Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2014, 08:33 AM   #1

Going to possibly purchase a 1995 Hawkins today, advice?

We've been speaking with someone about their 1995 M-31 Hawkins Pusher and we are driving 5 hours today to potentially buy it. Looks in great condition, 5.9 cummins, 6.5kw generator, clean in and out. The not so goods are the refrigerator does not work, not sure about tires and there are no manuals. I guess the original owner had them out of the RV when he passed away and they are long gone. I have not been able to find anything on the 1995 anywhere on the net. Even the HMC sites really only have info up to 1993 and that scares me to death really.

This is our first RV and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2014, 09:09 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by phunny View Post
We've been speaking with someone about their 1995 M-31 Hawkins Pusher and we are driving 5 hours today to potentially buy it. Looks in great condition, 5.9 cummins, 6.5kw generator, clean in and out. The not so goods are the refrigerator does not work, not sure about tires and there are no manuals. I guess the original owner had them out of the RV when he passed away and they are long gone. I have not been able to find anything on the 1995 anywhere on the net. Even the HMC sites really only have info up to 1993 and that scares me to death really.

This is our first RV and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Good luck, sounds to me like it doesn't scare you to death that there are no manuals or you wouldn't be driving 5 hours to go see it?

Old 10-13-2014, 09:45 AM   #3

Are you getting that good a deal on it? Sounds like you may have to put a minimum of $10k into it to get it in any kind of shape, and there are a lot of coaches out there at reasonable prices.
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 10:11 AM   #4

No fears. If your buying it cheap enough go for it. Remember, it will probably need tires, new refer(amish cooling unit at the least), all coolant and lubricants changed along with all hoses and belts. Plus new batteries. That is going to cost some dollars. Biggest thing I would be worried about would be water leaks.
As for the manuals, well lets just say.... generally there not worth the paper their printed on. Once you get it home, write down make and model nunbers and go online to print manuals for each component. That way you will have something worth while.
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 11:17 AM   #5

Also if it's a rear radiator like mine the belts are almost impossible to get to. My next DP will be a side radiator.
Old 10-13-2014, 11:36 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Have you tried searching iRV2 for other owners of Hawkins MH's?
hawkins - Google Search

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 11:46 AM   #7

Paying 9k for it if we get it. He says there are no water leaks and besides the fridge and tires it's in great shape but we shall see as I've heard that before. I was planning on putting 2-3k into it and that will be parts only as we do all of our own work. I forgot to mention the fuel gauge does not work and I'm not sure if I'll worry about dropping the tank if it's the sending unit or not.
Old 10-13-2014, 11:16 PM   #8

2-3K that is just the cost of tires.
jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 09:16 AM   #9

Water leaks usually leave a stain. Maybe look behind any furniture near a window, as well as around the A/C and roof vents.

My memory is that Hawkins was a relatively high line coach. However, anything that old may need little "fixes", but it sounds like you are generally handy with tools, etc. so good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phunny View Post
Paying 9k for it if we get it. He says there are no water leaks and besides the fridge and tires it's in great shape but we shall see as I've heard that before. I was planning on putting 2-3k into it and that will be parts only as we do all of our own work. I forgot to mention the fuel gauge does not work and I'm not sure if I'll worry about dropping the tank if it's the sending unit or not.
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 11:33 AM   #10

I looked at a 95 Hawk special 40 ft with Cat last month. 170,000 miles. They're asking 15k
very faded paint, soft spot on floor under side window. I was told the window was left open one time,,, I'm not sure what works and what doesn't work. The motor fired right up. It sounds smooth. Didn't look for blowby, I think it's part of an estate sale. Oh and the tire are cracked. It's been sitting all Summer at the lot. If I make an offer, it will be much lower. I have no idea what the retail should be,, but I'm guessing this beast cost a lot when it was new. All seating is leather, and looks new
Old 10-21-2014, 08:54 PM   #11

Was sold before we had a chance, but as librarians, we researched them. Seem like killer, before their time RVs. Use NADA and make the deal
Old 12-27-2014, 09:39 AM   #12

The 95 Hawkin is still sitting in the lot. It's not a 40 footer,, maybe 36 , bumper to bumper The best offer has been 12k, I was thinking less. Too many unknowns at this point. The lot guy said we need to take it for a drive before we make an offer, Evn offered his dumpster if we buy it, All of the drawers,cabinets and under storage are loaded. .
Old 01-31-2015, 08:56 PM   #13

The Hawkins should be in my driveway next weekend. What the heck,, it's only money.
Old 02-02-2015, 06:33 AM   #14

Send a message via Skype™ to hammer55
good luck

Tags
advice, purchase