Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2016, 10:33 AM   #1

Good Sams insurance quote.....too good to be true?

After years of insuring my coach thru my auto insurance company I decided to get a quote from good sams and risk years of unsolicited junk mail. Surprising to me, the quote was 1/2 my existing premiums with the same coverages and lower deductibles. This almost sounds too good to be true. Present premium is 1400.00. Good Sams quote was $750. Both for one year. Your thoughts?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2016, 10:44 AM   #2

My 2004 36' aerbus is $650 a year through good sams
jdarends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 10:58 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgholson View Post
After years of insuring my coach thru my auto insurance company I decided to get a quote from good sams and risk years of unsolicited junk mail. Surprising to me, the quote was 1/2 my existing premiums with the same coverages and lower deductibles. This almost sounds too good to be true. Present premium is 1400.00. Good Sams quote was $750. Both for one year. Your thoughts?
I have had Good Sams off and on for various RV's over the years and they were always good until the last 3 or 4 years. 2 years ago I went with Good Sam on my present motor home, They were less money than The company I had been with for 27 years. they were about $200 a year cheaper, until it came time to renew. The rate jumped over $300 more. I had no citations or accidents. I went back to my old insurance company and save $175 a year less than Good Sams. The only thing I can figure is they use a teaser rate to get you to take their insurance and then raise the rates the following year. They have begged me to come back, but I won't do it. Ever since they switched to National General they are not as good as they use to be.
Mel
Old 11-13-2016, 11:06 AM   #4

Rexhall Owners Group
I have had Allstate insurance for the past 40 years for cars, houses and personal items. We had them insure our RV and found out they charged twice as much for less coverage than National General Insurance. So we quickly canceled our RV insurance with Allstate and went with National General. Even found out that our dogs are now covered for various scenarios and incidents with our new policy!
Carrie711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 11:26 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Our 2006 Tiffin Allegro Bay is insured with Nationwide and the yearly premium is $554 with $1000 deductible.

We had an accident and they paid $10,000 without any hassle and we only had to pay $800 because they have a declining deductible.

Our rate did not go up after the accident.
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 02:43 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Our 2004 Itasca M30-W is $600 yr, State Farm. I've had all of my vehicles and my home with State Farm for decades; always been either cheaper or at least competitive with any other company we've gotten quotes from.
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 03:01 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
My 2000 Newmar Dutchstar is insured for $375 through I believe LeMars out of Iowa. Good Sam's quoted me the highest at nearly $1000. Prior to that I was with Nationwide for around $600.
Old 11-13-2016, 06:19 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

GS quote was near double what I pay to Allied, but yours sounds like a good deal. If you are sure that quote is same or better coverage, and a year rather than 6 months, go for it.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 06:30 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Just get ready to change after they double your rate at renewal like they did me

No accidents, no changes, 800+ credit score... dunno their reasoning, but they won't have me back.
Old 11-13-2016, 06:48 PM   #10

Smile Xdieselbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgholson View Post
We had another insurance as well and requested quote from good Sam's and likewise were surprised on even better coverage for hundreds less.
xdieselbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 11:41 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I've got Good Sam and the rate has been cheaper than or equal too most that I have checked with. The advantage I like is that they will allow me to change the insurance when I put the MoHo up in winter storage. I usually get most of the insurance money back while in storage, but it is still covered but just not for driving around.
Since 2013 on a new 2014 it's been less than $800.
Old 11-15-2016, 07:17 AM   #12

I tried good sam and it was $300 a year higher for me here in FL. I also have replacement value coverage and good sam did not even have that. Always always always shop around and compare apples to apples. Every state/county/zip code will be different.
Old 11-15-2016, 07:40 AM   #13

We had Good Sam (National General), they were okay for the first year. Went up almost $400 2nd year, no accidents or claims. Couldn't give me a reason why. I changed to Hartford thru AARP. Annual on our 2001 Newmar Dutch Star was $626.07, $1000 deductible for Collision, and $250 deductible for Comprehensive. We had one windshield claim last year, excellent service. One claim this year for an awning that ripped off while traveling down the freeway . . . that's another story, anyway, awning and paint repair from damage when the awning left the coach was north of $13k. Quick response, great customer service, and paid off without a hitch as a Comprehensive claim. Not sure what my rates will do next year, but I highly recommend them!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 10:58 AM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Thought I would check again

Just for fun I thought I would check rates with GS again. Here is what I found. My present Insurance through AARP is $467 I just got a quote from National General Insurance (Good Sam) and the quote was $959 if you don't pay cash, and $792 if you pay it all at once. Lets see that would be $959 GS minus $467 = 492 More than present insurance if I don't pay cash. 0r if I pay cash $792 GS minus $467 = $325 More for Good Sam and the limits are lower than my present insurance. Like camping world everything Good Sam costs more. No wonder Lemonis gets big bonus. The only thing Good Sam has that is good in most cases is their ERS (Emergency Road Service) and that hasn't been that good for the past few years according to others.
Mel

Tags
insurance