Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2011, 07:47 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Good Sam Price Increase

I have Coachnet as my roadside assistance and I am also a member of the Good Sam Club. My Good Sam Club membership has increased from $19.00 for 2010 to $29.95 for 2011, a 57% increase. I realize that nothing about a motorhome is cheap but it seems that this is an excessive increase. I can't see that much benefit with Good Sam. I know about the discounts at a lot of parks but since I usually stay longer than a day or two, most of the time the discount does not apply. Is there something I'm missing here about the benefits of Good Sam? Any opinions?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2011, 08:05 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Richard,
I too had a hard time seeing the value of Good Sam Club. In 2 months I never recovered my membership fee's and I full time.
Check out this thread on Passport America. I just joined for $48.00 and have saved 3 times that in 2 weeks.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:31 AM   #3

i just renewed mine in feb. for $15
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 09:21 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm have my invoice in hand and it says to renew for 1 year is $29.95, 2 years is $52.95 and 3 years is $69.85.

How did you get it for $15. Is this the first year for you?
Old 03-14-2011, 10:44 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I just argued with GS about the higher price (no help). Then yesterday I was playing on another site, can't remember where, but the 1st year was $19.00 (I guess it was an intro price.)
I didn't know there was a nightly limit on GS, everytime I used it it was unlimited.
I have belonged to GS for 5 years-each year it goes up-I think this is the last year for me!! Can we blame Libia for this too??
Larry & Rita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 12:09 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
I've got a feeling that Good Sam is going to lose a lot of members.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:10 PM   #7

My GS renewal was $69.95 for 3 years. That's 23.32 per year. If they are negotiating prices that really tightens my jaws! I can understand introductory offers but after that it should be the same for all. This, plus the fact they continually pester me with useless offers, plus that their insurance is really not that great a deal, leaves me wondering if I should continue membership.

GS gets you 10% off at campgrounds but can't you get the same with AAA and AARP? I don't know the answer since I have been GS for a long time and just use that discount.

I think that what Richard is saying is that the GS 10% generally applies to daily rates but not to weekly, monthly, etc. That has also been my experience.
sandpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 03:16 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I just renewed my Good Sam for two years and that will probably be my last time. They keep going up and the discount parks keep getting fewer and fewer. Their insurance is too high, their road service sucks and I get very little for my membership, which I have had since 1977.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:46 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
I just renewd my Good Sam membership for $29..... I asked about the $19 renewal and I was told it was for new applicants only.
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 04:35 PM   #10

A while back we opted for the GS Life Membership...based on how much you RV and your age, you might consider it.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:22 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Just drop your membership and start a new GS membership in your wife's name - get it for $19.

But I don't think it is worth $19 either...
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 04:39 AM   #12

i did complain thats mow i got it cheaper that was in burleson texas
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 05:16 AM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanabee FTer View Post
Hi Richard,
I too had a hard time seeing the value of Good Sam Club. In 2 months I never recovered my membership fee's and I full time.
Check out this thread on Passport America. I just joined for $48.00 and have saved 3 times that in 2 weeks.
One has to be careful with this one also. I was a past member and this year found out many CG's dropped it because they were losing money on it. Also many CG's are on the bottom of the totem pole as far as quality is concerned and even then don't accept it during their busy season, or limit the stay.
dantrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:24 AM   #14

Forest River Owners Club
We just signed up for the passport america. I think you have to watch the restriction variation in each of the supported CG. However, I think it is a pretty good deal and will pay for itself.