Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2012, 09:37 AM   #15

It must have been 30+ years ago that I called about a section of fence being blown down. My agent at the time, recommended I go to HD, get another section and/or a couple of 4x4s and put it up myself. I think the deductible at the time was $500 and wouldn't have covered the damage. I don't think I knew enough then to check if my rates went up.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2012, 02:11 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Kzoo Tom and others who were interested
GMAC refused to alter their findings. I had contacted the coach with a two point vaccume trailer I tow behind my lawnmower left front and right rear compartment doors I hadn't even realized I had done it for several days. GMAC stated two scratches one on each side two deductables at $500.00 equal $1000.00 deduct. I had a verbal estimate at an R,V shop for $1225.00 which was relayed to GMAC.
GMAC called back several days later and told me what the deductable was and I told GMAC I would cover the cost myself and to cancel the claim.
Everything was good until I received the renewal notice, the new cost was $970.00 over last year and they docked me 3 driver points for this accident.
GMAC wouldn't readjust the policy and at my request I cancelled my policy and am now insured with my original company.
lyledavid
I also found a local paint shop that was hungry for the work and did a great repair for less than $400.00

Old 06-13-2012, 04:30 PM   #17

I may be wrong, but shouldn't that have gone on your home owner's policy? If so, and the incident followed you to your original insurance company, I would dispute it to the proper insurance authority.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:50 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Wow, this way too bad, I hate to hear of your problems. I have them through Camping World and have had zero problems even with a few claims. Hope you can get this worked out.
2003 Winne Adventurer, Ford F53 V-10. Toad:1992 S-10, Road Master Falcon 2 Tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system and Protect-a-Tow. Right is right even if no one is doing it; Wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it--St Augustine of Hippo. Navy AD.
navychaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 07:21 PM   #19

thanks for the update. I completely understand cancelling and going with a different company. The insurance company's actions are absurd, especially since you never followed through with a claim. The only point I agree with is the two incidents. With opposing corners being damaged it is reasonable they would assume two events caused the damage.

Glad you found a shop to do the work at a reasonable cost. How about posting the name of the shop for the rest of us. We both live in the same area of the state, but I hope I don't need them. It would be nice to know who they are anyway.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:04 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
The real problem is that you had an incident (accident) and that is what affects your insurance policy NOT necessarily the claim. If you have a few accidents, whether or not you file claims, you are a higher risk. DON'T advise the insurance company of an incident if you intend to pay the damages. Don't even ask a hypothetical question. I have 2 riders on my auto policy; 1) no increase in premiums for claims (and yes, I pay a few cents for that 2) If I write off a vehicle the company pays the value on previous years auto value. In other words, they buy back one year depreciation. I know this from experience after an 18 wheeler ran over me with his trailer and almost cut the top off the car and me. It's unique to this company, so I am told. My vehicles are insured in Canada.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:30 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
GMAC sucks. At least it did for me. I purchased GMAC and while riding my motorcycle on the west side highway in NYC, I was hit by a cab - Hit & run. I did a 40+ mph face plant into the pavement around 55th street. After considerable efforts and months of phone calls, documentation, letters, etc GMAC refuses to budge... They went so far as to send me a letter implying I simply decided to throw my motorcycle to the ground and do the face plant for fun, since there was "no other vehicle involved" as I could not provide a license plate number for the cab that hit me and sped off. All I can say is, I wouldn't use GMAC to insure anything.

I'm with Geico now.

cheers
geo

BTW - i've never been in any accidents in my life before, nor after this incident, but GMAC even listed it as my fault and sent this info out on the confidential Insurance network data so it shows up now as a accident on my record, even thought they didn't pay out a cent. I'm still fighting with them over this 3 years later.
Old 06-15-2012, 02:16 AM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
We had similar. We had a whirlpool bathtub leak, this was maybe 15 years ago and had to replace carpet, some drywall, and things. In my naivete I called the insurance company and asked them about it. Finally realized since we were doing the repairs ourselves we would not turn it in. I said to them since we aren't turning it in then no claim will be on our record the person said that is correct. I never thought anything of it.

Many years later I was checking on our roof which was hail damaged and saying we had never had a claim on our homewoners before. The person said oh yes you have, you had a water damage claim. I said we never turned it in and never got any money as it was only about $1000 to fix it all ourselves. I asked how there could be a claim with no payout, no explanation but they would not remove it. It was many years later before I even found this out so don't remember about premiums, they are always going up anyway. But it sure made me mad. And here in Texas they make a big big deal about any kind of water damage and want it disclosed on resale. I had forgotten about all this until I read this. Insurance companies are not there for us anymore that's for sure. I don't turn anything in anymore unless it would be a huge claim. We had insurance with that company for 40 years and one claim and they did that, its crazy anymore. But its happened to others.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:18 AM   #23

I had heard about insurance companies logging every hypothetical question and questions if such and such is covered many years ago. I always believed it, but all these posts confirm it. They sound so friendly on the phone as they twist the knife they are sticking in your back.

And another thing: If you make something like 3 claims in three years, you're history. They will dump you for using your "insurance".

I will give one of my agents credit though. When I bought my `82 Vette, I admitted I smoked, but never in the Vette. He did write it as a non-smoker policy.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:39 AM   #24

I got a letter from AmFam saying my rates would be lower, but I had "insufficient length of credit history". I financed my `82 Vette and my `00 5er for about a month. I pay all my credit cards off in full before they are due. "No good deed goes unpunished". These crooks will do anything to gouge their customers. Hurricane in FL; you're canceled. Tornado in OK; you're canceled. And it's all legal racketeering.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:11 PM   #25
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
A couple comments.

One, if I read this correctly, the two damaged doors were on opposite sides of the motor home? I apologize if I've got this wrong, but if that is the case, it would be considered two separate incidents by most insurance companies, even if they happened only seconds apart. Second, to respond to a couple other posters, no, your homeowners will not cover damage to any of your motor vehicles, no matter how they were damaged. Another constant is they will never pay a liability claim for damage you caused to property you own. In this case had you damaged your neighbors vehicle with your lawn tractor your homeowners liability policy would cover that, but does not cover you for damaging your own property. Another scenario we saw all the time was someone backing one of their owned vehicles into their 'second' car. Again, you can not collect damages off the liability coverage of the car you were driving to repair another that you also own.

As for the increase in premium, every company has their own standards. From their point of view you had done something that caused over $1200 in damage to your own property, based on the estimate you shared with them. I wouldn't be surprised if the $400 it actually cost you is less than what would trigger a surcharge (When I last handled claims for State Farm the trigger was $750). Past behavior is the best predictor of future behavior. Many companies will 'forgive' one accident, if you've been a customer for a while.

I also agree with the post that asking your agent a hypothetical is far less likely to get you in trouble. He/she doesn't want the loss credited against his/her book of business and is not likely to report the call to the company if no claim will actually be filed.

2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance