Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2014, 09:12 AM   #1

good gas stop on highway 63 in Iowa

hi
does anyone know a good gas stop on this highway between Des Moines and Hannibal Missouri for a class a big rig towing a car? prefer a large gas station with room to maneuver the rig and gas pumps parallel to the highway.
Thanks,
Jim
seadogjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2014, 10:15 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
GasBuddy.com - Find Low Gas Prices in the USA and Canada is your friend.
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 11:46 AM   #3

I also use gasbuddy.com on a smartphone. You can look ahead to see where it may be more favorable to buy gas depending on how far you can drive with what you have. You select the map function, zoom in or out, and can select regular, mid grade, premium, or diesel. Then drive to that exit or the next state where gas taxes might be less. Can consistently save .05 to .10 cents a gallon by maybe going a couple of blocks off the main road. Logging these prices is all done by users, so only as correct as what someone entered and usually not more than 3 days old. You can register and confirm or load the prices yourself. HOWEVER, I haven't been able to find a function on gasbuddy.com that shows you whether it is a large or small station which may make it sutible or not sutible for a large motorhome. If you click on a station and scroll down, sometimes a picture of the station is shown which may help you determine if it'll work for you or not.
Milehghcty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 11:53 AM   #4

Sorry, one more thing to answer your question. Looking at gasbuddy.com there is a station at Murphy USA at Oskaloosa that has midgrade for 3.189 and diesel at 3.559 (reported 4 hours ago). Looking at the picture of the station, it appears your should be able to get in and out of the station. That is just my opinion from looking at a picture.
Milehghcty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 12:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by seadogjim View Post
hi
does anyone know a good gas stop on this highway between Des Moines and Hannibal Missouri for a class a big rig towing a car? prefer a large gas station with room to maneuver the rig and gas pumps parallel to the highway.
Thanks,
Jim
If you mean Highway 61 down to Hannibal, we stop at the Flying J at Wayland, Missouri. It has the separate RV-only pumps to the left after entering. Pretty easy in and out.

Highway 61 is four lane so we take it rather than 63. We go east from Ottumwa to Mt. Pleasant where we pick up highway 63 south.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Flying J, Wayland, Mo.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	73724  
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 04:46 PM   #6

thanks for all the replies. Will be leaving Sioux City and taking the interstates down to Des Moines. At Des Moines, stwill be on highway 163 down to Oskaloosa and 63 down to Ottumwa . From there it'll be highway 34 over to Mount Pleasant and then Highway 218 down to connect with highway 61 in Missouri.
I'm aware of the Flying J at Wayland Missouri but I'm not sure we can make it that far. need a good gas stop on highway 163, 63 or 34 in Iowa in order to make it down to our destination near St Louis, Missouri. I would prefer a personal recommendation of someone who's used a good gas station for a class A rather than depend on a picture from Gas Buddy.
Thanks again to all.

Jim
Old 09-13-2014, 08:45 PM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tprochaz View Post
Sorry, one more thing to answer your question. Looking at gasbuddy.com there is a station at Murphy USA at Oskaloosa that has midgrade for 3.189 and diesel at 3.559 (reported 4 hours ago). Looking at the picture of the station, it appears your should be able to get in and out of the station. That is just my opinion from looking at a picture.

I have personally pulled my 39' MH into the Murphy's in Oskaloosa towing a CRV with no problem from the north and the south.

Alan Wilson

2001 HR Scepter 38 PBD
Old 09-13-2014, 09:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by seadogjim View Post
thanks for all the replies. Will be leaving Sioux City and taking the interstates down to Des Moines. At Des Moines, stwill be on highway 163 down to Oskaloosa and 63 down to Ottumwa . From there it'll be highway 34 over to Mount Pleasant and then Highway 218 down to connect with highway 61 in Missouri.
I'm aware of the Flying J at Wayland Missouri but I'm not sure we can make it that far. need a good gas stop on highway 163, 63 or 34 in Iowa in order to make it down to our destination near St Louis, Missouri. I would prefer a personal recommendation of someone who's used a good gas station for a class A rather than depend on a picture from Gas Buddy.
Thanks again to all.

Jim
I would second Alan Wilson's recommendation. I had forgotten about WalMart's Murphy's at Oskaloosa. It's just east of the junction of Highway 163 and 92. I have stopped there at the gas station and it should be an easy in and out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Murphy's at Oskaloosa.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	165.6 KB
ID:	73787  
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 07:12 AM   #9

thanks guys I'll give Murphy's at Walmart in Oscaloosa. a try. Appreciate the advice.

Jim
Old 09-14-2014, 05:30 PM   #10

You ask about a gas station for your big rig, I thought big rigs run on diesel ?
2NewRVers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas