Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2015, 12:04 AM   #1

Good times on the ferry

I've squeezed our 102" wide MH into some tight spots, but didn't realize what a problem it can be until driving onto a ferry with 96" wide lanes. Two workers guided me in, with the guy on the right motioning me to the left while the guy on the left side motioning to go right.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2015, 10:14 AM   #2

We're fortunate on the Washington State ferries because they carry a lot of big trucks. The lanes down the center section of the boat are wider. A real gotcha, though is your entry steps. We were lucky in that our MH was built when the steps could be disabled in the closed position. We were on a trip a couple of years ago, when folks in a new DP ahead of us opened the passenger door and the steps deployed into the driver's side of a fairly new Mercedes alongside them
Old 01-23-2015, 11:34 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiedoke View Post
I've squeezed our 102" wide MH into some tight spots, but didn't realize what a problem it can be until driving onto a ferry with 96" wide lanes. Two workers guided me in, with the guy on the right motioning me to the left while the guy on the left side motioning to go right.
Two guides???? This has got to be confusing! How do you know which one to look at?

On our trip on the Alaskan Ferry system, we got on at Haines. This was my first time putting my mh on a ferry and once in the parking area of the ferry, I had one guide. I made the mistake of taking a look into one of my mirrors and the guide slammed his palm into the front of the mh to get my attention. He then proceeded to chew my butt, and told me to watch him and him only. I'm not sure how he knew where the back of my mh was or how close I was getting to vehicles next to me, but he put me into a spot that I had only about six inches on the drivers side and about a foot on the passenger side. He warned me to deactivate my steps so they wouldn't come out when I tried to open the door. I could only open the door wide enough for me to squeeze out.

We also stopped at Junea, Sitka, and Ketchakan and at each spot, I only had one guide and you better believe I kept my eyes on him constantly!

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 11:38 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
What if your steps can't be turned off? (Mine can't).
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 11:59 AM   #5

We took the ferry out to the Outer Banks and the brilliant guides parked us on the left side of the ferry, "NEXT" to the center partition. About 3 inches which of course did not allow for the door to open. So on a 97 degree day we could not get out and was told I had to shut down the generator. Uh Huh right, come in and turn it off if you can but the A/C is staying on.
Old 01-23-2015, 12:13 PM   #6

There is a ferry across a narrow channel between Aransas Pass, and Port Aransas in South Texas. Anything from a one-ton dually and wider has to straddle two lanes. No problem.

Ken Gasbarri
Old 01-23-2015, 02:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankdamp View Post
We're fortunate on the Washington State ferries because they carry a lot of big trucks. The lanes down the center section of the boat are wider. A real gotcha, though is your entry steps. We were lucky in that our MH was built when the steps could be disabled in the closed position. We were on a trip a couple of years ago, when folks in a new DP ahead of us opened the passenger door and the steps deployed into the driver's side of a fairly new Mercedes alongside them
How did you NOT deploy the steps? I know how to leave the out, but not how to keep them in when you open the door. Ours should work the same as yours did unless they changed in the 2 years or the workhorse is different than the Ford.

Even though we live on the island, we have not taken the ferry yet. Easier and cheaper to take the bridge. But one of these days we will want to go to the Olympic Peninsula.
coupevilleDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 03:22 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by coupevilleDF View Post
Even though we live on the island, we have not taken the ferry yet. Easier and cheaper to take the bridge. But one of these days we will want to go to the Olympic Peninsula.
Yep, never intend to take the ferry, just don't need the hassle or expense.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 03:44 PM   #9

I'd like to do it just for the boat ride
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 05:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by datrbone8 View Post
I'd like to do it just for the boat ride
I did that yesterday round trip with the truck to run errands. Just not with the GT. Only a 15 minute ride.
coupevilleDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 05:49 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
We have seen coaches on the Cape May- Lewes Ferry get parked near a post where they cannot get out. When we are in a group. I try to park then go and make sure others are ok. Sometimes if your stuck by a post you can turn the wheels Hard all the way and inch forward so you can get out.
cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 05:57 PM   #12

The long-route ferry from Sidney Nova Scotia to Newfoundland is an ocean going vessel. Takes 14 hours one-way. It has 8 lanes each, of semi's and RV's on two decks with an additional outside lane for autos and motorcycles, and one deck for autos only. I think my pucker factor was at maximum being this was my first ferry trip. Some of use MH's had to zig-zag to miss each others mirrors entering/exiting the ferry. I was amazed at how laid-back and yet fully-alert, the deck hands were at directing this operation.
The deck hands did goof however. They parked a MH with handicap tags right next to a bulkhead. No way to get the wheelchair out of the MH. They had to stop the loading procedure for 35 minutes, back some semi's and MH's out of the ship/ferry, reposition the handicap MH so the ramp could be deployed, then resume loading.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 06:31 PM   #13

Only 1 ferry ride so far across the James River in VA. Fun. With the C we could get out the cab doors but I would not have wanted to get in the house door. ;-)
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 10:00 PM   #14

Good times on the ferry

We have some paint on our driver side mirror that belongs on a Washington State Ferry. Loved the ride to San Juan Island, especially since the National Park Service paid the fare!
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote