Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2016, 05:32 AM   #1

Good Sams Insurance

For those who are thinking about buying a Good Sams insurance policy for bumper to bumper coverage with a $50.00 deductible, here are a few things you need to think about.

1. They would not cover my broken tv antenna and several other items that were on the list. They decide what they will pay without your input.

2. You have to pay a diagnostics fee for each item on the list ($75=$90) even if you tell them it's broke.

3. You pay shipping for items they replace and extra charges they do not describe.

4. On a $3700.00 bill my $50.00 deductible was $1300.00.

5. And always check out the repairs before you drive off the lot. I was 600 miles away before I realized the repairman checked off items and didn't attempt to fix them, but still charged me a diagnostics fee. They did agree to pay me back for the items the repairman lied about.

JUST SAYING!!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2016, 08:42 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Fairly typical of any "extended warranty" repair insurance, though. Lot's of "gotchas".

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 09:27 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
On a $3700.00 bill my $50.00 deductible was $1300.00.
So the $2,400 saved should have paid for at least 2 years of the coverage.
Looks like you are way ahead of them.

Just saying.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 10:10 AM   #4

Maybe, but when I'm lied to by a slice sales person I have a hard time finding the positive part of it. By the way these are Camping World people if anyone cares!!
Old 01-30-2016, 01:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banner Elk View Post
1. They would not cover my broken tv antenna and several other items that were on the list. They decide what they will pay without your input.
Don't give up just yet...

If the extended warranty, extended service plan, or whatever they call it.. lists specific repairs covered in a written contract (aka: policy), you should be able to get the overcharges reimbursed. Photocopy the contract and highlight the items that it says are covered, but you were made to pay for. Photocopy your repair receipt(s), highlight the charges you think you were wrongly charged. Send the copies via certified mail (with receipt) to Good Sams customer service. Tell them what you want (reimbursement for covered items that you had to pay for).

Give them a reasonable amount of time to send a written reply. If it doesn't include an adequate resolution, next stop is your State Attorney General's consumer complaint office. When you contact the AG's office, in writing, include a copy of your paper trail. Don't ramble.. but do briefly include in your complaint specifically what the problem is and what you think Good Sams owes you. If they have more questions, they will ask you. The AG's office will copy all that and send an inquiry to Good Sams asking their side of the story. I've found here, in WV, that when they send an inquiry to the other party, they often settle as soon as they see the Attorney General's letter head. If the AG finds you are wrong, they'll tell you why.

The other thing this does is allow your AG's office to document problems with a service provider. If there's a trend, they can take action on the offender.

NAAG | Who's My AG?

By the way, I had a problem with an insurance adjuster sent by USAA to deal with coverage on my home. On the advice of a local attorney, I filed a similar complaint with the state's Office of Insurance Commissioner. The problem was quickly resolved in my favor.
Old 01-30-2016, 01:59 PM   #6

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Good advice!
I've done that more than once over my lifetime.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 03:43 PM   #7

Thanks, 427ford, very useful info.
Old 01-30-2016, 04:09 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Oh, don't worry, they will "cover" the explicitly contracted items. It's just that there are numerous uncovered extras, like parts shipping, fluids, sealers, belts & hoses, etc. They may also pro-rate for wear & tear on some items, or the shop may have charges (like shop materials) that are not part of the coverage either. It all adds up, and GS is very good at weaseling out from paying for things.

The sales guys never mention any of this stuff. They probably aren't even aware of it - they only know what they were taught is the 45 minutes sales class the product. It's the guys in the service area that get the guff when the customer gets a big bill he thought would be 100% covered.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance