Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2012, 01:59 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Goodyear G670 Built in UV Protection. Donít bet on it!

Recently purchased (4) Michelin Energy tires for my 2007 Monaco Knight. Went through Monaco International for excellent pricing. When they remove the Goodyear G670 passenger outside dual tire it showed a ľĒ gap where the tire was separating. The tire DOT showed 1606 so they were just over six years old. I decided to post thread to show one, not sure how much the anti-oxidant crap works and two, you just don't know the condition of your tires no matter what you think. I have included a photo of the tires in question. These photos show the tire off the rim. When the tire was inflated, you could put your little finger in the gap. I was very lucky not to have a major incident. I have wheel covers and use them as much as possible. I can only assume that our coach was a year old when we purchased it in 07.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	031612104931.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	20090   Click image for larger version

Name:	031612104944.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	20091  

chiefdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2012, 02:33 PM   #2

So if the cracks are hidden between the duals (must not be on the outside where you'd have seen it early) then I'm not suspecting sun damage. Cracks like that seem to make me think of underinflation and heat damage. Is it possible that's what caused this?

I also have a model year 07 MH with the same tire brand and model and have no cracks. I examine mine regularly on both sides of each dual and both sides of each single tire.

Ken

Old 04-16-2012, 02:50 PM   #3

If I've seen one, I've seen a hundred...

I worked in the trucking industry for "many years", and I've been hearing that GY had their "Bead Cracking" issue resolved for over 20 + years now.....
DUH
Old 04-16-2012, 02:57 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Hmmm, where the sun don't shine? My Goodyear G670 are showing no signs of sidewall cracking at 4 years. Michelins on a previous coach looked much worse at 4 years.
MuckSavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:25 PM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
OTH our Michelins looked pretty good after 8+ years. Some checking but not to the point of absolutely needing replacement. I did, however, need a hard to find size I ordered early and changed when they came in.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:52 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I am extremely diligent of checking my tire pressure the morning of every departure. I also check the inflation loads from the manufacturer website to make sure they are inflated correctly. I was amazed to see this condition. As mentioned, I also use wheel covers.
chiefdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:24 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

We have talked about this many times before.....since it is between the two tires it is NOT UV damage, and since the tire pressures are keept up it is not from underinflation. The problem is caused by lack of "blooming". The term blooming is given to the process of bringing the oils and chemicals in the rubber to the surface so the rubber does not dry out and crack. Blooming is caused by the tire being heated and flexed while being driven. If you don't drive the MH enough or it sits for extended times then you don't get blooming and the tires dry out and crack. bThis is why owners of the same brand/model tire say my tires cracked or my tires didn't crack because some are getting enough blooming and some are not. I am also sure the type climate that the MH spends its time in also has an effect on the amount of blooming. In drag racing we force this blooming by doing a burnout to heat the tires before we make a run. The oils coming to the surface give us more traction.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:59 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
If you don't drive the MH enough or it sits for extended times then you don't get blooming and the tires dry out and crack.
Is there a consensus of how frequently and for how long you should drive to induce blooming?
IMDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:49 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Don't think it is that easy to define. Driving hard for one or two months all together out of twelve months is probably not the answer
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:04 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Don't think it is that easy to define. Driving hard for one or two months all together out of twelve months is probably not the answer
Clearly. I was just wondering if twice a month for a couple of hours at highway speeds, or something along those lines, would be enough or should it be more frequently and/or longer.
IMDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:26 PM   #11

[QUOTE=Mike Canter;1146051]We have talked about this many times Blooming is caused by the tire being heated and flexed while being driven. If you don't drive the MH enough or it sits for extended times then you don't get blooming and the tires dry out and crack.

The tractor/trailers and dollies in our fleets were running virtually 24/7 and the GY tires were pretty much the only ones that had the bead cracks evident.
"Blooming"??
This is why the tires I purchased for replacements were not GY....mainly B/Stone Toyo, Michelin, some Continental.
JMHO.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:24 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
We have talked about this many times before.....since it is between the two tires it is NOT UV damage, and since the tire pressures are keept up it is not from underinflation. The problem is caused by lack of "blooming". The term blooming is given to the process of bringing the oils and chemicals in the rubber to the surface so the rubber does not dry out and crack. Blooming is caused by the tire being heated and flexed while being driven. If you don't drive the MH enough or it sits for extended times then you don't get blooming and the tires dry out and crack. bThis is why owners of the same brand/model tire say my tires cracked or my tires didn't crack because some are getting enough blooming and some are not. I am also sure the type climate that the MH spends its time in also has an effect on the amount of blooming. In drag racing we force this blooming by doing a burnout to heat the tires before we make a run. The oils coming to the surface give us more traction.
I know for race tires there are different chemicals you can purchase to increase tire life/traction... even ones that have "heat cycled" out.

On a street tire there is a finite amount of life unless the storage climate is extremely moderate. Even tires that never see sunlight in my parts shed... seem to age because of the extreme temps. Tires stored in my climate controlled garage are in far better shape (same exact model tire)
Old 04-16-2012, 09:05 PM   #13

If the OP's G670's are like mine, the DOT Code will be on the outside of the rear duals.

I.E. this is the face of the tire that we see everytime we look at it.

Dave
1998 American Eagle 40EVS
Old 04-16-2012, 09:28 PM   #14

Maybe we should rotate our tires after every trip, say like if it was 1000 miles round trip. That way we could at least see the inside tire on the duels after rotating.
Neil