Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-16-2013, 01:30 PM   #1
Good Sam

I'm just woundering about this Good Sam Roadside Assistance , they sent
me a letter of some special offers from one to three yr's . How many have ever had to use this ? Do you think it's worth the money, I'm not a full timer RV yet I only go in the spring and summer like a lot of folkes I guess.
although there's protection for your Household vehicles too. and guess if you have a flat out and bout it's good.. any good advise out there on this.

bjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2013, 01:49 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I have their roadside assistance and find it better than the BCAA (part of AAA) that left us in the lurch when we had a flat on our travel trailer. In the last five years Good Sam came to our rescue without a qualm when we had serious problems. For the reassurance it gives DW it would be cheap at twice the price.

Your mileage may vary but they do offer good value for the money spent in my estimation.

Denise and Dennis Dalla-Vicenza Co-pilot Mizzie
Gracie a Winnebago 29 RQ +
George a Suzuki Toad
(Co-pilots emeritus Furb, Izzy & Mikkael)
Cherry Creek British Columbia
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:50 PM   #3
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It works. Go to The Open Roads forum and check it out. If your vehicle has a mounted spare, it is all free. No spare and they will buy you one and you pay. Not sure how un-mounted spare would work. Maybe some labor charge extra.
2003 Dolphin LX 6355 w/ W22 chassis; 8.1L gasser & Allison 1000
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:57 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
It works. Go to The Open Roads forum and check it out. If your vehicle has a mounted spare, it is all free. No spare and they will buy you one and you pay. Not sure how un-mounted spare would work. Maybe some labor charge extra.
Yes, unmounted spare incurs a labor charge - $130.00 for my motorhome. Not unreasonable, IMO.

Anyone know how Coach-Net handles unmounted spare?
Vince and Susan
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH (Cummins ISC/Freightliner)
Flat towing a modified 2005 Jeep (Rubicon Wrangler)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:50 PM   #5
Scooter... I can't find the "OPEN ROAD Forum... Is It in the RV2 site..
bjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:04 PM   #6
We had Good Sam and found it to be less than we wanted and switched to Coach Net. Others experience may differ. IMO, I think a road service is among the most important services to have for your vehicles when on the road. Trying to find service or a wrecker in an unfamiliar area is not an experience that I want to relive. Good luck with your choice.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:10 PM   #7
Texas Boomers Club
Have had GS Roadside assist for years, have used it several times, well worth the money.
1998 Holiday Rambler Imperial
2004 Jeep Cherokee
kben39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:14 PM   #8
iRV2 No Limits Club
We've had Coach Net for years. Did have a problem with them in Phoenix at the Good Sam rally last year. Took them so long to get there and they were sending a wrong truck that I canceled and paid another provider.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:17 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
When you have a break down and are left along the road it sure is nice to have a number to call and the person will help get you help. Well worth $80.00 per year to me. Haven't had to make the call yet, knock-knock. My only and road side break down left me to deal with it myself, it took quite a bit before I could even think of what I had to do.........Took time for my brain to kick in...... never again.
2000 Newmar MADP 4060, 350ISC, Spartan MM, IFS 2011 Jeep JK, M&G Braking, 2014 MTI 27' Hog Hauler, Wireless brake control, 2006Ultra & 1989 Springer
palehorse89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:43 PM   #10
bjo, try this link to RV.Net RV and Camping Forum ? RV, Trailer, Camper, Motorhome, Camping and Campground Information.

I have had Coach-Net for years and used them a couple of times. The Good Sam coverage is also a good one. Either will serve your needs well. We happen to prefer Coach-Net and feel there are marginally more services available through them. Both are competively priced with each other. Good Sam requires that you be a member of Good Sam, Coach-Net offers discounts if you are a member of FMCA.
Tom and Barb
'07 Winnebago Voyage 35L
Workhorse W22 chassis FMCA 219315
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:20 PM   #11
I have it and shortly after setting out on our first big trip i needed to use the service. They had to send me someone that wasn't on their approved vendor list in order to get someone that was available at the time i needed them. After they showed up and made the repair the repair company tried to charge me for the service call which Good Sam paid them by credit card over the phone. Even though the repair company wasn't an approved vendor they fought the company for me to get my money back for that portion. Ended up saving me a ton of money which they didn't have to do all of that,they could have just said they paid their portion and its up to me to fight it out with the facility . Plus it works for your other vehicles much like AAA and any vehicle your in even if its not yours. I like it and would recommend it.
km17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:46 PM   #12
Workhorse Chassis Owner
bjo: Try RV
2003 Dolphin LX 6355 w/ W22 chassis; 8.1L gasser & Allison 1000
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:00 PM   #13
Winnebago Owners Club
As many have stated it is something you should have if you are on the road in an RV. I have had Good Sam for about 10 years and used them 4 or 5 times, always good service. There is always a chance you will be in a spot where no service can get to you quickly but the test is do they keep trying and not leave you stranded. I believe Coach Net and Good Sam will stay with you.
"Life is a Journey. Enjoy the Ride"
2004 Winnebago Journey 39K w/ 330 Cummins on a Workhorse Chasis (rare but no problems yet).
slick60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:17 PM   #14
We have the Good Sams Platinum. We've used them twice for the RV and once for our car. Excellent service all three times.

We've also called the technical help hotline when something didn't work, we had a question how something should work or we had technical questions. We have always gotten excellent help from a technician. They will also help you troubleshoot mechanical repairs prior to taking something in. It's nice to chat with a knowledgeable person who will walk you through what you should be looking for.

I highly recommend you have one of the two big roadside service providers before you drive one mile from home.

Proud owner of 1994 Winnebago Brave 29RQ.
Chevy 454 on a P30 chassis.
micd is offline   Reply With Quote