Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-15-2017, 08:05 PM   #1
TAN

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Good Sam RV Towing

Not sure how many of you use Good Sam Towing but this is my experience using Good Sam Towing. A few days ago the radiator blew on my car and I needed a tow. Good Sam wanted $44.00 to tow me. In June I had gave good Sam Towing $479.82. They promised me they would tow anything I had free of charge. I had signed for three years. I had free towing and if I was unable to drive my motor home they would drive it home for free. Well the first time I needed it they wanted $44.00 bucks. So the next day I cancelled it and got back $413.89. If I would not of needed it for three years I would of purchased it again not knowing it was of no value.
I am a life member of The American Motorcycle association and I pay them $19.00 a year and they say they will tow me for free. And they did!! The reason I joined Good Sam is I thought there was know way the AMA would tow me for only $19.00 buck. How wrong I was.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2017, 08:39 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

What was their explanation for the $44 charge?

The Roadside policy only commits them to pay for a tow to the nearest qualified repair facility - did you perhaps request some other place? Or was there some additional service requested?
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 09:23 AM   #3

That’s Good Sam for you. I’ll bet old Art is rolling in his grave over what his baby has become[emoji33]
mccrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 09:48 AM   #4

I have used Good Sam towing on three different occassions and have not been charged extra.
In fact, the service was very good.
Fyrflie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 10:11 AM   #5

Good Experience with Good Sam Towing

At 43,000 miles our coach broke a serpentine belt. This was on a Sunday afternoon on I-81 north of Scranton, PA. The GS rep had to do some searching but found someone willing to work on Sunday. We did have over a 4 hour wait but GS checked back with us and also confirmed that the tow service was equipped and willing to disconnect the driveline and tow our motorhome.

Plummer's Towing of Factoryville, PA arrived with a big rig only to discover they could not lift our coach because of our independent front suspension. The driver/owner left and returned with his wheel lift truck and a helper. They removed the right axle and towed us to their shop. We were connected to water and spent the night. Early the next morning, mechanics were working on our coach. I had saved the broken belt in order to identify the correct replacement. The mechanics, including the owner, worked cheerfully and carefully replacing both belts and repairing wiring broken by the flailing belt.

Lessons learned; Good Sam performed well through Plummer's; carry spare belts (I thought I had them but it turned out I had purchased two of the same and, of course, not the one needed); replace belts before failure even if they look OK. I plan to replace mine every 35,000 miles.
EZDZIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 11:10 PM   #6
TAN

Workhorse Chassis Owner
It was a brand new radiator that blew and it was covered under warranty 11 miles away were I had it replaced. I am on my third new radiator ,but that's an other story. GS only wanted to tow me 4 miles to I do not no where. I told the lady that it was a warranty item but had to be towed 11 miles. So she wanted
$44.00. The American motorcycle association that I belong to towed it the 11 miles no problem, and I pay $19.00 a year for that. It is not my intention to bad mouth GS I am just saying what happened to me.
Old 12-18-2017, 10:57 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have been reading these types of post about AAA,FMCA,COACHNETand GOOD SAM. I think all of these are middle men and quality is dependent on the supplier.
Good or bad you should have tow insurance for your rig. Almost assured some people will have a different experience based on type of personality, day or part of country they are in.

Good luck.
AlanTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 11:15 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanTerry View Post
I have been reading these types of post about AAA,FMCA,COACHNETand GOOD SAM. I think all of these are middle men and quality is dependent on the supplier.
Good or bad you should have tow insurance for your rig. Almost assured some people will have a different experience based on type of personality, day or part of country they are in.

Good luck.
I have found the above to be true except in the case of AAA. Their call receptionists seemed to have no concept of the tow equipment needed to serve our fifth wheel. They argued with the California Highway Patrol about our RV tow coverage while the CHP officer was looking at our valid AAA RV card! On another occasion they sent a tow truck which already had a vehicle in tow after a bearing failure. We called a local tow company on our own.
Never again will we rely on AAA for RV tow coverage. I have belonged to AAA for over 50 years but now only for maps and tour books.
EZDZIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 05:51 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
good sam no longer covers moho's

Oddly, just before we left yesterday, I opened an letter from good sam. it concerned my tow membership that I've had since the 1980. I'm a lifetime charter member. I usually pay every 5 years. it is up in Nov 2020. Letter said that they NO LONGER COVER MOTORHOME'S. Huh????? so what do they cover??? so I called them and they said that it was an extra $75 to cover moho's. I use to drive for AAA, yeah, like a tow truck. So I'm a bit caught flat footed on the phone, trying to figure out if the woman is kidding or it is a scam. BUT I DIALED HER! I asked what the purpose of the tow service for me if she doesn't cover moho's, as I have 3 of them????? she sputtered a bit and said that they will still cover them i pay the $75 extra. Wait a second, I've paid, in advance until 2020, we have a contract!!! "Oh, no we don't she says, we have a terms of agreement"... I go really??? she says "and that it has been changed"... "Moho's are extra"... So, I says "How can I expect you to honor a future contract if you don't honor our current contract?" "Well that has been changed",she says..... I say" I didn't agree to that!" "hmmmm guess when I get back I'll have to get a refund" as I will not pay more for contract that I already have paid for" I said "don't make any changes now, if there are any problems I'll use my insurance company tow feature while I'm on the road". sounda like Good Sam has becoma BAD SAM!!! So, you if you own a moho, and you have paid for coverage, they will not honor it....
Old 05-07-2018, 06:16 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I wonder if they are doing the same thing with their other coverages? Insurance and med evac????

Tags
tow, towing