Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-22-2015, 09:43 PM   #1

Good Sam ESP experience

I thought I would throw out some numbers regarding my Good Sam Extended Warranty experience. I joined about 3 years ago. I have a 250.00 deductible. I pay 149.00 per month includes "seals and gasket" which is approx 15.00 per month .Last year I had a Pinion Gear seal that was leaking. I paid the deductible and GS paid the $90.00 balance.

This month Dometic Convection/Microwave started flashing the fatal "F5" code not repairable per Dometic. Cost for a new one $995.00. GS said they would pay $488.00 towards repair but would not replace it! Xantrex 2000 watt inverter issue cost$1250.00 GS will pay the full cost to replace it. Dometic refrigerator door gasket $325.00 just the gasket on the fridge door. GS will not pay it they said the door assembly is not covered which includes the gasket. I can get a new GE profile Convection/Microwave at Lowes for $500.00 and install it myself. I will have GS replace the Inverter and pay my $250.00 deductible and 26.00 for a freight charge. GS only pays up to $50.00 for freight. I will also pay a small about for "extra shop fees" I believe around 50.00. I suppose sale tax will also be part of the bill so I will pay around $375.00 for the Inverter.
I just put this out for an example of what to expect. I may look for another policy for a powertrain only policy which is my primary concern.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2015, 07:45 AM   #2

Your $149 / month payment cost $5364 for the 3 years you have had the ESP product.

This illustrates that there are three kinds of RV owners:

1. Those with extended service plans, are pleased with the product, and have examples of savings

2. Those with extended service plans who are not pleased with the product and/or service, and have paid more than they received for repairs

3. Those who will never buy such a product, don't have the additional expense, or put the premium cost into a savings account in case something might go wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsupersonic View Post
I thought I would throw out some numbers regarding my Good Sam Extended Warranty experience. I joined about 3 years ago. I have a 250.00 deductible. I pay 149.00 per month includes "seals and gasket" which is approx 15.00 per month .Last year I had a Pinion Gear seal that was leaking. I paid the deductible and GS paid the $90.00 balance.

This month Dometic Convection/Microwave started flashing the fatal "F5" code not repairable per Dometic. Cost for a new one $995.00. GS said they would pay $488.00 towards repair but would not replace it! Xantrex 2000 watt inverter issue cost$1250.00 GS will pay the full cost to replace it. Dometic refrigerator door gasket $325.00 just the gasket on the fridge door. GS will not pay it they said the door assembly is not covered which includes the gasket. I can get a new GE profile Convection/Microwave at Lowes for $500.00 and install it myself. I will have GS replace the Inverter and pay my $250.00 deductible and 26.00 for a freight charge. GS only pays up to $50.00 for freight. I will also pay a small about for "extra shop fees" I believe around 50.00. I suppose sale tax will also be part of the bill so I will pay around $375.00 for the Inverter.
I just put this out for an example of what to expect. I may look for another policy for a powertrain only policy which is my primary concern.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 08:42 AM   #3

[QUOTE=George Schweikle;2872038]Your $149 / month payment cost $5364 for the 3 years you have had the ESP product.

This illustrates that there are three kinds of RV owners:

1. Those with extended service plans, are pleased with the product, and have examples of savings

2. Those with extended service plans who are not pleased with the product and/or service, and have paid more than they received for repairs

3. Those who will never buy such a product, don't have the additional expense, or put the premium cost into a savings account in case something might go wrong. [/QUOT

I think I will be moving to number 3
Old 12-23-2015, 08:50 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Number 3 would be me.
Old 12-23-2015, 10:07 AM   #5

Number three is all well and good if you already have enough money set aside to handle a catastrophic breakdown. If not, a $30K engine for a diesel would certainly grab your attention.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 08:57 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
I wrote a article about extended warranties in my blog with real life examples of my experiance. I will never buy another extended warranty for a RV.
Mel
Here is the link. Click Here
Old 12-25-2015, 12:58 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Well I am definitely in 3 I have seen to many claims denied.
Ramets, how many engine failures have you heard of compared to how many coaches are out there?
Hear is my Convection/Microwave story. I found an exact replacement on line at Home Depot and shipping was free. I think it was $465.00 I installed it in about 30 minuets. That and a icemaker valve are the only non elective things I have done to my coach.
Merry Christmas and a safe and Happy New Year!
Bill

WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 09:33 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
I am having a problem with GS, my generator started missing, authorized service place said the pump was bad, called GS and sent estimate to change diesel pump. approved the exchange. When the work was finished they asked for the service records, I sent them the records I had fuel filters and such. They wanted the service for the engine, the generator has 195 hours on it, when I took it into service it had 189. They are denying the claim now because I missed one year changing the oil in the engine. The fuel filters have been changed per service but one year I missed the oil change, the factory has 150 hour on engine oil and a foot note says change every year. I ask why the engine oil would have anything to do with the fuel pump an they told me that the engine oil lubricated the diesel pump and the injectors per Cummings. The generator has a Kubota engine which specs call for oil at 50 hours, then at 200 hours. I cannot find anything online that states the engine oil has anything to do with the pump or the injectors. I had a claim for an evaporator coil last year and after two weeks they finally paid about half of the cost, I just found out yesterday about the denial, I know they work out sometime but very seldom do they pay enough. Just to be sure if you buy a used motorhome the very first statement on the exclusions is they will not cover prior problems, no service records on the years before ownership, would qualify for that.
Old 01-01-2016, 10:24 AM   #9

And GS strikes again. They have a good business plan, give us your money and we won't pay for anything. 😠
mccrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 11:23 AM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrob View Post
And GS strikes again. They have a good business plan, give us your money and we won't pay for anything. 😠
I agree 100 percent. My Lawyer told me a long time ago that these extended warranties have so many loop holes in the fine print, for the warranty seller to get out of paying. The selling dealer makes a lot of money selling these.
Mel
Old 01-01-2016, 11:35 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
It seems to me that these companies that have no integrity should be either closed or have a board that reviews some of these unfounded refusals. In my my case they are rejecting my claim because I did not change the oil in the engine which has nothing to do with the system that failed. I understand GS subs this coverage out but they sell it under the GS logo. You know the strange things about GS and Camping world, I asked about fixing the problem under warranty and unless something has changed they will not honor the insurance.
Old 01-01-2016, 12:35 PM   #12
NRF

Monaco Owners Club
That is a sad story for GS, which is a name we in the RV community had come to respect. Any happy GS warranty-holders care to chime in?
NRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 01:46 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
GS is always helping people with bad service or repair problems. I think I will write into magazine and test their metal and print. GS subs it our to the RV warranty mafia.
Old 01-01-2016, 04:53 PM   #14

GS is not the same GS that Art started too bad he had to die and the big corporation took over the name
mccrob is offline   Reply With Quote