Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-10-2019, 06:55 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Good Sam Roadside Assistance??

It is time to renew my roadside assistance, I have had a goodsam policy for over 5 years but have not used it and I would like to know if anyone has advice as to what roadside assistance is best for class A motor home.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2019, 07:14 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrslowski View Post
It is time to renew my roadside assistance, I have had a goodsam policy for over 5 years but have not used it and I would like to know if anyone has advice as to what roadside assistance is best for class A motor home.
If you don't use it, Sam is fine. If you need it, I found Coachnet to be better as they have not left me on the side of the road like Sam.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 07:48 AM   #3

Not used it? Lucky you. How often do you play Russian Roulette?

I used Good Sam Roadside Assist for the first time last year. I had a valve stem go bad and one of the duals went totally flat. Fortunately I noticed at a rest area before there was any tire damage.

Good Sam sent a repair truck 50 miles one way to pull the wheel, replace the valve stem, inflate the tire and check the other wheels. Good Sam covered the cost of getting the truck to us and my cost was under $100 for the tire work.

The total bill was about $500. Other than the cost of Good Sam, I saved about $400 on that incident and didn't have to try to find service while stranded. Your mileage may vary!
Old 02-10-2019, 07:53 AM   #4
WRP

I have been thinking about joining AAA roadside. Anybody have any good or bad ?
WRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 08:29 AM   #5

Good sam roadside assistance??

I have and like FMCA Roadside Assist that costs $69/year. You do have to have a FMCA Membership that covers the term of coverage you want for Roadside Assist.
mrboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 08:34 AM   #6

I have used the towing rider to my progressive MH insurance policy and have been very happy with the service. It is only about 20 dollars a year and covers about the same as GS or others.
Hope this helps.
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 08:39 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderman View Post
If you don't use it, Sam is fine. If you need it, I found Coachnet to be better as they have not left me on the side of the road like Sam.
I agree-- been there/done that !
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 08:41 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
How many times have you used it? What was the response time? What was it for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quincy View Post
I have used the towing rider to my progressive MH insurance policy and have been very happy with the service. It is only about 20 dollars a year and covers about the same as GS or others.
Hope this helps.
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 08:47 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
We are looking right now since our Good Sams towing renewal is coming due in March. We have seen great reviews of CoachNet but the FMCA deal sounds really good at 69 bucks. I just wish there were more reviews on FMCA towing since the company they are using it relatively new to the market.
So far Good Sams has been great about taking my payment but I haven't used it so I no opinion on the quality of service other than the reviews I have read.
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 08:50 AM   #10

Agree 100%with powder man left stranded with goodsam platinum plus on two occasions . I went with coach net.
Eastham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 08:55 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
How many times have you used it? What was the response time? What was it for?
Two times, once for a flat tire and once for being stuck in the mud both times I was good to go in less than three hours.
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 09:06 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Good Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Miller View Post
Not used it? Lucky you. How often do you play Russian Roulette?

I used Good Sam Roadside Assist for the first time last year. I had a valve stem go bad and one of the duals went totally flat. Fortunately I noticed at a rest area before there was any tire damage.

Good Sam sent a repair truck 50 miles one way to pull the wheel, replace the valve stem, inflate the tire and check the other wheels. Good Sam covered the cost of getting the truck to us and my cost was under $100 for the tire work.

The total bill was about $500. Other than the cost of Good Sam, I saved about $400 on that incident and didn't have to try to find service while stranded. Your mileage may vary!
Glad to hear you had good luck with GS. I'm thinking about getting GS roadside assistance. Why did you have to pay part of the bill? I'm a GS member, and through camping season last year, I paid my membership payment off by using my GS card, I also paid my membership fees off the first campground, using my passport America card. But I need roadside assistance.
LickingTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 09:22 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
It all depends on the service provider your ER plan uses. Sometimes you win, and sometimes you wait.
Any help will depend on your luck of the draw when you need it. Your best defence is to be prepared and make sure your rig is in good shape and well maintained.
People will have good and bad stories to tell about any roadside help plans, so as far as I'm concerned, you pay your money and take your chances.
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 09:30 AM   #14

Three times, once for a battery cable, once for a slide that would not come in, and once for my Suburban which needed a crane to pick it up out of the creek and then towed to the house (no damage). All were reasonable response times and glad I had it. Only thing is the price difference between new customers and loyal customers.