Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-25-2015, 02:01 PM   #1
Good Sam coverage

The Good Sam extended service plan says, if I understand it correctly, that GS will pay for parts that fail but not for parts that are damaged by the failing part. So let's suppose that the 8.1L GM/Workhorse engine in my Bounder drops a valve - breaks off the head of an intake or exhaust valve - and that results in the cylinder head being ruined, a hole in the piston, and maybe a bent connecting rod and even a damaged crankshaft. Is Good Sam going to buy me a valve and I pay for the rest?

BluBounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2015, 02:22 PM   #2
Monaco Owners Club
Probably. Find a plan that covers consequential damage. I think that's the right type!

Jerry, "EWC (SW)" USN Retired
2003 Beaver Patriot Thunder 505 HP C-12 1550 TQ
Allison 4000MH Ram 4X4 towed
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 03:11 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Could be, but I suspect in that case they would cover all the direct damages (they are all "covered parts" and they failed essentially together in one big ka-bang). The more likely problem case is that some minor part fails, maybe a water pump. You don't notice and shut down in time, so the engine overheats and seizes up. You get a new water pump from GS and are on your own for the engine damage. That's what they intent of that clause is. Now whether it always gets interpreted that way is another story. That's why consequential damage coverage is so valuable - it removes most of that "interpretation" vagueness.
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2013 Buick Verano
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 09:36 AM   #4
The GS is a waste of money. It's very limited. There are many better plans. Be sure to get "consequential damage" coverage. I had a fan bracket on the ISB break. That took out the fan clutch, the fan blade, the belt and a few other things. My Cornerstone policy paid for them all. I don't think Good Sam would have paid any of it.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 09:51 AM   #5
American Coach Owners Club
I just looked at my Good Sam policy I bought when the coach was new. Mine has Consequential Loss Coverage included as an option. In another thread, I saw a poster that said to make sure you have O rings and gaskets/seals coverage....but I see nowhere in my policy that excludes those items!
2014 American Coach Eagle
Tytlfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 10:13 AM   #6
Send a message via Skype™ to Diceman1036
You better call Good Sam and if you don't have seals and gaskets you should get that coverage. Most of the moving parts in your RV have seals and gaskets.
Diceman1036 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 11:33 AM   #7
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have good sam. They have paid with no problem for everything that is covered. In my policy that is everything that was on the coach that was installed by the manufacturer. I had to pay for a wiring problem because the dealer installed a receptacle for the chassis battery charger. Same way with my Power Monitor those were installed after the unit left the factory. Everything else they have paid for with no problems. Including the remote controlled search lite that Tiffin put on its coaches.
2005 Allegro Bus 38DP
2012 Enclave tow vehicle
No Dogs, No cats.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 01:04 PM   #8
A rep from Good Sam called me today to explain the ESP policy. He says that there are "covered parts" and "non-covered" parts (as described in the policy). If a covered part fails it is paid for by the insurance. If the covered part damages other covered parts - as in my hypothetical example - all of the covered parts are paid for by the insurance. If a covered part damages a non-covered part, the non-covered part is not paid for, and if a non-covered part damages a covered part that is also not paid for (ex: a fan belt breaks and wraps itself around the alternator and damages the alternator). Sounds reasonable. He highly recommends the gasket and seal option which I already have.

BluBounder is offline   Reply With Quote