.

Custom Shield | Armor All
Old 02-26-2015, 03:09 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
DW and I lived in Alaska for 5 years and then worked summers for another eight. We have traveled the Alcan 22 times. Think Jeep. Buy a used Wrangler,(or Liberty) simple tow bar, and light setup. Very easy to tow and hook/unhook. You don't really need brakes with a jeep BUT RCMP does enforce towed vehicle laws. Jeep would be easy to resell after you return home. Many places you may wish to visit cannot be done in a motorhome but easy to do in a Jeep. And allow enough time to visit and sight see. Several months would not be too much. Visit the North Slope oil fields, but fly rather than drive if you can. You can drive the motorhome up the haul road to Deadhorse but you'll cry when the windshield goes.
AKmtnpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 03:11 PM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbray View Post
DW and I can not agree on taking our toad(mini cooper) along on our trip to Alaska this spring. We have discussed the advantages and disadvantages and would like to hear from folks who did the trip with a toad and without.
We tow using a dolly and not using the ferry. Opinions please and thanks in advance.
We pull our Mini, which is an automatic, with the ACME dolly. After pulling the Mini about 8,000 miles there have never been any rock damage. I sort of figure that with the Mini raised in the front on the dolly, the rocks don't tend to hit it. However, going to Alaska I would want more protection. If your Mini has a manual transmission I have heard it can be pulled 4 down. A big disadvantage with this method and a Mini is how low the front end is going to be to the ground. Also, with a tow bar, to keep the bar level the hitch would be so low to the ground it would hit every so often.

The best option would be to pull something with 4 wheel drive.
jones47172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 03:20 PM   #14

Bring a toad you can SEE the countryside.. (groceries are a bit challenging though)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150214_064145-1.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	203.1 KB
ID:	87158  
Todd157k is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad