Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2018, 11:43 AM   #1

Goodyear MH tire investigation

From the AP:
DETROIT (AP) — U.S. safety regulators are investigating whether some Goodyear motor home tires can fail and cause crashes and possibly deaths. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration says it began the probe after a court ordered the release of Goodyear data from lawsuits, which had been sealed under court orders and confidential settlement agreements. According to the data, the G159 tires failed while in use, resulting in deaths and injuries. The agency says in documents posted Jan. 1 that the number of claims suggests the failures could be caused by a safety defect. END QUOTE

IMO, they should also investigate the GY RV670 tires, especially in size 295/80R22.5, because there have been MANY reports of them failing. I know of at least one coach that was totaled after their GY steer tire blew out. The original set on my Spartan chassis steer axle were replaced under warranty because NOBODY could balance them, and I have now replaced them with a different brand because I never could eliminate the vibration and "wheel hop" from one of the replacements.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2018, 11:47 AM   #2

Our GY are 670-and are dated 2010. Is the 673 an updated model?
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 12:04 PM   #3

[QUOTE=cruzbill;3970847]Our GY are 670-and are dated 2010. Is the 673 an updated model?[/QUOTE]
NO. You are correct, it is my typo. Should have said GY 670RV.

What size are yours?

The GY tires that seem to have a high failure rate are 295/80-22.5 and were / are used on the steer axle of the Spartan MM / K2-(450) chassis as specified by Entegra (and perhaps other OEMs, too).
Old 01-02-2018, 12:37 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
From the AP:
DETROIT (AP) — U.S. safety regulators are investigating whether some Goodyear motor home tires can fail and cause crashes and possibly deaths. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration says it began the probe after a court ordered the release of Goodyear data from lawsuits, which had been sealed under court orders and confidential settlement agreements. According to the data, the G159 tires failed while in use, resulting in deaths and injuries. The agency says in documents posted Jan. 1 that the number of claims suggests the failures could be caused by a safety defect. END QUOTE

IMO, they should also investigate the GY RV670 tires, especially in size 295/80R22.5, because there have been MANY reports of them failing. I know of at least one coach that was totaled after their GY steer tire blew out. The original set on my Spartan chassis steer axle were replaced under warranty because NOBODY could balance them, and I have now replaced them with a different brand because I never could eliminate the vibration and "wheel hop" from one of the replacements.

Since I had a GY blow where did you find many reports on 670’s blowing.
Old 01-02-2018, 12:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
Since I had a GY blow where did you find many reports on 670’s blowing.
Most of the reports of the GY 670RV tire problems are in multiple threads over in the Entegra owner's forum here on iRV2.com. Among others, the thread that helped me decide to replace mine is here: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/stee...ut-353688.html

In addition to my frustration with the ride and handling troubles I had with BOTH sets of GY tires on my steer axle, I just did not feel safe continuing to use them, and spent the money to replace them with another brand to gain at least some peace of mind. Constantly worrying about a blow out is no way to travel, IMO.

You can try a forum search to find the other threads, but that feature doesn't seem to work very well, even though a Google search will bring you back to iRv2 and will likely show more threads than does the forum search.
Old 01-02-2018, 02:47 PM   #6

Mine are GY 670 295/80R/22.5

Tires have a date of 2010. They were on the Beaver when we bought it in 2015.

No problems with any of 'em. I run 115 psi in my steers, 13880# per 4 corner weight. No TPMS yet (Thought Ms. Claus might drop one in my stocking, wonder what I did to go from Nice to Naughty?)

Could the Entegra tire failures be due to underinflation??
Old 01-02-2018, 04:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzbill View Post

No problems with any of 'em. I run 115 psi in my steers, 13880# per 4 corner weight. No TPMS yet (Thought Ms. Claus might drop one in my stocking, wonder what I did to go from Nice to Naughty?)

Could the Entegra tire failures be due to underinflation??
Glad you had good luck with yours. I can't speak for those that have had blowouts, but most EC owners seem to know about weights and pressures required.
Obviously, I have no proof of any defect, but my OE tires were made 2815 and installed on a chassis built in November 2015. In June 2016, EC and Spartan agreed to replace them because even the Goodyear Wingfoot location could not balance them. Replacement tires installed in TX were made the same week as the OE and had the same problem-never could get one of them to roll smoothly. The tires I bought recently do.

For me, there were too many other owners of similar coaches reporting problems. For all I know, there may have been just a bad batch of tires made during that time period, but seems like a lot of them went to Spartan .

FWIW, the truck tire shop I used to mount & balance the new tires I bought saw nothing wrong with my GY takeoffs, and they gave me a $75.00 each credit for the casings. I assume they were sold as used tires (only had around 15,000 miles on them), or sent to a retreader. I'm just happy to be done with them.
Old 01-02-2018, 04:15 PM   #8

Steer tire blowouts cause me to lose sleep. Glad to hear you solved your problem. No imbalance problem here, no rivering. Just gettin' old (no, the tires!)
Old 01-02-2018, 07:11 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
once of prevention

I agree with the fear of a front tire blowout so had these put into my last 3 mh "just in case". Do not feel a few thousand should matter when it comes to the safety of my loved ones be that 2 or 4 legged. IMHO

Why Tyron?

long owners thread on Entegra:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/tyro...on-305282.html

Haven't needed them but that is OK with me!
John
John U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 08:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzbill View Post

And due for replacement, eh?
When I bought our RV, the GY670s were 5 years old and truly scary to look at.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 08:34 PM   #11

My one GY670 steer tire blowout (245/75R 19.5) was enough to send me to the tire dealer and consign the other 5 to the scrap barrel. No more GY for me!!
Old 01-02-2018, 08:50 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
So glad this thread started. Since joining iRV a short time ago, I have come across a number of mentions of GY tires in a very negative light across a number of threads. The first major outlays for our 'new to us' MH, was to buy a TPMS and new tires all around, GY G670 265/75R22.5's.

So, would you believe, I'm concerned. Just how widespread are these problems supposed to be? I have lots of good history with GY on passenger, LT, and trailer tires, but this is the first with steel, and the history reported on iRV is not looking good. But then, I'm only hearing about the problems. Insights?
gvjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 09:02 PM   #13

Is there a particular year of manufacture for good year rv tires that are blowing out or is it all of them?

We currently have the 295/80R22.5 dated 2012
irishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 05:49 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis

In had a GY 670 RV 295/80R22.5 fail on my right front steer axle in 2012. This was on a 42 foot Monaco DP. Damage exceeded $50k. Tire was less than five years old. Perfect tread. Less than 25,000 miles. No warning. Shredded and came completely off the wheel. Going about 65 on I-45 at the time. Replaced the whole set with Michelin’s.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0243.JPG
Views:	244
Size:	407.9 KB
ID:	187618Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0247.JPG
Views:	267
Size:	479.2 KB
ID:	187619

I do run a TPMS and usually keep the fronts at about 105-110.
2017 Dutch Star 4018 - Sold - Towing Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
deaton is offline   Reply With Quote