Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2011, 08:57 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Good Sam Extended Service Package

is it worth the money ?? comments please, there looks to be a ton of restrictions, and the premiums are not cheap.
Wayne-H is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2011, 10:00 AM   #2

I've answer others on this and haven't changed my opinion. I have always had an extended warranty, either from the dealer or from Good Sam and have always been disappointed with the coverage. Like you said, a lot of restrictions so read the fine print. I know, they always say you should and we usually don't, but I would in this case. I lost a radiator in AZ in '05 and it cost me $2000.00 out of pocket (I only had a $500 deductible), but because the thermostat caused the problem, they only allow for a new $6 thermostat. And I haven't heard of anyone saying 'Oh mine covers everything no question' cause there isn't one. And why do I keep the coverage? Cause one expensive covered item will replace 2 or 3 years of premium.

But the true travelers are they who leave for leaving’s sake
Saying continuously, without knowing why: ‘Let us go on’.
Paraphrased from Baudelaire’s ‘The Journey’
thelastplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 07:50 AM   #3

I'm in total agreement with Joe...I purchased an extended warranty from the dealer I bought my MH from, (paid for 4 yrs-40,000 mi) and twice have called upon them and twice have been turned down. Be carefull and not only check the exclusions portion of the contract, but pay attention to what it covers....if it doesn't say it will cover a certain item, it won't cover that item. For instance: I recently discovered standing water between the panes of one of my double paned windows. I checked with my dealer who checked with the insurance co (Interstate) and they denied the claim. Windows arent covered. Of the thousands of things that can break, wear out, fail, etc., very few are actually covered (at least with my underwriter). I have since checked out the GS policy and found it is pretty much the same.
jhs1881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 08:58 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
tks guys for your info, I was leaning towards a no, I do have the good same road side assist program which looks pretty good and the their insurance which looks good, allowing you to stop coverage when your rv is not in use.
Wayne-H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 05:29 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have saved thousands over the last 20 years years. I have never bought one of those. Too many things not covered.

I can fix most problems myself. Like I replaced a fan motor on a AC.
Parts cost me way less then a $500 deductible would.

Put the same amount of money the policy cost in the bank.
The odds is you will come out ahead.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 05:41 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
I have saved thousands over the last 20 years years. I have never bought one of those. Too many things not covered.

I can fix most problems myself. Like I replaced a fan motor on a AC.
Parts cost me way less then a $500 deductible would.

Put the same amount of money the policy cost in the bank.
The odds is you will come out ahead.
Agree with Triker56. I may regret it some day. But as long as I can do my own maintenance and know what kind of work goes into the repairs I think it will save mega bucks. I think most failures can be attributed to lack of good maintenance.

Dave
Old 03-28-2011, 07:38 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelastplace View Post
I've answer others on this and haven't changed my opinion. I have always had an extended warranty, either from the dealer or from Good Sam and have always been disappointed with the coverage. Like you said, a lot of restrictions so read the fine print. I know, they always say you should and we usually don't, but I would in this case. I lost a radiator in AZ in '05 and it cost me $2000.00 out of pocket (I only had a $500 deductible), but because the thermostat caused the problem, they only allow for a new $6 thermostat. And I haven't heard of anyone saying 'Oh mine covers everything no question' cause there isn't one. And why do I keep the coverage? Cause one expensive covered item will replace 2 or 3 years of premium.

But the true travelers are they who leave for leaving’s sake
Saying continuously, without knowing why: ‘Let us go on’.
Paraphrased from Baudelaire’s ‘The Journey’

pardon me but, how on earth did a thermostat CAUSE a radiator failure? In all my years as a mechanic I have never heard any warranty company try and come up with this malarkey. A thermostat can cause a vechicle to over heat, or under heat. Thats it. No way it can CAUSE a radiator failure.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:17 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
I would not leave home without a warrenty. The self fix it guys can save money at home but out on the road they are out of luck. Good Sam has served me well over tha past 8 years. I expect I have paid more but I have never been stranded and Good Sam responded within the hour.
slick60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 03:42 AM   #9

Good Sam just approved a new Accumulator Pump, Injection Valve Controller.......Total price they paid was $4,600.00 to a Cummins Dealer in Ocala, Florida.........I paid $250.00 deductible........
I'm now four years ahead of them in premiums............

I'm going to try for a new Air Conditioner this month..........Let's see how they handle that.......

If you have the right repair facility that knows how to talk to the claims department you'll get a lot more paid...........Never let them say that one part caused another to fail.......

John
johnboy545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 09:18 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
The plans normally pay for thing that don't wear out . You must keep up on normal maintenance. I'm ahead of the game and will continue to carry the coverage. I do not expect them to cover every little item but the big one's are what I worry about. Just had the charge radiator go bad and they picked up the tab minus the deductible, that saved me $3000.

LEN
Old 04-01-2011, 02:31 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick60 View Post
The self fix it guys can save money at home but out on the road they are out of luck.
My MH is my home wherever it is. Carry tools with me and fix problems as they happen.

I can't fix engines or transmissions. But I can fix AC's, water heaters, furnaces, jack seals etc. no matter what road I am on.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 02:49 PM   #12

I have purchased extended warranty on my SUV and never covered the cost vs repairs it covered. I currently don't own an expensive MH so I can't answer the question on whether to cover or not. It's insurance plain and simple. If it made you money for you they wouldn't sell it. If you aren't sure just take the premium money and put it aside for repairs. But then I'm not driving a high end coach.
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 07:44 PM   #13

Extended warranty is as good as the coverage one decides to purchase. Some extended warranty are name peril, that is only what is listed as covered on the policy. Some policies are all risk, that is everything is covered unless excluded.

A good exented warranty policy would be an all risk policy with a consequential damage indorsement. This coverage would extend coverage to a non covered part caused by a failure of a covered part OR extend coverage to a non covered part caused by a failure of a covered part. Example, as above if a thermostat fails and cause damage to the radiator they will repair the radiator.

Also look for a policy that has wear and tear coverage. That is if a part does not function to orginal specs the warranty company will replace the part. Most warranty companies will only pay for a part unless the part completely fails. Example, if a slide out slides in slowly due to wear, the wear and tear clause will replace the motor. Other companies that do not have a wear and tear clause will claim if the motor still functions they will not replace.Read the policy.

Contracts that I have had I never lost out on what I have paid and always been a head.I had repairs to items that I would not have repaired if I did not have a warranty.Placing a claim one MUST follow the claims submital procedures to the tee.

I presently have a contract with Allegiance via Wholesale Warranties.net. Most complaints I have read or spoken to people are do to ones expectation does not co-inside with the policy purchased and the polcies did pay out per policy limits. Read before you buy, Good Sams is an extemely limited and narrow coverage and tends to have a higher annual cost of premiums.
Robert T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:26 PM   #14

One year of coverage and my two separate repair bills didn't meet the $500 deductable. Added up, I had $900 in repairs, on two occasions and nothing was covered. Out $900 for the warranty and $900 in repairs. Bad investment on my part.
duck660 is offline   Reply With Quote