Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2011, 10:09 AM   #29

Ottffs, we stay in town at Mammoth Mountain RV park. The park is only game in town so they get away with draconian polices, i.e pay when reserve and no refunds, no use of electric heaters even though you pay for electric, etc. When really cold, power sometimes kicks off during the night and they refuse to fix it until morning. Icky., but that's what happens when no competition.

There are a couple of places at Stump Alley and Canyon Lodge where you can park during the day if you get there very early. No overnite. At main lodge they will park you in bus lot, but spendy. We usually tow our jeep so leave bus in the park during the day. The shuttle stop is a long walk from the park if you are carrying your equipment.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2011, 11:42 AM   #30

y'all are starting to worry me re finding a place to boondock. don't want to have to drive 20 miles every day just to find an out of the way place I can stop. It occurs to me there should be a co-op of RV owners who will offer a place to park and shore power for $10 a night (I'd say free/reciprocal but that is bound to end up very lopsided).

Old 12-04-2011, 02:56 PM   #31

Instead of staying In mammoth use Bishop. They have 2 full hook up campgrounds and 45 minute drive to mountain. Will not have to worry about getting snowed in or draconian prices. Dining not nearly as good as mammoth but you are in an rev cooking your meals
Old 12-04-2011, 07:07 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by frEEk View Post
y'all are starting to worry me re finding a place to boondock. don't want to have to drive 20 miles......
freek - that's why I am so curious to follow your adventures.... You are going to blaze some new ground - and have a blast in the process!

The mom&pop hills might not be much of a problem but the "resort" type towns might pose a close in boondocking challenge! Stealth camping a class B is one thing, but our big boys are a little obvious, even in the industrial parts of these towns... So I am wide eyed for your blog and give you my best!

I knew about the Mammoth thing, scoped out Big Sky last year with mixed results, decided Showdown might allow in the parking lot (but didn't get a chance to ask George if he'd allow it) and am guessing that Antelope Butte would allow in their paring lot as well. On the right coast Snowshoe would be very tough and Winterplace has Camp Creek state park nearby which stays open but unserviced in the winter.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:23 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by refncpa View Post
Instead of staying In mammoth use Bishop. ...
It's the too far to drive every day to nab first chair thing... It also gets in the way of the morning bean burrito when you have to top off the gas tank every day...

BUT, Bishop does have one claim to fame and that is Brit's Diesel - the only diesel game for a couple hundred miles in any direction - and (fortunately) his tiny 1 stall shop not even big enough for an RV is very good. Barfed my turbo out the exhaust pipe (literally) up in Mammoth Lakes and had it low-boy'ed to Brit's who took care of it on Cummins' nickel. Good thing for the 5 year engine warranty!
Old 12-04-2011, 09:06 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottffss

It's the too far to drive every day to nab first chair thing... It also gets in the way of the morning bean burrito when you have to top off the gas tank every day...

BUT, Bishop does have one claim to fame and that is Brit's Diesel - the only diesel game for a couple hundred miles in any direction - and (fortunately) his tiny 1 stall shop not even big enough for an RV is very good. Barfed my turbo out the exhaust pipe (literally) up in Mammoth Lakes and had it low-boy'ed to Brit's who took care of it on Cummins' nickel. Good thing for the 5 year engine warranty!
Brit lives next door. Has serviced all 3 of my motorhomes. Dropped off my allegro bus this morning for annual service. He does ALL the big rigs

Tags
tires