Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2016, 02:58 AM   #43
RV LIFE Support Team

We used Goodyear for years and then switched to Toyo, much better ride and quieter and less $$

Check on Trailer Tire and Wheel in Eden Ohio. In the past a lot of people recommended them for tires.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2016, 08:30 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
anyone else having problems with the new goodyear tires?
I would not have believed it, but I had vibration issues from day one. See: "Loose King Pins?" and most recently my comments on "Vibration in the rear of the coach" and "well waddaya Know. Vibration fixed".

The goodyear 670s were causing most of the issues I was having with vibration: Ford found defective King pins and an out-of-balance drive shaft which only changed the problems minimally. Tires were swapped around and the dealership even changed the steer tires (with GY 670s)

The shop I used for the final solution would not even consider "fixing the vibration" until I got rid of the 670's. The owner drove the rig and had two of his mechanics confirm independently that what I was feeling was "all tires"....and it was.

I tried finding objective measurements of some kind, but even with runout measured (by me) within spec, the vibration app I got for my phone showed an 11hz peak area (tires/wheels). Wheels had been road-forced multiple times and Goodyear even replaced the 670's with a completely new set of 670's and they were mounted and road-force balanced by a Goodyear Wingfoot truck shop without a change in the issue.

The light truck shop swapped them out for Michelins. No more vibration. Steering wheel solid. Only conclusion at this point: GY 670s were causing my issues.

LVRVLUVR changed out his 670s to GY 610s and got rid of his vibration. The Light Truck Service guy said the GY 670s should not be put on RV's, the sidewalls are too stiff. He fixed it by changing tire brands, so what can I say?
Old 06-17-2016, 06:57 PM   #45

Tiffin Owners Club
I am having a vibration issue at 60+ mph and want to replace the Goodyears. I have 19.5s so I have only found a Michelin replacement, which I am fine with, but I wouldn't mind some options. The bigger problem is finding someone who can put them on.
Old 06-18-2016, 01:11 PM   #46

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
If you do research on any RV tire you will find page after page of problems on all tires that have multiple RV users...like GY and Michelin. I've had both, can't see much difference.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 01:53 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
If you do research on any RV tire you will find page after page of problems on all tires that have multiple RV users...like GY and Michelin. I've had both, can't see much difference.

Ditto it's all in opinions.
Old 06-18-2016, 02:20 PM   #48

Winnebago Owners Club
We are on our 2nd set of GY's First set aged out and second set is rolling along just fine. Could be luck of the draw, but were happy.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 07:06 PM   #49

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
My 670 GY's about three years out ... smooth ride no problems.
Safe-T-Plus
Pa Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 04:57 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 10:21 AM   #51

Monaco Owners Club
My front GY G670's (late 2011 date) started noticeable "rivering" wear at about 10,000 miles and by 20,000 they were getting really bad so I replace them with Toyo's. The rears are also "rivering" but not as bad as the fronts did. I will run them for another year or so and replace them too.
Old 06-19-2016, 11:04 AM   #52

Bought the rig new and ran the original Michelin 19.5s over 11 years. No full time, yet, so it only gets driven occasionally. Less than 18,000 miles today. I keep the MH under cover but didn't realize that i should have replaced the tires sooner. Even so, they never gave me any problems, no flats, no wear problems, no anything.

I really wanted to replace with the same tires but the price of them was just too high. After a lot of reading and research, i finally decided on Bridgestone R250s (yea, i know they're glorified Firestones). I will say that they provide a little bit firmer ride, otherwise, they're looking and doing fine so far.
Mudfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 11:49 PM   #53

Monaco Owners Club
Well, I gotta admit, I thought you were crazy having all those tire issues on that many rigs. However, last year I got a new to me 08 Beaver Contessa and it had a vibration in it. It felt like tires, but since the tires were ready to age out even though only 18k on them I wasn't too worried about it. Not knowing the pedigree of the tires with the PO and whether he had maintained them or damaged them with high/low pressure, curbs, etc, I decided to replace the vibrating Goodyear G670's with the same thing. I got all 6 new Goodyears G670's on and I still had the vibration. I took it to a very good chassis shop and they found 3 bad tires!!!! The chassis guy said that the Goodyears were known to have lots of problems and he recommended Bridgetone Ecopia R268 tires. So I had all 6 brand new Goodyears replaced with the Bridgestones and the vibration is gone. Needless to say, I'm now on board with the NEVER GOODYEAR crowd that is growing larger by the day.

P.S. The Bridgestone's even ride a little better than the Goodyear's, I'd say about 20% better in fact.

FunGus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems, problems