Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-15-2015, 11:57 AM   #15
Triple E Owners Club
Originally Posted by JSW View Post
Anyone have experience with Hankooks on the front? My G670 are rivering and I need to change.
I put all 6 new hankooks on last year to replace rivering goodyears. So far I am very happy with them.

1999 Triple E Commander 3503FS on 20,500 F53.
RodK is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2015, 11:58 AM   #16
I would go with Hankooks

1998 36ft Country Coach Magna #5499
Gillig chassis with a Detroit series 40
2002 F250 CC 7.3 PSD
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 12:23 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
YES, you are correct!

TIRE threads, which there are probably millions of them by now, get beat to death here way too often.

Additionally, there have been documented problems with just about every RV tire manufacture in the world.

Plus everyone has their own opinions. My advice is to get whatever you want and that you can afford. If you're not happy then change until you find a brand that you like.

Chances are whatever you decide on you could have one problem or another. Different models, different sizes, different inflation tables, different weight loads, different applications for each tire so what works for one person may not work for another.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
2002 Monaco Windsor PBT 40Ft. (R HOME) - 30Ft. 2006 Pace Trailer (R JUNK). Trailer Has 06 VUE (R TOWD) 04 Victory Alen Ness Edition (R RYDE). Full-Timer for 14 Yr's BUT now a Part-Timer. Cummins ISC-350 With Banks Power Pack and Upgraded PRXB PacBrake.
Winter Home in Flagler Beach FL - Now Staying in Dansville NY for the Summer.
Dr4Film is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 01:00 PM   #18
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
Newmar Owners Club
I've not had any experience with Michellin. In 38 years or RVing and 42 years of driving, I think I've only had one set of Michellin tires on a car, but I now have the XRV's on my new coach. I'll see how they hold up.

I had Goodyears on my previous DP and they'll NEVER see another dollar of my money. As steer tires I had nothing but issues with "rivering". I finally went with the Hankooks and loved them. They were softer riding than the Goodyears, balanced up better and had over 20K on them before I sold the coach. Two sets of Goodyear front tires went bad under 20K and showed the "rivering" at 10K - 15K.
Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star - All Electric - 450 ISL
2016 GMC Canyon 4WD Crew Cab
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 01:17 AM   #19

I have just over 14,000 on my Michelin XRV's and they are still looking and driving good. Just got back from a month long adventure to the west coast with not a bit of trouble. 19.5" 225 on my Hurricane 30Q running 85PSI in all 6 of them. They replaced 9 year old Goodyears that had 37,000 miles on them. The Goodyears were getting very bad cracking on the sides and in the tread.

Just Another Old Doggy, Don
2004 Hurricane 30Q F53 V10
2009 KarKaddy SS
2011 Chevy Malibu
OldDoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 07:03 AM   #20
Monaco Owners Club
Originally Posted by trode View Post
I read somewhere recently that Goodyear "requires" use of Dyna Beads in newly installed 670 RV tires, not sure if true. But, if you do use Dyna Beads should they be spin balanced or is that not appropriate?

Leaning toward the 670rv's up front, just because of how well the old ones did. Reading too much about sidewall cracking on Mich, and looked at my buddies MH with XRV's and see they are sidewall cracking after about 3 years and he stores inside, climate controlled.

Someone below mentioned G647 GY, which I have on drive axle on mine, but not sure if they are appropriate for steer tire, and I do not see them on the Goodyear RV tire website, not sure if they still make them.

When you get your new tires just have the Dyna Beads put in and your done.
Del & Lori & Millie, (our miniature Aussie) 2007 Diplomat 40PDQ - 2009 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, US Gear Unified Tow Brake.
hardy1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 09:10 AM   #21
Commercial Member
As a tire engineer w/40 years in industry I have never heard of any tire manufacturer "requiring" the addition of internal balance powder/beads/sand.
Retired Design & Quality Tire Eng. Read my tire blog RVTireSafety.com to learn more about RV tires, valves & wheels. Read THIS post on why Tires Fail
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 09:07 AM   #22
My 6 Goodyear G670's are all showing uneven wear on both edges. I am assuming this is what people are referring to as rivering or cupping. Otherwise, they look perfect after 9 years.

In my research for new tires, I discovered that more than 1000 Fleetwood coaches were recalled to have the steer 275/70/22.5's replaced with 275/80's due to weight issues. They also approved 80's all around. The original 7.5 inch wide rims were not replaced.

Looking at the G670 specs, the 70's are specified for 7.5" rims, but the 80's are specified for 8.25" rims. Could the installation of larger tires on smaller rims lead to this uneven wear?
TwelveVolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 05:59 AM   #23
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
Because my 6 Goodyear tires lasted 8+ years with no sidewall cracks years and my 6 Michelin XZEs only 3 1/2.... IMO $150 more for 2 Goodyear tires that will last twice as long are a no-brainer.
'96 Safari
Just because you don't see any side wall cracks doesn't mean they are safe. My goodyears had (0) zero side wall cracks and it still went boom.
2007 Fleetwood Revolution LE 40V
Tha_Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 07:25 AM   #24
Fleetwood Owners Club
My G670's that were replaced after 10 years 3 months never did have a boom with any of them.
I did have 2 boom's with XRV's before they were 6 years old.

OH!! The G670's were replaced with another set of G670's.
When they need replaced the MH will be almost 27 years old.

99 Discovery 34Q ISB
2014 MKS AWD EcoBoost Toad
Fulltime Since "99"
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote