Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2016, 10:42 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Good Sam Membership

Is Good Sam a thumbs up or a thumbs down or is there a better membership club to join for a Class A RV'r. Wanting and needing to join a club for an ins. discount. Any recommendations?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2016, 11:14 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
Is Good Sam a thumbs up or a thumbs down or is there a better membership club to join for a Class A RV'r. Wanting and needing to join a club for an ins. discount. Any recommendations?
We have Good Sam and Pasport America.
The biggest pro with GS is that it gets you a 10% discount at any of the GS Rated campgrounds of which there are many across North America. Also gets you a discount at Camping World stores which is an OK thing I guess.
Pasport America will get you up to 50% discounts as select campground with some conditions attached. But it can and does (for us anyway) pay for itself by using it only once or twice per year.

IMO, these are the only two I know of that are worthwhile. Be careful of the ones that sound too good to be true. Because they are.

Old 01-05-2016, 11:20 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We use Good Sam, it pays for itself if you do much traveling.
Old 01-05-2016, 11:21 AM   #4

GS used to be great. 10 issues of Highways magazine each year, cg discounts, Camping World discounts and more. But they cancelled the magazine. So if you use the campground discount often enough it'll pay for itself. But I miss the magazine.
davendeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 11:24 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by davendeb View Post
GS used to be great. 10 issues of Highways magazine each year, cg discounts, Camping World discounts and more. But they cancelled the magazine. So if you use the campground discount often enough it'll pay for itself. But I miss the magazine.
I still get the digital version of the magazine but I think it's only 3-4 per year now instead of the original ten, and, it's not the mag it used to be....
Old 01-05-2016, 11:37 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
So is this still a good club or there better ones?
Old 01-05-2016, 11:47 AM   #7

Quote:
IMHO, It is still worth the money. In fact, if you make a purchase at Camping World they usually offer some sort of discount on a membership. For obvious reasons of course, but for me it's still a good thing.
Old 01-05-2016, 11:59 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
My two cents is that it's worthwhile. It easily pays for itself with regular travel, the store discounts help a lot (and we have an awesome GS store here in Vegas).

Plus... they give you a REALLY COOL STICKER!

Wryly Blithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 05:35 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
I have maintained my GS membership and it does save 10% at CG that don't honor the 50% discount that Passport America provides. IF you can find the PA campgrounds close to your travel routes, it pays for itself almost immediately.

I strongly recommend membership in FMCA. Not only does it provide a good MONTHLY magazine, the other member benefits are worth a lot more than the $45.00 per year dues. The Michelin Tire program and the medical repatriation program are just two of many benefits. Visit www.fmca.com to learn more.

Since you asked about insurance discounts, here is my story:
When I got the signature coach, I used the "FMCA Insurance" program and got a Policy with GMAC that provided full replacement cost coverage, and also purchase price coverage after the 5 year limit on full replacement cost ran out. This coverage fro GMAC was converted to a policy from National General Ins Co a few years ago. My policy renewal was due on 12-30-2015 and I called them to explore my options because the premium had gone up by 23% for the 2016 year, even though I had no accidents, tickets, etc. The CS people told me they could only adjust my deductible amount a save me a few $$, but that I should speak to someone in "sales" to see if a new policy would save me money. My call was transferred to "sales" and the voice answering said "Welcome to GOOD SAM insurance, how can I help you?" After I explained my situation and provided my policy number with National General's "FMCA" discount, the sales agent said "I'm sorry, but I can't beat those rates" and suggested I just renew the policy I have, which I did.

One feature that I believe both GS and FMCA sponsored policies offer is the ability to NOT pay for the cost of LIABILITY insurance while your RV is in storage and not being driven. The comp coverage remains in force in case there is a loss while parked, but you save a few bucks by not paying for the liability you need only if out on the road. There may be limits on how many times per year you can take it in or out of storage, and I don't know "how" they calculate the premium needed to add the liability coverage when you want to use the coach, but I think you will hear them proclaiming how you can save with this feature.

I would see what difference you may be quoted by using both GS and FMCA to get a quote.

If you decide to join FMCA, then we want to welcome you to join the Workhorse Chapter, too.
Ed
Old 01-05-2016, 06:08 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
We've been Good Sam members for more than 25 years and have seen the best and worst of membership. The worst part is the constant mailings that you receive in the mail. A call to the company can stop that. For me, the best benefit of the GS membership is the 10 % discount on camping fees and the fuel discount card through Pilot/FJ. It's a charge card, not a credit card and I just pay it on line every month. Using the card gives us a 6 cent per gallon discount at the pump and I can purchase as much fuel as the coach will take.

I hardly ever use the Camping World stores for things as most of the stuff that I buy are from on line places, but it's nice to be able to get a discount at a store if you stop there.

We are also long time members of FMCA and I have a AAA membership. Lot's of campgrounds offer 10% for members of those organizations.
CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 06:14 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have good sam and FMCA, I like them both and get a military discount.if I have to choose one it would be FMCA.
Old 01-05-2016, 06:31 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDDonkey View Post
I have good sam and FMCA, I like them both and get a military discount.if I have to choose one it would be FMCA.
X2

I like FMCA not only because of the magazine and benefits but they also lobby for the motor coach owners.

And I am also GS member and have used the membership for CG discount.

g
Indy Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 07:24 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I agree with Ed in terms of clubs - I think Family Motor Coach Association is the best choice. If you just look at what you get without purchasing anything else FMCA gives you a great magazine and FMCAssist coverage if you are hospitalized and have to get home. There are other FMCA benefits that are notable but you have to purchase something like tires, insurance or stay at a campground. FMCA is probably the largest true Motor Home Club out there. Dues $50 first year / $40 thereafter

Good Sam used to have a really good magazine which was worth the membership in itself. Now it is four inserts in Motorhome Magazine. Benefits without purchasing anything is the trip planner tool on their website. It seems like everything else you have purchase something, stay at a RV park, or fill your fuel tank. In my opinion in recent years the Club has shifted more towards a marketing tool for Camping World rather than the club it used to be. Can a corporate club be as valuable as an independent membership club?
it is certainly worth it if you stay enough 10% off nights to pay for the membership and it is not hard to do when the dues are $25/yr

Another club is Escapees RV Club which is an RV support group that has memberships and is ran as a business for the membership. Escapees have a pretty nice magazine and have campgrounds that offer anywhere from 15 to 50% off and they have the usual benefits with discounts through different vendors. Another club if you travel and stay enough nights it will pay for the $39.95 dues. The way I look at the magazine subscription is worth about $20 so you only have to stay four or five nights and it's a wash.

Another "corporate" club that may have been mentioned is Passport America which gives you 50% off with some limited restrictions. If you are going to get Passport America get it through FMCA if you join them as FMCA will get a percentage of the subscription after the first year. Membership is $44/yr and you can make it pay for itself with a two night stay.

When you figure to join all four it runs about $12.50 a month. If one article or one forum post, aside from the discounts that can pay for the membership, can save you from a problem or leads you to some place new and enjoyable it is well worth it.
Member FMCA F421963, GS Life, SKP#127220, WIT, PA,
Robmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 08:08 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Good Sam also has a consumer help advocacy that might be of interest if you're in warranty period with a reluctant manufacturer...

Downside - they still send marketing mail, even if you opt out... :-)