Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2007, 04:50 PM   #1

OK you all can see what coach I have.

My question is are there any coaches out there for under 250K that are dependable, or are they like the old snowmobiles, you ride them and fix them, then fix them again and then maybe ride them?

Everytime we use this coach something goes wrong with it, very first time the leveling system blew a line (which still does not work properly) the dash air went out, the roof air condintioners kept freezing up.

Since then the refridgerator had issues and has them again while on this trip to Yellowstone. The rear seal blew on the axel, the dash air is freezing up and not working, it sounds like the AC compressor is going to blow, the side cameras have intermittent working problems. The transmission seems like it sure doesnt like to climb hills.

Is this typical?

Someone please tell me that I can find a coach for under 250K that I can use without worrying what is going to go wrong with it the next time I drive it.

Maggie (Siberian)
JJ Simba05 FLSTCI02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2007, 04:50 PM   #2

OK you all can see what coach I have.

My question is are there any coaches out there for under 250K that are dependable, or are they like the old snowmobiles, you ride them and fix them, then fix them again and then maybe ride them?

Everytime we use this coach something goes wrong with it, very first time the leveling system blew a line (which still does not work properly) the dash air went out, the roof air condintioners kept freezing up.

Since then the refridgerator had issues and has them again while on this trip to Yellowstone. The rear seal blew on the axel, the dash air is freezing up and not working, it sounds like the AC compressor is going to blow, the side cameras have intermittent working problems. The transmission seems like it sure doesnt like to climb hills.

Is this typical?

Someone please tell me that I can find a coach for under 250K that I can use without worrying what is going to go wrong with it the next time I drive it.

Maggie (Siberian)
JJ Simba05 FLSTCI02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 05:37 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Unfortunately, there is no guarantee that any manufacturer's coach will be problem free.

You can get a new Dutch Star for under $250K, and I believe it's one of the best.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 06:21 PM   #4

It certainly is not typical. I'm sorry to read of your problems.

If you're willing to buy a pre-owned coach then you can find a huge selection to choose from.

I'd recommend you consider a pre-owned Newmar or Tiffin product. Both are well built by privately held family owned companies.

Newmar is in Napanee, Indianna and Tiffin is in Red Bay, Alabama.

Popular models for Tiffin are the Allegro Bus and Phaeton. For Newmar, the Dutch Star (my coach) and Mountain Aire are probably the most popular.

In '03 we found a '98 Dutch Star with 54k miles and a floor plan we really liked. It was 5 years old and very well cared for. I figured that anything that would go wrong had been fixed under warrenty during the first 3 years.

I was right as we now have 80K+ miles on it and we have lived in it fulltime since April of '06.

Yes, there have been minor repairs. But, they were parts that after 7 years or so just wear out. Nothing major. I service the engine and chassis every 6,000 miles or once per year, which ever comes first.

Star looking around. Start with Newmar and Tiffin. You'll likely be happy with either.

Fulltimers! - Currently in Gainesville, FL - working as Webmaster & Special Projects Manager
Digital Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 04:07 PM   #5
paz

I agree with Digital Boy about Newmar and Tiffin being good coaches. We have a Tiffin Allegro Bay gasser and have had very few problems.

I don't know about the Newmar diesels, but all Phaeton diesels except the 42 foot with tag axle list for well under $250k NEW. Of all diesel coaches, the Phaeton was the number 1 selling diesel last year.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 05:12 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Both Newmar and Tiffin are great choices. Any RV will need the occaisional service work but I've had two Allegro Busses so far and had minimal service work required. I'm very happy and the only way I feel I could improve on quality/reliability/service would be to go to a Marathon Coach or other Prevost based conversion unit.

2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote