Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2009, 10:21 AM   #15

Goodyear G 670 tires are not a good choice for steering tires. They are well known for "rivering" on the outside edge of the right front tire and somewhat on the left. I even show signs of rivering on the rear outside dual. They will not stand behind this problem. Most truckers will not use this tire. I was looking at new motorhomes the other day with approx. 6000 miles on them and the tires were already showing this problem.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2009, 10:47 AM   #16

I've read several posts on this and other forums regarding issues with the 670's. We replaced the Michelin's on our first coach with Bridgestones and the Goodyear G159's on our present coach with Bridgestones R250F Load range G, and have had excellent service from them. You might want to give them some considertion.

Best of luck with your replacement tire choice,

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 11:12 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Sounds to me like he wants to get out of his obligation. G670 is going strong.
Old 05-31-2009, 01:01 PM   #18

Thanks, Joe,

I did go back and get the Sumotomos. Too good a deal to pass up. Sorry I did not post that earlier!

Harold

hdossett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 07:16 PM   #19
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
hdossett...Just read this a little late.......You should know that almost EVERY tire dealer will tell you that the tire is not adjustable because of mechanical issues. Two things are happening.....One, they send it in for adjustment after you leave and profit. Two....they are a dealer for GoddYear, but too lazy to handle the adjustment. I had a GoodYear dealer tell me my tire was out of alignment after only 3000 miles. Having sold tires when i was younger and knowing the ins and outs, I asked them to explain how a perfectly wearing tire was out of alignment after 3000 miles.

They said they would check....I demanded that they have the local GoodYear represenative call me with his findings....Guess what...they adjusted my tire......I know it's too late now, but if you have an issue again, keep this in mind.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 08:06 PM   #20

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
You should know that almost EVERY tire dealer will tell you that the tire is not adjustable because of mechanical issues.
Come on Don, I've been in the tire business in the San Joaquin Valley for 27 years. Most tire dealers treat a customer right.

Here is the problem with adjusting a tire that is not blatantly defective....you ( a generic person, not Diplomat Don) say it is defective workmanship, John (a tire dealer) says that from his 40 years experience, that it is loose front -end parts. John gives you credit for an adjustment, say 50%, and you drive away with a tire that cost John $100 that John collected $71 on. No profit

If the tire is rejected by the manufacturer, John gets NO money. Now you are 3,000 miles away, you (again a generic person, not Don) are going to send John a check right?.

So many dealers will wait for a determination and then do the honest thing and rebate the customer.

Kind of a rock and a hard spot if you didn't buy the tires, in the first place, from the dealer trying to help you out.

In truth, most tires are bullet proof for what they are subjected to...curbs, potholes, low air pressure, too high of air pressure, overloading, not rotating.

So I'd feel better if the words "almost every", which is a pretty big category, hadn't been used.

Watching out for my customers profit

Just trying to show the other side.

Here is some interesting reading. Not all is related to us RV'ers. But you might want to read about valve extensions and ambulances.

Bridgestone Commercial Truck Tires
Old 06-12-2009, 02:42 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
tom, thanks for posting the Bridgetone link. it was very informative.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 08:15 PM   #22

Ok silly question.............what exactly is rivering of a tire? The reason I ask is I have the G670's on our Cayman and it has always seemingly pulled a bit to the right, had alignment checked last week and all is good they say. The right front tire is showing some wear on the outer corner as well. The shop suggested maybe trying to rotate tires though I was pressed for time.

Tony2
Old 06-16-2009, 09:46 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony2 View Post
Ok silly question.............what exactly is rivering of a tire? The reason I ask is I have the G670's on our Cayman and it has always seemingly pulled a bit to the right, had alignment checked last week and all is good they say. The right front tire is showing some wear on the outer c

orner as well. The shop suggested maybe trying to rotate tires though I was pressed for time.

Tony2
Tony, see here for rivering.

http://www.kaltire.com/commercial/me...es/erosion.php
Old 06-16-2009, 11:11 PM   #24

Alpine Owners Club
Thank you for posting that Jim. River wear IS normal wear. Rotation can usually correct the wear by moving the two front tires to the drive axle.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:24 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom and Patty View Post
Thank you for posting that Jim. River wear IS normal wear. Rotation can usually correct the wear by moving the two front tires to the drive axle.
Excessive rivering, which happens with Goodyear G670 tires is not normal. It is improper tire design. I have seen 670 tires on new motorhomes with only 6000 miles on them showing rivering. My 2006 Diplomat has 24000 miles on it and the right front is excessive. I have looked at other motor homes with other brands and they do not show this problem. If this wear patter was normal, I find it odd that when these tires are replaced with a different brand on the same motor home, it does not happen.

Neil
2006 Monaco Diplomat
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
LIFE ROCKS WHEN YOUR LIVING ROOM ROLLS
Old 11-22-2010, 07:25 AM   #26

Good luck on the tires! We ordered our Challenger 355 in Dec 2006 and received it in Jan 07. Ours came with Goodyear G670's date coded 2806. We had no problem till this summer. Had a inner dual sidewall blowout at 17,800 miles. Goodyear has a 6 year warranty against defects, so they paid a good portion of the price for a new tire. Defective tire?, it happens. Another 130 miles and we had another tire blowout, this time a steering wheel. Blowout was in the same spot on the sidewall. We had that one replaced on the road, thanks to good sam's road side service. Made it to the campgrounds and I took time to inspect the remaining 4 tires. Found the sidewall bubbling on another one. I've worked with Goodyear on the remaining tires, they claim there is no issue with that series of tires, but they decided to replace all my remaining tires with new ones at no charge. So those of you with Goodyear G670's might want to look at your tires.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:09 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2pedersens View Post
Goodyear G 670 tires are not a good choice for steering tires. They are well known for "rivering" on the outside edge of the right front tire and somewhat on the left. I even show signs of rivering on the rear outside dual. They will not stand behind this problem. Most truckers will not use this tire. I was looking at new motorhomes the other day with approx. 6000 miles on them and the tires were already showing this problem.
I had river wear on my three year old G670 steer tires. Goodyear replaced them prorating 5/32 wear. I thought that was really good because river wear isn't really a problem. It will eventually even out as the tire wears.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:37 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeT View Post
I had river wear on my three year old G670 steer tires. Goodyear replaced them prorating 5/32 wear. I thought that was really good because river wear isn't really a problem. It will eventually even out as the tire wears.
Hi Joe, I had 18,000 miles on my set and didn't notice river wear on my set. I did do a aligment and balance after the first 2,000 miles on my OEM set.

melving is offline   Reply With Quote