Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2011, 06:47 PM   #1

good sam road service

after finding a bubble on the sidewall of one of our steer tires (3 yr. old 15,000 mi michelin xze's) we decided not to drive the coach to a tire shop, nearest was 50 mi. in fear of a blowout. we called good sam to have a mobile tire service to come out and replace the tires. ( bought 2 new xza3's) well guess what they said? they would be happy to send a service truck out to our site but we would need to pay for the changing of the tires and then we would need to pay the charges for the tech to get back home. good sam's at their best once again!!!!!!!!!!!!

beaverjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2011, 09:45 PM   #2

I had AAA for many years while living in So Ca and their service was good. In other words, they provided an emergancy service after I had an event. When I moved to AZ I decided to switch to Good Sam (price), with much trepidation, until I actually had a blow out just south of Phoenix. I called Good Sam and the CRS told me a tech would be there in 45 minutes, which is exactly what happened. He changed the tire and I was on my way - I can't ask for more than that. They fullfilled their part of the contract.

You didn't have an event that was covered under your contract. You thought you might have one, and maybe you would have or maybe not, but your contract with Good Sam only responds to a actual loss or event. Maybe you should have punctured the bubble (the tire was shot anyway) and then called Good Sam. They would have responded and changed your tire.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:51 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've had three blowouts before and Good Sam did really good by me. Only thing it ever cost me was the price of the tires.

They even towed my Mothers car about 40 miles to the nearest Buick dealer when I was driving it anf the fuel filter developed a leak. I just had to sign the paperwork.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 01:49 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by southie View Post
I had AAA for many years while living in So Ca and their service was good. In other words, they provided an emergancy service after I had an event. When I moved to AZ I decided to switch to Good Sam (price), with much trepidation, until I actually had a blow out just south of Phoenix. I called Good Sam and the CRS told me a tech would be there in 45 minutes, which is exactly what happened. He changed the tire and I was on my way - I can't ask for more than that. They fullfilled their part of the contract.

You didn't have an event that was covered under your contract. You thought you might have one, and maybe you would have or maybe not, but your contract with Good Sam only responds to a actual loss or event. Maybe you should have punctured the bubble (the tire was shot anyway) and then called Good Sam. They would have responded and changed your tire.

southie, according to them it is a covered item. they just won't pay any labor charges once on site. well i guess i'll need to be alright with that but if their paying for the service call how the heck is the service driver supposed to get home after he arrives. kinda like you c an check in but you can't check out! jim
Old 06-28-2011, 09:17 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Learning About Good Sam the Hard Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaverjim View Post
after finding a bubble on the sidewall of one of our steer tires (3 yr. old 15,000 mi michelin xze's) we decided not to drive the coach to a tire shop, nearest was 50 mi. in fear of a blowout. we called good sam to have a mobile tire service to come out and replace the tires. ( bought 2 new xza3's) well guess what they said? they would be happy to send a service truck out to our site but we would need to pay for the changing of the tires and then we would need to pay the charges for the tech to get back home. good sam's at their best once again!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're not making me feel any better...

I went to make my first Good Sam claim, and was told that the component needing replacement in my front suspension was ultimately worn do to lack of grease caused by a boot failing.

Well, above 65,000 miles, "seals and gaskets" are excluded.

I've thus spent $600 in six months on premiums for coverage that, in essence, does not exist. I mean, think of all the mechanical failures that could occur in these rigs that could be eventually traced back to a seal or gasket of some type.

Check your coverage!!

(DW is a lawyer who read the contract, and this even caught her by surprise!!)
Old 06-29-2011, 12:59 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvneophytes2 View Post
you're not making me feel any better...

I went to make my first good sam claim, and was told that the component needing replacement in my front suspension was ultimately worn do to lack of grease caused by a boot failing.

Well, above 65,000 miles, "seals and gaskets" are excluded.

I've thus spent $600 in six months on premiums for coverage that, in essence, does not exist. I mean, think of all the mechanical failures that could occur in these rigs that could be eventually traced back to a seal or gasket of some type.

