Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2013, 01:46 PM   #1

Goodyear tire wear

I have a 40 foot class A that has Goodyear 275/70 R 22.5 tires. I had it aligned a year ago, then took a cross country trip recently. When I returned there was excessive wear on the outside edge of the front tires with cord showing. I returned to the alignment shop and they said everything was aligned perfectly. They told me that Goodyear has a reputation for this type of tire wear. That seems unlikely to me as the tire was destroyed in 7000 miles. Has anyone heard of unusual tire wear with Goodyear tires?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20131028_114026.png
Views:	158
Size:	391.8 KB
ID:	48725   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20131028_114416.png
Views:	136
Size:	391.8 KB
ID:	48726  

Name:	ForumRunner_20131028_114545.png
Views:	141
Size:	466.9 KB
ID:	48727  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2013, 01:53 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Wow that is some tire wear. Is it both fronts?
They better recheck alignment, as well as toe in.

Mjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:54 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
I have never seen a tire problem that would cause wear like that, that's got to be an alignment issue. Are both tires like that or just one? and I'm assuming they are steer axle?
Old 10-28-2013, 02:04 PM   #4

Goodyear has known edge wear issues but this looks more like alignment---they say they checked the front end, did they also check the "thrust angle" for the back axle?????
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 02:10 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
Goodyear has known edge wear issues but this looks more like alignment---they say they checked the front end, did they also check the "thrust angle" for the back axle?????
I have heard of "rivering" but the tire wear in those photos is far from that. How many miles do you have on the tires? I have 20K on my Goodyear G670s and they still look new. Think I'd try another alignment shop before I replaced those tires.
Richard

On edit: I see you only have 7K miles-wow.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:23 PM   #6

Thanks for the comments. I just talked to a tire shop and they told me that the tires really should have been replaced prior to having a proper alignment. The tire shop recommended another alignment shop so I think I may just start from scratch.
Old 10-28-2013, 03:32 PM   #7

I have 25,000 miles on my 22.5" G670's, and they do not show any wear pattern. In fact, they really don't show any noticeable wear at all. I had Baltimore Freightliner do a 4 wheel laser alignment soon after I had the tires installed at the Wingfoot dealer in Baltimore. I have no complaints about Goodyear.

I am sure your front end alignment is really off.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 04:00 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
I've commented on alignments before. Just because an alignment shop says that the angles are correct does not mean squat. The guys that did mine did it old school. In other words they didn't use a computer but hand gauges. They also don't set the alignment according to specs but according to what they have done for 40 years on 18-wheelers. They said if you set it according to Ford's (in my case an F-53 gasser chassis) specs it will wear the tires.
I also had a Ford alignment tech (now retired) tell me that you should never cold bend a Ford front axle. The camber is set at the factory and shouldn't ever need to be set. If the camber is off how do you set it, except by bending the axles. There is no other way to do it. When I had the alignment checked, even though it didn't drive badly EVERY alignment angle was off and it had been set at the factory and the coach only had 600 miles on it when it was re-aligned.

Total toe-in should be 1/16" or 1/32" for each tire. That specification for total toe is about standard for almost all vehicles. If you want to know if the shop knows what they are doing ask them what they typically set the total toe to. If set correctly you should get 150,000 miles on a set of front tires. Keep in mind that only three things will change alignment angles:
1. If the original factory settings were off.
2. Worn steering parts (tie rods, bushings, ball-joints pitman arm bushings etc.)
3. Hitting something and bending something that keeps the tires aligned correctly.
Wheel bearings not adjusted correctly will also cause excessive wheel movement which is not good for the tires or bearings.

Here's what I believe is true regarding changing worn tires before an alignment. If the alignment is off, you've worn the tires badly. The tires wore because the weight was not placed on the tire tread where it needed to be. Now you have it properly aligned. Those worn tires won't effect or accelerate the tire to wear any more than it was before. All the alignment does is to properly place the load (weight) of the vehicle correctly on the tread. If the tread is worn because of misalignment correcting the bad angles will only place the load where it needs to be. The tires wore badly because the weight was placed improperly on the tires.

Your job now is to find an old school alignment shop that handles 18-wheelers and knows what they are doing, and will do alignments on MH's

I only paid $150 for a quality alignment that took the guy 3 hours to do.

Best of luck and please report what happens.

TeJay
Old 10-28-2013, 04:08 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
The picture is showing a tire with half the tread gone. That is not wear that is a thrown tread. Some where out west is an alligator from your tire.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:20 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
The picture is showing a tire with half the tread gone. That is not wear that is a thrown tread. Some where out west is an alligator from your tire.
That should read, This is not wear! It is a thrown tread.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:41 PM   #11

Thanks again for the comments. I have been looking for a better alignment shop. I'm in San Diego and there are very few facilities that work on 18 wheelers here because we don't have any freeways that pass through San Diego.
I don't think it through the tread. The additional picture shows another area of wear on the same tire. The other thing that has been suggested could be my problem is shocks.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:43 PM   #12

Name:	ForumRunner_20131028_154245.png
Views:	169
Size:	411.4 KB
ID:	48736
Old 10-28-2013, 06:31 PM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
I would think he would have heard that. And both front tires ? In the same 7000 miles ?
Old 10-28-2013, 06:32 PM   #14

I assume your Ultimate Freedom is on a Spartan chassis, mine is. You might contact Spartan and obtain the alignment specs for your MM chassis. If the only thing that changed was the wheel alignment, that had to be the root cause, providing the tires had normal wear patterns prior.
Who knows, your coach might have been the alignment guys first solo job.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote