Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2009, 09:41 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Going to the other side?!

In the WorkHorse owners forum the question was asked if anyone was having the itch for a new rig. My answer is yes but for a different reasons.
My family started RV'ng in a class B Coachman on a E-250. We went Everywhere!. Even when we broke down on the way to Zion NP (fuel pump)and blistered tires in Death Valley, we had fun.

The kids got older and wanted to bring friends. We upgraded to a class C on a E-Superduty. We had a blast! Went all over the east coast. The fun never ended. We invented reasons to go RV'ng.

Then we upgraded (or downgraded) to the Class A on Workhorse.

First trip to the Florida panhandle the lights went out. After 1 hr found out the light switch came unplugged from the harness. No big deal.

Second trip. Kids all pumped up for snow skiing. 30 min away from home the right rear brake started overheating in stop and go interstate traffic.
Trip cancelled.

Third trip. Spark plug wires burnt 1/2 way to the Smokeys. Called ahead to a Workhorse repair center (Reader Chevrolet) that had us up and going in less than 2 hours.

One time had the family and inlaws all packed in then had more brake problems. Trip cancelled.

After a few uneventfull trips, I think the brake problem is fixed for now but chassis part are still hard to get and expensive. Tires are now due at $300-350 each

Now, because I read too much, I worry about the Instrument Cluster going out, the air intake injesting too much water, the windshield wipers not working or the A/C going out because of a valve that will not close/open properly.

My 4 way flashers don't work (found out last weekend after a rear wheel blew out a sidewall)and my HWH jack alarm goes for no apparent reason.

All these things make me lean towards a TT or a 5th wheel. These have parts anywhere. Much easier and cheaper to repair or maintain-I think.

Anyone else have these feelings?

Thanks for letting me rant!

RottenRalph is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2009, 03:30 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Scott, I hope you feel better. It is true, that a motorized unit will have a higher probability of issues than non-motorized. I have found that the more a unit is used and maintained, the less problem one has. I am an optimist and when something went wrong, I would try to remind myself, that it could be worse. I refuse to dwell and even distract the notion of "what if"! Man, anything is possible. I could die at any moment. Get run over on the road. Do I stop driving? NO. Balance is crucial to happiness. Take care of things and don't sweat the small stuff.

06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 06:51 AM   #3

Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you go to a 5'r spend a little more money and install a tire pressure monitoring system and monitor all wheels including the truck's.

All though we all should invest in such a system regardless of what we drive or tow.

I have one and drive relaxed knowing the system will warn me of a tire losing air pressure.
FLYTYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 07:25 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Scott, sorry to hear that RVing doesn't seem to be fun anymore. While we both have different makes of MH's we have same chassis.
We have traveled in present MH and not have had your problems but last year the MH sat in front of new rebuilt home all summer and has been sitting in driveway all winter. We are getting ready to make a short trip to N.Y. than to irv2 Rally in Ohio in June. I'm going to check all systems before trips to make sure will not have any problems with the MH.
I feel confident that everything will check out ok because they have before.
If you let all the problems you read on this forum get you down and you lose the confidence of your coach giving you enjoyment than we have let you down.
I view all the problems as a tool to make sure my MH checks out and eliminate a potential problem, it has work for me and I believe others, this has been my 6th MH and I have followed this course with all of them.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 07:49 AM   #5
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
It's regretful that the poor reliability reputation of Class A's on the WH chassis has diminished the fun and pleasure of your RVing experiences. I'm certain there must be many WH Class A's that don't experience all of the maladies associated with that chassis. But I can understand your concerns, I've read those forums too.

As an experienced user of 5th wheels, having owned 5 of them over the past 17 years, and having pulled tag along trailers for 20 years prior to the 5th wheels, I can say I've had only one trip aborted due to a mechanical failure. That was due to a broken clutch master cylinder on the truck 12 years ago. I also had some tire problems on the trailer once back in 1998 that delayed our trip by one day.

The remainder of my 37 years of RVing with a trailer/5th wheel has been relatively trouble free with only an occasional minor malady that was easily repaired. In my opinion trailers are much, much more dependable than a motorized RV and the trucks we use to tow them with are very dependable if maintained per manufacturers recommendations.

As with any RV, it's the experience of using the rig that makes it fun. If you're so preoccupied with the potential of a mechanical failure then perhaps a change to the dark side of RVing (trailers) should be in your future. We have fun!
Old 04-02-2009, 08:44 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for the replies.

007, Our family has had more memories in the RV than any other type of trip we have taken. I think I always own at least a tent. If and when I have problems I will put a smile on my face and keep going.

I just wonder if I would regret stepping over to a trailer.
RottenRalph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:21 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you can do it Scott give it a try. I have owned 7 TT's, in the process of fixing up a pop-up we will be pulling to Ohio got holes from tree limbs from ice storm this winter, also in over 40 years of RVing just do not get caught up with the simple problems you could have and just smile fix it and move on.
If you need help plenty of members here to help.
AND do not think of being on the other side as Hitch said, if I was younger would love to start out all over again in a nice big 5th wheel I have seen.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 12:17 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Scott, I seriously doubt you will have any less stress/problems with a 5er. We go with MH, Trailers, 5er's on alot of trips, can't really say who has any more problems than the other. WH parts are much easier to get now with more vendors getting their part numbers cross referenced etc. Brakes on the WH, some more problematic than others, but very fixable with good maintenance. Tires are just a necessity regardless of what you tow or drive. Extreme wires with Kevlar insulators would solve your wire burning issues. You have a high rated coach, and if it were me, I would get the brakes fixed up, tires, possibly changes the springs on your jacks with updated springs from HWH. 4ways should be easy to trace the problem out. If you were close to me, I would help you in a heartbeat. Hang in there with whatever you choose.
Old 04-04-2009, 12:16 PM   #9

Personal opinion: I would not make my decision based on mechanical issues. They can and will appear with any configuration. I would decide which configuration (MH, TT or 5r) best fits how I want to travel/have the RV'ing experience. Having made that decision, then look at the attributes of the choices WITHIN that confirguration. That is when mechanical issues can be put into the mix.

I decided that I like a smaller, rear engined MH. Having made that decision, my choices are all older MH's as they havn't made what I want to have my RV'ing experience in for the last 20-30 years. Yes, I deal with mechanical issues but I also have the traveling experience I like.

There is no right or wrong, better or worse, just different preferences.

BigRabbitMan
1976 FMC
BigRabbitMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 05:06 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Scott;
My Allegro W-20 is a 2004 and nearly the same in all regards as your rig and we have had lots of problems....brakes, instrument cluster, burned number 5 and 7 plugs and the worse of all, a burned up Allison tranny. Very disheartening to be certain. I have learned to properly maintain the brakes (????), have cold air directed at the plugs on both sides, installed Taylor wires and I ignore the instrument cluster when it has an incident. Just replaced the tires to the tune of $2450.00. But, we're heading to Alaska in May, so it is necessary expenditures.

A couple of weeks ago when I came real close to trading in for a towable, I called a dealer about the value of my coach. It was worth so much less than the payoff that a trade was and is out of the question. So, we deal with the Workhorse chassis and keep it maintained the best possible way. We're keeping a list of part numbers thanks to Oemy, just in case.

There have been few trips that we've taken that have not had a problem or two, but parking the rig is no option, so I hope for the best and head on down the road to new and exciting adventures. Over the years, we've had three TT's, a class C on a Ford chassis and, for the last 6 years our Allegro 32BA W-20. I got to say that the class C was the best one of all, bar none!

Bob
CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 06:15 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Scott, I'm sorry to hear of your problems and understand how frustrated you must be with your rig. Before you jump to a towable though give thought as to how you use the rig. If you drive someplace, set up and tour from there a towable may be right for you. If you like to take others with you it may be uncomfortable if not impossible to take everyone in your tow vehicle. I travel alone but when I do have others with me enjoying their company comfortably as we travel is part of the fun of the trip.

I've been RVing for over 30 years and enjoy the comfort of driving the motorhome now. I bought my first one in 1999 because, as a widow, I wanted to go full time and thought a MH would be a safer way to travel (no one knows I'm in here alone). I bought a DP in 2007. I've never had a problem that caused a delay with my MHs. I did have a blowout a few years back but was with a group and had the tire changed in no time. I've never had to use my road service. My gas coach was a Winnie on a Ford chassie and this on is on a Freightliner.

Why do I tell you all of this? To encourage you not to lump all MHs into one group because of the problems you've had. And don't worry about problems you may or may not have. Go out and enjoy your coach and like another post said stay on top of maintenance or look at all options and buy another that will fit your camping style.

I wish you the best with whatever you choose. Keep us posted.

Numbers 6:24-26
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote