Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2013, 01:43 PM   #1

Goodyear G288 Tires

I'm in the process of tire shopping to replace the crack Michelin XRV's. Now my tires on the 07 Fleetwood Southwind 32v are:

Michelin 235/80-22.5 G XRV

One of the quotes I received was for the Goodyear G288 but the tire size seemed different....the owner said it would be fine;

Goodyear 255/70-22.5 H G288 MSA

Can anyone offer comments on the different in size and also that Goodyear model?

Thanks for your input..

Ron

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2013, 02:16 PM   #2

Carolina Campers
I am not able to comment about GY tires,

Regardless, here is a recent experience regarding my Michelin tires on my toad SUV....

I noticed that they were showing some wear when on a trip up to IA, SD, and NE last month.

I went into Costco (where I purchased the previous set from). I thought, it could not be that long since I bought those tires. They looked them up and found that I bought them in 2008, and I had 33K on my odometer. This means it was 5 years ago and 67K odometer miles (plus another 10K as a toad). They were only rated for 65K.

I looked at Costco, Sam's, and two other tire shops. Come to find out, I would save less than $100 for the set to replace them with tires that have far less, or no mileage rating.

I ended up replacing them with another set of Michelins that now say that they are rated for 75K... Therefore, these should far outlive this toad...

Old 10-05-2013, 03:46 PM   #3

I just looked at the tires on the neighbor's Allegro Bus and they're 245/75-22.5 so I guess they're a bit wider (.75") than stock and with a sidewall 5mm shorter.

Doesn't seem like a bit difference to me...
Old 10-05-2013, 04:05 PM   #4

Check the height of the tire for both sizes. I replaced Mitchlens with Yokahomas and found them to be .5 inches in difference. The micholens were 255 r80 x22.5 and the yokes were 265r75x 22.5.
Old 10-05-2013, 04:21 PM   #5

I think the fit is okay..after all I don't imagine the owner of a large tire company would install a tire which isn't the right fit. It's the G288 model of the Goodyear which concerns me, it's more of a commercial tire (Multi Service Application) for haulers etc with a self sealing puncture feature. I don't want something that's going to be a bad ride.
Old 10-05-2013, 05:07 PM   #6

There is a small difference in overall diameter, Michelin's = 37.1, 556 RPM/mile and Goodyear = 36.7, 566 RPM/mile.
Goodyear describes the G288 tire as.
Outstanding Performance In Off-Highway Rough Road Conditions.
Why not look at the Michelin XZE tires or Goodyear G661 HSA.
Michelin XZE comes in the OEM size. Goodyear does not.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:18 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Goodyear recommends the 245/75 as a substitute for 235/80. See
Size Conversions - Goodyear RV

That size gives 560/revs/mile, nearly dead on with the 235/80.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvik View Post
I think the fit is okay..after all I don't imagine the owner of a large tire company would install a tire which isn't the right fit. It's the G288 model of the Goodyear which concerns me, it's more of a commercial tire (Multi Service Application) for haulers etc with a self sealing puncture feature. I don't want something that's going to be a bad ride.

do you mind telling us the price they are quoting for the tires? I need to replace mine next year probably and Kal Tire Said about $390 + tax and balance/install for Goodyear but didn't tell me which model number.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:21 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by koresample View Post
do you mind telling us the price they are quoting for the tires? I need to replace mine next year probably and Kal Tire Said about $390 + tax and balance/install for Goodyear but didn't tell me which model number.
I'm down on Long Beach WA right now, gorgeous weather, so from memory the quote was from Fountain Tire (they're on the mainland too) for 6 x 235/80-22.5 tires. Taxes included it was $3600.

I decided against it as this model was not their RV line but more of a commercial on/off road etc. I managed to get Kal Tire down to $3800 taxes in to replace the existing Michelin XRV after a rebate on my old ones. Yes, it would have been cheaper at Superior Tire in Portland, with the FMCA/Michelin deal but as my sidewalls were cracking on this unit I didn't want to do the risk/reward thing on a white knuckle drive for 340 miles......

Tags
tires