Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2014, 06:44 PM   #1

Got a $200,000 budget. What would you buy?

Hi Guys,

Newbie here. Just joined today. Never owned an RV but have borrowed from friends, been with friends multiple times etc. I have the bug and have narrowed my list down to a handful. I will be traveling with my wife and two kids as well as my parents from time to time. Definitely need room for 6 to sleep BUT DEFINITELY DONT WANT A TAG AXLE . Looking at Newmar Ventana & Ventana LE, Tiffin Allegro RED and Phaeton, ENTEGRA, Winnebago/Itasca, and Fleetwood in that order.I have read good and bad about all of them on here. Obviously, I need some real world advise and help here. Please feel free to chime in. Thanks in advance!
BlakeEatmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2014, 06:53 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club

Glad you're aboard. Find the one with the floor plan that you and your DW feel best suits your needs and desires. Then shop around for the best deal. Personally for me I'm more inclined to go with a higher end used coach. Lots of good buys out there if you look. Best of luck i your search and decision. Enjoy your adventures and be safe.
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 06:58 PM   #3

Thanks! Any one specific that you have in mind. Im open to all suggestions.
Old 09-28-2014, 07:03 PM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeEatmon View Post
Thanks! Any one specific that you have in mind. Im open to all suggestions.
Newmars....DS, Mountain Aire, Essex.

American Coach....Revolution, American Eagle, Heritage.

Gotta sell the S&B first.
Old 09-28-2014, 07:11 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Newbie here. Just joined today. Never owned an RV but have borrowed from friends, been with friends multiple times etc. I have the bug and have narrowed my list down to a handful. I will be traveling with my wife and two kids as well as my parents from time to time. Definitely need room for 6 to sleep BUT DEFINITELY DONT WANT A TAG AXLE . Looking at Newmar Ventana & Ventana LE, Tiffin Allegro RED and Phaeton, ENTEGRA, Winnebago/Itasca, and Fleetwood in that order.I have read good and bad about all of them on here. Obviously, I need some real world advise and help here. Please feel free to chime in. Thanks in advance!

Why no tag ? And in all caps no less

6 people and their gear might get close to being overweight on front or rear axle without the tag to help.....many don't know how many coaches are close to being overweight with just full fuel and full water tanks.

The tag coaches also usually give 2 or 5 feet more length, again making more room for 6 people.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 07:19 PM   #6

Just trying to keep it to 40 feet or less. Most of the tags I see are over 40 feet. Never experienced a tag so maybe I'm being short sighted. I just figured the longer it is, the less maneuverability.
Old 09-28-2014, 07:23 PM   #7

I urge you to not rule out a tag forthwith until you have driven one, and after you understand the benefits.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 07:25 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Just trying to keep it to 40 feet or less. Most of the tags I see are over 40 feet. Never experienced a tag so maybe I'm being short sighted. I just figured the longer it is, the less maneuverability.
FWIW, I can get my 43' tag DSDP in places I couldn't get my 39' gasser.

OK...I think it would be a good idea to expand on your expected uses. For example, will it be full time, why sleeping 6 and other background.

I suppose sleeping 6 suggests you still have kids around and thus I'm thinking that you aren't looking at FT use yet.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 08:08 PM   #9

LA Gulf Coast Campers
Buy used and invest the rest...
Old 09-28-2014, 08:18 PM   #10

Expanding on uses: Not full time. We have 2 young kids 8 and 4. Football games, Nascar races, Disney, Grand Canyon, Florida Keys etc.
Old 09-28-2014, 08:27 PM   #11

I looked at a 36 foot three axle Country Coach before I bought my Mountain Aire. Just wanted the extra room inside.
Old 09-28-2014, 09:44 PM   #12

We've thoroughly enjoyed and have had excellent luck with our 40' Newmar with no tag. We fit in forest service campgrounds, national parks, state parks, etc.

Compare the chassis and workmanship with all your choices and THEN pick the floorplan. A good floorplan does no good if other components aren't up to par. Have fun searching!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 09:48 PM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
Why no tag ? And in all caps no less

6 people and their gear might get close to being overweight on front or rear axle without the tag to help.....many don't know how many coaches are close to being overweight with just full fuel and full water tanks.

The tag coaches also usually give 2 or 5 feet more length, again making more room for 6 people.
Yep, our 2002 DSDP was 50#s overweight on the front axle when it left the factory before ever got aboard or loaded anything. Newmar had Spartan replace the OEM 12,000# with a 14,600# unit, then I upgraded tires to use the new capacity.
Should also add: the rear axle was rated at 19,000#'s by Newmar, while at the Spartan factory they looked the whole rig over and said the axle was a 20,000# unit and there was no reason to derate it to 19,000#'s.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 10:06 PM   #14

Solo Rvers Club
If you decide to buy used make sure you have a RVIA certifed tech check all the house systems and a reputable mechanic check the chassis. Check this thread to help understand why. JMHO

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/pre-p...ts-204665.html