Check your coverage!!
(dw is a lawyer who read the contract, and this even caught her by surprise!!)
you need to make sure your extended warranty states that it covers seals and gaskets.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:28 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
I have had VERY good results with GS Extended. Southie, looks like you were just trying to get new tires with out going to the shop. The GS coverage is for breakdowns and tire failures not maybes. I have found that you get the best results if you use a repair center that has an experienced Warrenty coverage man on staff. One wrong answer to any extended warranty service person can result in no coverage.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:31 AM   #8

Send a message via Skype™ to JMerenda
Anyone do AAA? Or is GS pretty much the benchmark? Also, we insure the coach with Progressive, I turned down their roadside plan in favor of GS Emergency plan. Was this wise?
Old 06-29-2011, 10:37 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I used Good Sam 3 times over 5 years, 2 road service calls,one in Canada, one lock out in my Tow vehicle in Florida. They covered everything, just signed the papers. Fast and no fuss.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick60 View Post
I have had VERY good results with GS Extended. Southie, looks like you were just trying to get new tires with out going to the shop. The GS coverage is for breakdowns and tire failures not maybes. I have found that you get the best results if you use a repair center that has an experienced Warrenty coverage man on staff. One wrong answer to any extended warranty service person can result in no coverage.

slick60, i wasn't trying get anything for free! they say they have roadside tire coverage. when michelin tells you not to drive 1 mile due to probable tire failure i would think you listen. when they agree to pay to have a moble tire service come out to you but won't pay to get him back home sounds goofy too me, but i guess i must be nuts. jim
Old 06-29-2011, 01:17 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMerenda View Post
Anyone do AAA? Or is GS pretty much the benchmark? Also, we insure the coach with Progressive, I turned down their roadside plan in favor of GS Emergency plan. Was this wise?
I use AAA premium RV.
My experience with GS is good & bad. I had them for 1 1/2 years. I never needed service for my RV. My son used them for his Blazer when it broke down in a shopping center down the street from my home. They were there within 1 hour & towed home , no charge. My daughter used them when away at college. We live apprx 50 miles from where she broke down. She asked to be towed to our home. GS refused, no way they would tow or offer to split the cost to tow 50 miles. There was a repair facility within 15 miles of her location. They did however have no problem towing her 10 miles to her school residence. After I drove there & tried to repair the vehicle, I still needed to have it towed home for more repairs. I called GS & explained the situation. The person I spoke with this time said no problem as long as I would pay the additional mileage. I did, $145 for the additional 40+ miles. After this I switched back to AAA. AAA will tow you up to the given mileage of your plan no matter if they passed a repair facility every 5 miles on the way. Low & behold 1 month later my daughters Jeep broke down again. AAA towed the vehicle 50+ miles to my home, no questions asked, no charge. AAA gets my money at least until they change thier policy.
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 01:44 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Had Good Sam now have Coach Net road service.

Both have done well for emergency service. Good Sam contacts seemed more clueless when it came to a DP motorhome with a whole bunch of nonsense questions before we got down to business.

I really liked the only time I contacted Coach Net with a breakdown in heavy traffic blocking one of two traffic lanes Sunday PM (broken fuel line). They asked all the right questions with no nonsense questions. Tow response was excellent.

My buddy's call to his AAA road service plan yielded no help on a flat tire on the outside rear of his DP.

Ultimately, we got him rolling ourselves to get somewhere to fix the tire .

Today, I would consider Coach Net to be the Class A standard.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 02:16 PM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMerenda View Post
I have AAA and GS. GS has been great on the highway.
I use AAA in the city.
J
Old 07-04-2011, 08:24 PM   #14

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had AAA for 1 year. I had a tire that started to separate on our travel trailer. I called explained what we had, how much it weighed, where we were etc. I added that our trailer was equipped with aluminum wheels so a thin wall socket would be needed ( I had one ready if tech didn't). Tech showed up with a 1 ton Walmart jack and a 3/8 racket to remove the wheel. After asking me for my jack and my breaker bar and my socket I quickly determined that I was not going to place my family in the hands of this tech so I changed the tire myself and I have called AAA 6 times to describe my experience in hopes that I could speak to someone who cared enough to tell me what happened and reassure me that it wouldn't happen again. No such luck. So I cancelled my plan. On the other hand my father has had AAA for years and loves it, he has had no complaints and has used the service for his coach numerous times. I guess it's just a craps shoot out there so I am prepared to handle most things that happen. I just bought a new coach and it came with 1 yr free coachnet so we'll see how they stack up.

Tags
service