Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2014, 07:36 AM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good Sam Insurance Rate Increase

After having the windshield replaced (rock damage) on my 2011 Challenger motor home, I received the renewal notice for my Good Sam policy, and discovered to my amazement that the premium increased by nearly $300. I have been checking other companies this morning, and find that Progressive has an attractive rate. My question - who on the Forum has Progressive, and how is the company to deal with as far as claims, etc.?

Thanks in advance

Bronk
bronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2014, 07:43 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
We have Progressive on the Fiat, RV and the Harley. We've had it on the Harley for a number of years while just a few years for the RV and Fiat. The only claim we've had so far was on the Harley when a deer decided to run a stop sign. They were very fast and very professional and took care of everything. And no the premium did not go up after that very large claim. As a matter of fact the only time the money has gone up was when we moved the insurance from MI to CA. The money on the RV fell about half while the Harley went up almost double. Different state so different rules/laws.
Old 07-08-2014, 07:47 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronk View Post
After having the windshield replaced (rock damage) on my 2011 Challenger motor home, I received the renewal notice for my Good Sam policy, and discovered to my amazement that the premium increased by nearly $300. I have been checking other companies this morning, and find that Progressive has an attractive rate. My question - who on the Forum has Progressive, and how is the company to deal with as far as claims, etc.?

Thanks in advance

Bronk
I have Progressive through USAA. Price was great Haven't had a claim yet Good Sam was higher than Geico. After their quote was rejected by me they keep sending emails that their new quote will be lower It really makes me wonder what game they are playing.
Engineman3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 07:53 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My agent tried to put me in progressive when I bought my MH I could not do that because I have a Safeco umbrella policy. When my agent checked the rates for Safeco they were half of what progressive rates were. On the other hand my motorcycle through progressive is about half of what Safeco is. You might want to check the rates on Safeco for your motor home. I have it on my home and all of my vehicles except the motorcycle. I have had a couple of claims on my truck where someone hit it in a parking lot. They have never raised my rates.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 07:47 AM   #5

We've had Progressive ever since we went fulltime over 4yrs. ago. We also added for $24 the roadside assistance. We've used them only for towing and they've never disappointed us. The best example I can give was when we needed a tow from Destruction Bay, Yukon Territory, to White Horse which was 180mi., I told them I didn't want the usual tow, but a trailer to put the coach on. They had no trouble with that, and at next renewal time our premium actually went down by $20. So to say the least we're very happy with Progressive.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 07:54 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have had Progressive Insurance for several years on 2 different coaches. We have never found anything better and are happy with our policy. The only claims we have had were a couple of windshields and the premium did not change.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Adopted by a great couple, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 12:47 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Our new to us discovery is being delivered Friday. Got a quote from progressive and State Farm. I have the rest of my stuff with state farm and they beat progressive by 550 yr with better coverage. Not full timers just weekenders
Hogbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 01:41 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
progressive ins

I would suggest you all check your policy for damage caused by rodents. I had progressive and no claims til I lefy a bag of cat food on the front seat of my coach and forgot to take it out before we keft for two weeks. When I came back rodents had entered the rv and did over $20,000 worth of damage, Ate thru all wiring , pillows etc. NO coverage for "damage cause by rodent". I am with good sam and I dont see any such exclusion in this policy.
Old 07-09-2014, 01:55 PM   #9

I do and just checked goods SAMs prices a couple of weeks ago they wanted $500 more a year with less coverage.
Old 07-09-2014, 01:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newmar 14 View Post
I would suggest you all check your policy for damage caused by rodents. I had progressive and no claims til I lefy a bag of cat food on the front seat of my coach and forgot to take it out before we keft for two weeks. When I came back rodents had entered the rv and did over $20,000 worth of damage, Ate thru all wiring , pillows etc. NO coverage for "damage cause by rodent". I am with good sam and I dont see any such exclusion in this policy.

How long did you leave your coach unattended for rats to do that much damage.
Old 07-09-2014, 03:55 PM   #11

Bronk
Got Progressive years ago on previous coach. Then added two cars after Fla Farm Bureau went up too far. We are very happy on all counts. We have towing through Coach-Net. We had a claim on the MH last year and I could not have asked for more prompt or courteous service. My buddy owns a tractor trailer repair shop and he loves it when the insurance is Progressive because they PAY and don't haul out the hoops for us to jump through. We even saved 30% on both cars by using their Snapshot program. Yes, I have heard about the liberal owner of Progressive and I say as long as he has the best company, then I will employ it and not care what he does with his own money.
Old 07-10-2014, 09:15 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Progressive

We were gonr two weeks. Apparently mother rodenthad babies anf the whole family loved to eat wiring in walls, roof etc. All four slide had to be removed , etc. Was a real mess.
Old 07-27-2016, 12:14 AM   #13

Thumbs down Good Sam Insurance Bait & Switch

BAIT & SWITCH - although the switch occurred a year later at renewal time. Good Sam Insurance Advertised they could save several hundred dollars on vehicle, RV and auto insurance - I called / got quote / and did save several hundred dollars by bundling all vehicles together in one policy, RV, cars, trucks, trailers, etc.
Annual renewal time came - Premium increased from $2,700 to $3,400 - no explanation available from Good Sam Insurance and no apparent reason for there to have been an increase - admitting that there were no reasons against me to cause an increase in premium (no accidents, no tickets, no claims, no nothing!) - only that National General just increased the premiums.
mwlaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 04:30 AM   #14

Just renewed with Progressive thru USAA and premium increased $10.00 for the year. Wish my LTC was like that.

Tags
insurance