Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2013, 05:51 PM   #1

Goodbye TT, Hello Class A, but which one?

Just recently sold my TT and now in the Market for a used Class A.

I have found some great tips on this site, but I guess the million dollar question is, and strictly on opinion, which brands would you shy away from? Not trying to start a debate on brand loyalty, just doing some research.

I know what folks say about opinions, but would love to hear yours.

We are more leaning toward gas MH as we live in the south and are just weekend warriors.

My ears are open.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2013, 05:58 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Darn, so much depends on your budget and new or used, gas or diesel. Just too many variables yet. Have to supply a little more info.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:59 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: KM Parks in Western Washington and Yuma,Az for the Winter
I'm on my 3rd Winnibago rig so my opinion probably wouldn't help you much.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:00 PM   #4

Budget 50K or less, mentioned that we were leaning toward gas as we are just weekend warriors.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:01 PM   #5

We were in the same boat last year. Ended up buying a 2006 Winnebago Voyage 33v on a Ford Chassis. We liked the floorplan and features including dual roof-mount heat pumps. There are a lot of floorplans out there. Go find one the meets your needs/budget.
Sierra5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:25 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Tough question! My wife and I started in a tent and moved to a 23 foot TT, to a 36 foot fifth wheel and pick up our Fleetwood 38B on Friday. You have to consider your budget, needs (how many will it sleep), if you will be dry camping or mostly in full hook-ups, gas or diesel will depend on how long you will keep it and how much use you will truly use it, and how far you plan to go. Will you do a few trips a year because you are still working full time or are you close to retirement. All factors as well as the price need to be considered. Also, what are YOU comfortable with regarding price and maintenance or driving.
So many questions and it is not an easy decision. You can obviously spend as much or as little as you want. The biggest advice I can say is to be sure you are happy with what you need and buy because as you will see there are many good used units for sale.
Good luck with your decision, take your time, once you have bought it...enjoy and be safe!
Keep us posted on your progress.
RTinVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:33 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rather looking at what you shouldn't look at I'll give my 2 cents of what maybe you should look at. 1. Newmar , 2. Winnebago, 3. Fleetwood now that is just my suggestion. Good luck shopping and don't forget, get the floorplan that will work best for you. Let us know how it all goes.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:42 PM   #8

Newmar or Tiffin
Rodneykrantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:42 PM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
On our 2nd Winnebago. So glad we no longer have to deal with a TT. More fun also. Anyway you will have lots of opinions on brands, gas vs. diesel, size an options. Looking at used, I have seen some units have a "smell" that is well... not nice. Watch out for "stinky" used RV's. Settle on a floor plan that you like. Also some used RV's have "upgrades" added on, like flat screen TV, etc. Rather than you doing the upgrade TV swap...look for this have already been done. Mileage and tires. Would not want to dump $$$ into new tires right off the get go. I have seen mileage below 10,000 on some 4/5 year old RV's...owners just did not use the units. Diesel ride nicely have lots of power, but fuel cost more, their fuel tanks are bigger (add $ to fuel purchases while on the road), Oil changes and fuel filters are more expensive, repairs are also more expensive.
Anyway good luck looking...it's fun and you will have lots of choices.
Happy trails....
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:54 PM   #10

Folks the couple of comments that I have gotten thus far is already verifying what I am thinking.

I really appreciate the info folks.

Please keep the comments coming !
Old 09-25-2013, 07:08 PM   #11

One other question, what would you expect on average the percentage that the dealer will come off the price?
Old 09-25-2013, 07:21 PM   #12

Rule #1 , DW has to be happy , with both the kitchen and the entire floor plan.
Rule #2. See rule 1.
Rule #3. Do not allow DW into an RV above you budget, or you will fall victim to rule 1 & 2

JMHO; You should be able to have a choice of multiple units with your budget. Take your time, take notes as you tour through units ( even pictures ) you will start to confuse the units after the first 3 or 4.
BTW: you know you've looked at to many RV's , when you know the floor plan by the window placement when you walk up to the unit.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:24 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by drakethib View Post
One other question, what would you expect on average the percentage that the dealer will come off the price?
I can't really say for sure , in your area. Here a cash deal ( or if you handle your own financing ) 20 to 25 %. Most dealer pricing is padded for trade-in deals.
Old 09-26-2013, 04:46 AM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good advice from Skip. Yes, you will after shopping for just one day go home and forget which one had what. It will be overwhelming and you need to track what units you like best. My wife and I put sleeping number first, then I considered longevity and reliability of the motor, trans, and drive, followed by kitchen appliances, finishes and small comforts. But that is just us. I used the internet "favorites" to track what we liked. Skip suggested taking pictures of units you liked. That is great if you can. It seemed to me the best deals moved quickly so you may not have alot of time to sit and thing if you find what is actually a great deal on a nice used unit. It will sell if you do not buy it! Let us know how you do.
RTinVa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a