Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2015, 10:26 PM   #15

OP - Your post would yield you more benefits, if you would add:

-Budget range
-Any special needs (Want to pull a 20' enclosed trailer with my library of congress competing library - etc.@!
-I want new
-I want used, but not more then 'x' or 'xx' years old. (Like no more then 4 years old. Or, no more then 10 years old.)

And, I'll add my opinions, which you for sure can ignore, and should, if you say 'Not for me, or us!':

-Go at least 36'
-Pick a budget range, and drop years to buy the best quality coach that you can within this budget range. Quality lasts.
-If used, leave a contingency fund, for 'Oh sh_t', as they happen. And, leave a fund allowance to do what I call 'Baseline catch up maintenance, or 'We've got to change this thing right now!, modifications. (Like, it it needs hoses, belts, tires. batteries, fluid/filter change, etc. Or, it has a green olive (add your color choice here.) Coconut and palm tree, with a dash of tiger, fabric theme on one specific chair/couch. THAT MUST BE CHANGED NOW!).

I also recommend, buying the biggest engine you can in the coach that you like. As they usually provide two key things:
1) Brake HP, via large BIG BLOCK compression. (Jake, 2 or 3 Stage on most mid to higher end coaches. Or, Transmission Retarder in the recommended Foretravel.)
2) Step up, to at least a side radiator coach in the pecking order, as well as a generator on a front slide out. (They'll save you a bundle on maintenance $$ over the years of ownership. And could, allow you to avoid a costly tow, or further delays on a roadside problem. Due to easier access to the bulk of the engine components.

Happy hunting, keep your questions coming! This gang has lots of knowledge, and are good at sharing it...
Smitty

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2015, 11:09 PM   #16

Thanks for the input everyone. Sounds like I need to be a bit more specific. These are things I want/need:
* Used - Not older than say 2002 or so. I think the design of most new coaches still looks outdated so as long as the engine, chassis, and other major components are good, I can work with appearance.
* Diesel pusher - we will be logging a lot of miles
* 34 feet or so
* Strong enough to tow a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (~4500-5000 lbs)
* Budget? I'm flexible. The budget question always baffles me. If I can get a coach with a quality engine, chassis, generator, etc. for say $60k, why would I pay $100k for a different one? Am I just paying for the name? Where does that extra money go?

Old 09-08-2015, 11:19 PM   #17

Smitty, why do you say to go at least 36ft? I already feel like I'm overdoing it at 34ft. I know a lot of people say that and then end up going bigger, but I like to think I'm not most people.
Old 09-09-2015, 12:07 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roamin Mike View Post
Smitty, why do you say to go at least 36ft? I already feel like I'm overdoing it at 34ft. I know a lot of people say that and then end up going bigger, but I like to think I'm not most people.
The difference between a 34ft rig and a 38 ft rig isn't much when you're driving it, but it can be very significant when it comes to floor plans.

If you want something small, Monaco used to make a Knight in the 32ft range. The problem there is that you can often find larger units for the same or nearly the same price.

BTW: another brand to look at in that age range would be Travel Supreme. They were bought by Jayco in 08 and rebranded as Entegra.
Old 01-21-2016, 09:57 PM   #19

Thanks to everyone who pitched in and offered their advice and input on my questions. I am now the proud owner of a 2004 Tiffin Allegro Bus 38TGP. I will post a couple of pics on the "New Rig Show-off" forum!
Old 01-21-2016, 10:04 PM   #20

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
2) Step up, to at least a side radiator coach in the pecking order, as well as a generator on a front slide out. (They'll save you a bundle on maintenance $$ over the years of ownership. And could, allow you to avoid a costly tow, or further delays on a roadside problem. Due to easier access to the bulk of the engine components.
Smitty
Or maybe not! Here's a picture of a rig like ours, you can see the "front" of the engine and that's about it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	engine compartment.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	214.9 KB
ID:	117022  
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 08:37 AM   #21

It's a very snowy morning here, so a good time to surf IRV2...

Mike, like me, is one of the small group who don't subscribe to the "Bigger is better" theory. Not to start a fight, since most owners love their larger coaches and like to say so. Mike's comment just emphasizes that there isn't a single answer to the size question, just like there isn't one answer for the gas vs. Diesel question. And, usually, it's entertaining to read the different responses to these topics

Quote:
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 11:47 AM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Hi all. New to the Forum. My significant other and I will be going full time around the beginning of 2016. We know we want a used Class A diesel pusher, but nothing too big (maybe 32-35 ft). Anybody have any suggestions on a good, reliable coach? Also, we plan on towing a 4door Jeep Wrangler. Should I have any concerns with towing power?
Something to check out. MHs in that length, will probably have the Cummins 5.9/6.7L engine and a fairly low tow rating and GCWR. The Wrangler might be too heavy.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 10:36 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
Something to check out. MHs in that length, will probably have the Cummins 5.9/6.7L engine and a fairly low tow rating and GCWR. The Wrangler might be too heavy.
The rig we ended up getting has the Cummins ISC 350hp. I think we will be okay pulling the Jeep. Actually, I know it will be okay. My only concern is how much will we slow down when pulling through the mountains. We'll make due.

Tags
diesel