Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2011, 12:00 AM   #15

National RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Barbara S.
I have Good Sam CSP. Every time I get ready to cancel it something happens and I need it. No, it hasn't covered everything, but so far it has been worth it. I got several items last year including a new AC unit. I can do NO repair work myself, so for me it is worth it.

Good Sam Charter Life member/FMCA/SI/Escapees/Thousand Trails
Barbara S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2011, 03:44 PM   #16

I purchased the Good Sam coverage last year when I bought my 10 yr old motorhome. This gave me peace of mind during that year. After purchasing the coverage, I started saving money to self insure. Remember, if you have any kind of repair, you are out $500.00 in deductable, if the repair cost $499.00, guess who is paying the bill. If you don't prove you have kept all preventative maintenance, guess who pays the bill. Now I am free and saving the monthly expense on top of what has already been saved.

Old 04-07-2011, 11:06 PM   #17

I'v e carried the GS warranty ever since I purchased my 2003 Fleetwood from the original owner in 2005. While I am sure I'm money behind ($975.00 annual premium) it has served me well. I had a $2,000 cooling unit for a 1200LRIM replaced and currently am having my Actia instrument cluster replaced. My deductible is $100.00 and with these items alone I'm getting close to breaking even and I did not have to endure th "unexpected" layout of thousands on an unexpected repair. I'm not normally the tyoe to buy an extended warranty however with the number of expensive systems on these coaches this is the one exception I've made....
Old 04-08-2011, 10:37 AM   #18

Ford Super Duty Owner
As service mgr. I was asked this a thousand times. My advise to the customer (out of earshot of the salesman and the dealerships owner) was never buy the policy. Take the money, put it in a special acct. never touch it. The next time the poicy comes due, add to the acct. Keep doing this and i guarntee you will come out way ahead. The reason the salesman and owner are so gung ho about these policys, is that they make money on them. The big secret is that if you dont have a claim in a certain period of time, they get a extra kickback. Thats why you get turned down so much.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:02 AM   #19

I just received a quote on my rig from GS$2,500/year for Gold package. I got a $100 deductible Totalcare from Easycare for less than that.
Old 04-10-2011, 06:59 AM   #20

I purchsed a warranty from Whole Sale Warranty , spoke to Jeff Shelton phone mumber 1-8-Protectrv. The policy HAD FAR better coverage than Good Sams, consquential damage coverage and wear and tear coverage ,bumper to bumper coverage unless specially excluded,such as rubber parts, trim , exterior body panels,shocks.Cost was $3389.00 4 yrs or 48,000 miles,$100.00 deduct per repair visit.

Jeff gave me the phone number of the claims department which is out of Newark, Ohio. I am a field adjuster for a large insurance company ,been in the business for 41 years. I spoke to the claims manager for about 15 minutes with questions on how claims are handled.I belive their claims practice is fair ,but as with all polices, READ your policy and FOLLOW the claims procedures process to the LETTER .

Good Sams only a yearly policy and a named peril only. I tried to speak to the calims dept and was treated NOT well.Good Sams sells their name. They will pay if the coverage is there. See my prior posting.
Old 04-11-2011, 04:07 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert T View Post
Good Sams only a yearly policy and a named peril only.
Sorry but on these two points you are incorrect. GS ESP offers multi-year policies (with a discount no less) Mine is a 3 year contract and guaranteed renewable thereafter. Also, its an exclusionary policy covering all systems and parts except those named. Also has a few additions for coverage of a few items they normally exclude such as seals and gaskets.

It was also FAR less than the price you quoted. For your price, I would never have purchased a warranty. Extreamly unlikely I would spend $3.5k in repairs in the first 4 years. Possible sure but very unlikely.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:29 AM   #22

The reason my policy was higher as I have a diesel coach, coverage also for electronics, road hazard for tires, consquential damages.I do not believe Good Sams offers consquential or road hazard coverage.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:27 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert T View Post
The reason my policy was higher as I have a diesel coach, coverage also for electronics, road hazard for tires, consquential damages.I do not believe Good Sams offers consquential or road hazard coverage.
Consquential no. Road hazards covered by state farm. Electronics that are installed part of coach are covered by GS.

True, diesel coaches are more expensive to repair.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:46 AM   #24

It is the wear and tear and consquential damage coverage that is the most important. Many policies will exclude repair or replacement of a covered part if the part has not completely failed. Wear and tear coverage will repair or replace a part if the part does not perform to OEM specs.

Consquential coverage will provide coverage to a covered part caused by a non covered part failure .Also a failure a of a covered part which causes damage to a non covered part, will cover the non covered part. As a field insurance adjuster I have seen these types of failures which I had issued a denial because the lack of consquential and or wear and tear coverage.

On my own coach I had a wheel bearing failure and destroyed the brake drum and spindle. The extended warranty paid for all except my $100.00 deductible,even though the drum was a non covered part. Some companies would only pay for the cause of the loss a wheel bearing not the consquential loss to the drum and spindle. Consquential coverage will cost approx $300.00 more for 4 years.

As to St Farm policy as to road hazard on tires, check your policy, many insurance companies will exclude loss that only involve damage to the tire only.

Extended warranties are good to have and I would not of repaired some items if I did not have the extended warranty.

I hope this helps others who are thinking of a purchase of a warranty , read the policy ,do not rely on what a sales person tells you, contact the claims manager and discuss how claims are handled.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:48 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
I had one for a year, had a couple of claims. They authorized "refurbished" replacement parts, and then I had to pay since my deductilble was not met. Take the monthly premium, put it in a savings account. You will get better service, better parts, and save money.

You did not ask, but I would add that Good Sams Emergency Road Coverage is worth every penny, and then some!
Old 04-14-2011, 11:18 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Service policies are a crapshoot. With the dice heavily loaded in favor of the company selling the policy. I generally don't buy them. Consumers Reports doesn't recommend them. The only major claim I had was storm damage to my awning, which was covered by my comp insurance. (Knock on wood). If you are not a DIY person and you need peace of mind, then go for it. Although I like the idea of putting the payments instead in the bank.

But I agree that the GS road service is a good plan. Never used it for the MH, but it came in handy 3 times for my toad and van at home.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 01:09 AM   #27

Mid Atlantic Campers
We have Good Sams Warranty. The problem we had was Orlando Freightliner telling us they followed procedure and asked used to approve work so they could expedite parts. After telling us we were denied coverage, we found that was not true, they actually did this intentionally. So do not allow any work until approval is confirmed. We would have been covered,if this work was actually needed. With parts being thrown out, along with fabrications we paid 4k for 4 things that were still not repaired. Good Sams was not the problem we had. It was Orlando Freightliner, Apopka Florida
Old 04-16-2011, 02:50 AM   #28

I have a new one on order and am trying to figure out if it for me. Ford has a 3 year 36,000 miles and Winnie is for 1 year. If I where buying a used one it might might be a good plan. This will be my first new motor home and I have till the end of the first year to get one. I just think for a new coach to get a 4 year plan when Ford covers most of the first 3 years would not be worth the 2,000 coast from my dealer for 4 years.