Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2017, 04:44 AM   #85

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachStreamr View Post
Seems like we can't get full coverage for our 1996 thru NG

"Comprehensive or Collision is not allowed on any vehicle with a model year over 20 years old."

What other insurance companies are owners using with coaches over 20 years old? Seems Progressive will do full coverage.

We have all state on our 1995 ...
Safe-T-Plus
Pa Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2017, 05:20 PM   #86

Just filed a claim for two broken winshield. NG referred me to Duncan Systems who handles their glass claims. I talked with them and told them who I wanted to do the glass R&R. No problem. Just email them photos of the damage and the existing glass ID info. My repair shop called this morning and said they have talked with Duncan and the glass should be delivered in the next week.
Couldn't have been easier and im glad I have full glass coverage!
Stevie3508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 08:14 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruizer41 View Post
National General is TERRIBLE on claim. WE ARE CHANGING INSURANCE! Anyone know a good one?

Just noticed that you just joined IRV2 yesterday and this is your only post. Kind of odd.
Old 08-16-2017, 10:28 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa Miller View Post
We have all state on our 1995 ...
I wanted to followup with this. I thought NG was the way to go for our Coach, I had gotten quotes but they were for 1998+ Coaches. Quotes were ~$1000-~1250 a year.

We landed up buying a 1996 Gulf Stream DP and found out NG would not do full coverage on a 20+ year old coach. Then, found out our car insurance (Essurance) didn't even have RV insurance, anywhere. Our Home Owners (Nationwide) at first gave a quote then found out Nationwide won't insure a RV over 34" feet. I got nervous, did I make a mistake on such an old Coach?

I had also got a quote from FMCA and and a few looks noticed it was a Nationwide Company Quote. Called my local Nationwide Agent (with Home Owner's Policy) asking WTF essentially.

Called FMCA Agent to see what is going on, they are a Nationwide Agent and right off the bat could explain the Allied/Amco situation and Nationwide taking over. The FMCA Agency is the only Agency that can do this, available in most States but not all States.

Found out that Nationwide bought the Insurance Company associated with the FMCA Membership (Allied / Amco?), all we had to do was join FMCA ($50 with coupon) and go through their Agent and walla, full RV coverage for our Coach at less than $600 a year with high liability (150 days usage) and with all the options, Home Owners Insurance (already Nationwide) and car (2 cars) Insurance (we changed from Essurance to Nationwide while adding the RV, changed car insurance thru local agent and added RV thru FMCA agent) went down $250 a year (was ~$1100), car insurance was the same ($500 for 6 months, 2 cars, 2 drivers) but we got more liability and lower deductible with this Nationwide deal (we do have two Nationwide agents, local and the FMCA one) but it all worked out this year

Our local Nationwide agent could not insure our 36' RV with Nationwide nor did she know about the FMCA affiliation. She does now. Nationwide takes all in account and discounts appropriately.
1995 36' Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser (Model #8360) on 1995 Spartan EC-2442 Chassis w/Granning Air Ride | Cummins B5.9L 12V 230hp | Allison MD3060 6-Speed WTEC II
CoachStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 06:30 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruizer41 View Post
National General is TERRIBLE on claim. WE ARE CHANGING INSURANCE! Anyone know a good one?
Consider The Hartford thru AARP. Good rates, we've had two claims in two years, one for glass replacement (free in KY with no deductible) and one when our awning deployed at 60 mph on I-90 in Montana . . . . Handled both without a blink, awning replacement along with associated quote for paint damage was $13k +. I would highly recommend. Just sign up for AARP and opt out of ALL mailings/sharing BEFORE signing up for The Hartford, don't ask me why I know this . . . .
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 07:52 AM   #90

Alpine Owners Club
Foretravel Owners Club
To CoachStreamr - I wish we had your good fortune. We switched from FMCA (Nationwide) because the premiums on our 2017 40' DP went to $1750/yr - with no record of claims. Good Sam (NG) knocked 40% off of that (not counting storage option). The reason I was given by Nationwide - "they are no longer writing new policys on coaches over 36'". If true that sucks. Do not know for sure, but being in Florida may also affect the rates.
Old 08-17-2017, 08:09 AM   #91

@bobkatgifts the FMCA agent did say there were a few states (where you garage the coach) they would not be able to do over 34'. Washington State is not one of them but I seem to remember something said about Florida.

We know the insurance rate game, had Hartford (AARP) for years with never a claim and then the Home Owner's rate really started going up until it was $2200. Got many quotes 3 years back and Nationwide was right in there around $940 (no other policy) and it's up to $1070 but now back down to lower $800 since RV and cars.

Will have to keep up each year and move the policies if need be.

I wanted to go with Amica but we have three owners (named insured) on the house, they can only do 2 max for some reason.

Found out something else odd with Nationwide (FMCA) though, we have a PO Box for mailing (for everything including car insurance bills) in the same city as the house, the Coach rate was higher until they removed the PO Box and just had the house address in there (Garaging location). For some reason their system was thinking we were not garaging it at our house so that rate was higher. ODD

If the Coach is parked at your house where you live, they assume you can get it out of harm's way quickly if needed and you can keep an eye on it.
1995 36' Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser (Model #8360) on 1995 Spartan EC-2442 Chassis w/Granning Air Ride | Cummins B5.9L 12V 230hp | Allison MD3060 6-Speed WTEC II
Old 08-17-2017, 08:21 AM   #92

Does anyone know if there other Insurance companies not doing full coverage on 20+ year old Coaches like NG?
Old 08-17-2017, 02:36 PM   #93

Damon Owners Club
State Farm Ins

Had a heart to heart conversation with my agent. They do cover motor coaches in Canada. Rates were comparable to FMCA so I have renewed.
ALF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 08:49 AM   #94

Good Sam not worth it

Personally, I do not believe Good Sam is worth it. I got a quote from them just for my rig (2005 Fleetwood Flair) and they were double the price of my current car insurance through Geico. I currently have 3 cars ( 2014 Veloster, 2014 Impala, 2015 Traverse, and 2005 Fleetwood Flair) all full coverage, roadside assistance, extended stay coverage and more) $324 per month. Had several claims never went up. The Recent claim was a full blowout both rear tires, replaced and covered to include electrical damage and body work. No issues with Geico.
clark332001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 11:45 AM   #95

Monaco Owners Club
Just remember it depends on your state you are in. When we first got our coach last year, I was in the process of closing on my house. But it needed insurance and my cars were farmers. Farmers doesn't do fulltimers. So we moved to National General. When we changed our address to South Dakota PMB. And went to change my address with National General, they said do we spend at least 4 months in Nevada, we said yes, we spend winter there. They said good. We can use your PMB as mailing address but the Campground we stay at every year is our address. Cause my insurance would have gone up $400.00 a year if I said I wanted to use South Dakota as my mailing and fulltime living address. South Dakota for National General was more money thank Nevada. So that helped alot. But the moral to the story is....every state is a different rate, even with the same insurance company if they cover more than one state.
Old 08-20-2017, 05:20 AM   #96

It might even be finer than that. I live in one town and store the coach in another town indoors in a secure facility with video surveillance and other security features. National General charged me a higher rate during the winter months because of the town my coach was stored in.
vettenuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 08:38 AM   #97

I live in northern Nevada. Just changed over to National General starting September. Had Progressive, to renew was $1600. Price quoted Geico, $2000. National General was $900 and got a lower deductible on comprehensive otherwise everything else is the same. Reading this thread, different ones find different companies are better rates. So I guess it depends on where you live, idk? Never could figure out these insurance companies. I just price quote each year. Btw, did ask if I'm insured for Canada and yes I am. Planning on going to Alaska next year so that's good [emoji4].
Vacationfools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 08:50 AM   #98

Also forgot to add, if you look at the breakdown of the charges you'll see the major portion of the premiums is for the deductibles, the higher the deductibles the less the premiums.The insurance rep. told me during the stored months to change my deductible on collision to a higher amount as it's just sitting and they would refund me, then when I get ready to use it next call back and lower it and they would bill me for the extra. Not sure how practical that would be but worth checking into I guess. In Nevada I cannot put my MH in "stored insurance only" if I want to keep it licensed [emoji849].
Vacationfools is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance, national